IGNORED

Lynx screen dead. Will a LCD upgrade fix it?

Austin

Hey guys, I am looking to get some advice in regards to a dead screen in my Lynx (Model II). The system appears to work and I get sound from the unit, but the screen always appears the way it does in the attached photo. Is this a sign of a bad screen, or is it another issue all together? The white splotches/streaks always appear in the same positions which made me think it was just a bad screen, and not something else like bad caps. If that's the case, do you think the LCD upgrade will correct the issue? Seeing the rising prices of Lynx systems, I am thinking if a LCD upgrade will correct the issue, it will be better to go that route than buying another unit.

post-24675-0-75510300-1468803970_thumb.jpg

Yup, that's a problem with the screen itself, (dead/leaky pixels?). Nothing you can do to fix but replace. I had one just like it, and did the LCD upgrade (McWill mod) and everything is as good as new. If you just swapped out for a normal LCD, that will also fix it.

• Like 2

Yup, that's a problem with the screen itself, (dead/leaky pixels?). Nothing you can do to fix but replace. I had one just like it, and did the LCD upgrade (McWill mod) and everything is as good as new. If you just swapped out for a normal LCD, that will also fix it.

Great, thanks! I had a feeling it was just a dead screen but wanted to make sure. I think in that case I'll get the LCD upgrade w/VGA port sometime in the near future.

Ah, I re-read your post. I thought you were just asking about the white pixel marks (which is a permanent problem for sure). If nothing is displaying at all, maybe re-seating the ribbon might help? I'd still recommend the McWill screen anyway, just cos it's so darn good.

Hey guys, I am looking to get some advice in regards to a dead screen in my Lynx (Model II). The system appears to work and I get sound from the unit, but the screen always appears the way it does in the attached photo. Is this a sign of a bad screen, or is it another issue all together? The white splotches/streaks always appear in the same positions which made me think it was just a bad screen, and not something else like bad caps. If that's the case, do you think the LCD upgrade will correct the issue? Seeing the rising prices of Lynx systems, I am thinking if a LCD upgrade will correct the issue, it will be better to go that route than buying another unit.

attachicon.gifindex.jpg

Do games boot though? Do you hear the game playing? If not, it could be that the MOSFET / zener diode has failed and killed the motherboard, and if you attach a new LCD screen to that you will likely kill that too.

Do games boot though? Do you hear the game playing?

Yeah, I mentioned I hear sound in the second sentence. (I should have clarified in the post, yes, games are playing). :)

Ah, I re-read your post. I thought you were just asking about the white pixel marks (which is a permanent problem for sure). If nothing is displaying at all, maybe re-seating the ribbon might help? I'd still recommend the McWill screen anyway, just cos it's so darn good.

If I have some time, maybe I'll crack it open just for grins and re-seat the cable like you suggested.

Yeah, I mentioned I hear sound in the second sentence. (I should have clarified in the post, yes, games are playing). :)

If I have some time, maybe I'll crack it open just for grins and re-seat the cable like you suggested.

Sorry, my bad! Speed reading doesn't always work well for me lol, in this case I missed a line!

If you need a McWill screen, I have several for sale (I'm in the US and resell them here). Also, if you just want a stock screen to try, I'll gladly send you one if you cover shipping. I have a pile of working stock screens (from ones I've McWill modded)

• Like 1

If you need a McWill screen, I have several for sale (I'm in the US and resell them here). Also, if you just want a stock screen to try, I'll gladly send you one if you cover shipping. I have a pile of working stock screens (from ones I've McWill modded)

That's actually not a bad idea at all. It'll be a little while before I can afford the LCD upgrade, so if I can slap an original screen in its place in the meantime, that works for me. I'll shoot you a PM.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The plot thickens..

Cowdog generously sent me a known good replacement screen back in August or so. Four months later, I finally got around to replacing it.

The zinger? It's still not working. :(

The splotches are gone, but there's still no picture. Backlight works fine. I'm pretty sure I've got the ribbon cables in correctly, as well as the three-pin connector.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I am powering it via batteries at the moment since I don't have access to an A\C adapter. I noticed the smaller ribbon cable travels straight from the battery compartment, so I'm not sure if there's an issue with that.

I'm curious to know if there's anything else I should try to look for or do. I took a flashlight to all the caps and they all seem fine, I don't see any form of leakage whatsoever.

I snapped a quick and dirty video to show the unit on/sound working: