IGNORED

Best A/V to HDMI converter for VCS?

Is there an A/V to HDMI converter that can have its comb filter disabled? The A/V to HDMI converters that I have (that are based on SiliconImage ASICs), have the tendency to merge fields together, or to apply a _VERY_ oppressive comb filter, which while it does improve the sharpness of certain transitions (large playfield blocks, etc.), it of course causes a nasty striped fringe around extreme transitions (especially for small objects)... I'd like to know if anyone has found a flexible AV to HDMI converter, or if I will need to research on creating my own.

(I am aware of RGB modifications for my VCS, I am considering those as well, but I am just curious as to what's out there..)

-Thom

Perfect HDMI picture:

Mod the 2600 with Tim Worthington's 2600rgb (http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/)

RGB cable

Frameister sRGB mini (https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit)

The mod requires desoldering of a chip and soldering. Unless you are good with a soldering iron, it is best to pay someone to do it.

You will have a perfect proportional picture with absolute clarity and no interference. With or without scan lines (your choice). I'll post some screen shots when I am home.

A good read about the xrgb mini: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html

I am very familiar with the 2600RGB and have been watching it closely... I was more interested in what upscalers people were using to deal with the finished signal...Everybody seems to point to the Framemeister...so I will bite the bullet....eventually... :)

-Thom

In what way is it better than connecting the VCS directly to your tv?

The composite upscaling in the XRGB is much better than the one in LCDs TVs, with a slightly sharper image and much better framerate (proper 60fps).

I didn't expect it and was very pleasantly surprised when I tried at first with a SNES; on those old sprite flickering effects any frame drops are obvious.

Your mileage may vary of course. My TV was a Samsung of around 2009, but I wouldn't be surprised if modern ones go cheap on composite too.

Edited by Newsdee