IGNORED

One reason to buy a 5200...

sramirez2008

Since you have a controller holder, try to pick up a copy of Space Dungeon. You won't regret it!

I already have it and agree!

I'm expecting an Ultimate SD cart any day so I'll be exploring the 5200 library for a bit.

The Ultimate SD cart is great! Allows you to add so many games to your library.

When you get it download Blowsub. Thanks playsoft!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247919-blowsub/?hl=+blowsub

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 2

I have been playing the heck out of my 5200 thanks to my Ultimate SD. My trak ball arrived too. Good times!

It's been fun hunting down games to load. I like how games like Popeye have been improved. I've learned, well caught a glimpse of what an awesome community you guys have built.

• Like 1

Don't be scared. I was afraid too, but am glad I decided to get this console.

Just send your CX52s or order the Gold kit from Best Electronics. I can confirm that the Best sticks really do work well.

A pair of Best CX52s and an AtariMax cart is all you need.

The Ultimate SD cart is great! Allows you to add so many games to your library.

When you get it download Blowsub. Thanks playsoft!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247919-blowsub/?hl=+blowsub

Playsoft also converted Missile Command+ and Slime. Give that Trak-Ball a workout! I have my AtariMax SD Cart on order... Can't wait to play those conversions!

Where are you, Playsoft? :)

• Like 1

Missile Command+ is great! I haven't tried Slime yet, but over the weekend I tried Oil's Well and that conversion is great too. That's a really fun game.

Here's the link to the Oil's Well conversion: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222047-oils-well-atari-5200/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3033739

5 reasons:

1) Because it has the best version of Star Raiders, which is easily the best space combat game ever made.
2) Because it shares the ANTIC/GTIA/POKEY chipset with the home computer and XEGS..
3) Because it's what I had as a kid in the early 80s.
4) Because the case looks kewl as hell.
5) Because it's NOT a 2600 or NES.

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 2

1. Because I always wanted one. When I was reading comic books as a kid, and saw all the awesome ads for early-to-mid-'80s games, many of them were offered for the 2600 and 5200. Especially the games I most wanted (Mario Bros, Star Wars, etc.). I knew, somehow, that the 5200 was where it was at.

2. Because, after diving back into "classic-era" retro gaming, I found out that I what I loved most was the arcade-style gameplay from that period. And it turned out that the 5200 was home to a TON of arcade ports and arcade-style gaming that was a cut above the graphics and processing of the 2600, but with all that early-'80s gameplay magic.

3. (Most importantly) Because my favorite local game shop offered me a four-port for $20. "As-is", but with a return option if it was DOA. Even spending another $50 (total) on a replacement power supply, an RF switchbox online, and then the parts to build a replacement switchbox when the one I bought was a dud, it was still a good enough deal for me. And it looks and plays great.

Long live the 5200.

• Like 1

Playsoft also converted Missile Command+ and Slime. Give that Trak-Ball a workout! I have my AtariMax SD Cart on order... Can't wait to play those conversions!

Where are you, Playsoft? :)

Missile Command+ wasn't me, but I modified Bug Hunt to use the trak-ball which is on this forum somewhere.

Earlier this year I did some work with Darryl on DK and DKJr:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248578-donkey-kong-jr-atari-5200-arcade-enhanced/?p=3429463

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249885-atari-a8-donkey-kong-hack/?p=3497095

Since then I've actually found some enthusiasm to get on with the project that was my reason for buying a 5200 in the first place - AB!

• Like 2

Both are great twin stick games. :-D

I have both Space Dungeon and Robotron: 2084, bought them when they first came out, also have the controller holders that came with each, they are MUSTS for any 5200 owner!!! I also hear that the prototype for Battlezone was also going to be designed to work with twin sticks as well, I'm not quite sure, but I'll try and find out as I DO own Battlezone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also hear that the prototype for Battlezone was also going to be designed to work with twin sticks as well, I'm not quite sure, but I'll try and find out as I DO own Battlezone.

I have 5200 Battlezone on my Atarimax. Have to admit that I've never given this proto a look, but need to try the twin stick mode.

Thanks BIGHMW!

• Like 1

I bought mine a few years ago after wanting to try one out to see how it stacked up to the Colecovision. All I knew about the 5200 is that it was considered by some to be a flop, and that finding working controllers was tough. A local flea market vendor that I buy from a lot had a nice bundle for sale, and I bought it for a very reasonable price. I got a 4-port model, one working controller, and about 10-15 games, many of which were CIB. A few weeks later, my awesome wife found a bag of "old Atari games" at the Salvation Army for $5 that turned out to have about 10 more 5200 games and two Wico joysticks! And then, a few weeks later at that flea market, some guy had a Trak-Ball controller in a pile of junk electronics that I snagged for $2! I haven't fired it up in a couple of years, and I really should. It's a pretty cool console.

• Like 2

I remembered it from a few brief plays at a friends house from when it was new. I remember Defender feeling incredibly fast and difficult, as well as noisy like the arcade. That was neat. I always thought it would be the SUPER SYSTEM (based on advertising, of course) but never got around to getting one of my own for another 10 years.

In the early 1990s, I wanted to play some giant 5200 cartridges I found at a thrift store, including Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle. I traded away a bunch of rare games, including 2600 Road Runner, to the famous Tim Duarte of 2600 Connection for a working console.

I expected something more arcade-like than what I got. I was hungry for a cool Star Wars experience, but if you know ROTFDSB, it's pretty much the same game on the 5200 as it is on the 2600. That, along with the floppy controllers, prompted me to ditch that giant slab of Atari pretty darn quick. I forget what I did with it, probably sold it on rec.games.video.marketplace knowing my behavior at the time.

I just ordered the Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD cart and it should be coming in in about a few days, I hope it has (and will have) every game ever made from 1982-86 and most if not all the homebrews, prototypes, and 8-bit XL conversions, also I happen to be low income and cannot afford to go after a 5200 version of Bounty Bob Strikes Back on eBay which would wind up being $400.00 for just it, when for $130.00 I get almost all games for it (and more coming soon). I hope there is a 5200 version of Yars' Revenge I can download for it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to imagine what it would have been like to have a top of the line console in 1982, get the Atari 5200. Imagine the massive box coming home with a huge, well-made console, full color manuals, great looking cartridges -- all ready to battle the Colecovision to be the best system to bring the arcade experience home.

• Like 1

I just ordered the Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD cart and it should be coming in in about a few days, I hope it has (and will have) every game ever made from 1982-86 and most if not all the homebrews, prototypes, and 8-bit XL conversions, also I happen to be low income and cannot afford to go after a 5200 version of Bounty Bob Strikes Back on eBay which would wind up being $400.00 for just it, when for $130.00 I get almost all games for it (and more coming soon). I hope there is a 5200 version of Yars' Revenge I can download for it soon.

That would be nice... a 5200 version of Yar's Revenge. Someone made a version for the C64 in the past few years...