IGNORED

Cartridge vs CD like analog vs digital?

turkeyjerky1991

Thats like comparing a Flashdrive/SSD to a CD or mechanical hard drive.

Look at N64 it looks great about as good as a Game Cube.

The reason they went from Carts to CD's/DVD eventually was they held more data and were cheaper to mass produce at the time.

A cart is faster its like an SSD but need special equipment to write to it.

They still basically use Cart for handhelds. Its just a form of data storage it has nothing to do with analog/digital, the data written to it could be either.

I almost think anything with a CPU in it is more digital than analog, I think from this respective the analog/digital comes into play where the Video/Audio output is concerned.

Not really. The analogy doesn't make sense, because it's all digital.

I suppose you could force some hipster view of it, like cartridges are old school like vinyl records while CD games are from the 1990s CD music, if you're really into labeling things.

It's all data, it's all bits, ones and zeroes. The medium only really matters to people who like to collect boxes. It's not like cartridges play the game significantly differently from ROMs on a hard drive.

• Like 1

No. not really. CD and cart are all digital.

Cartridges came about as a consumer & kid friendly way of changing the program ROM on a fixed-function single-board computer. It would not do to hand a 6yr old a chip puller and the bare chip. CDs were adapted to computers (CD-ROM) a cheap way to increase removable storage for computers and games.

Analog vs. digital music storage.. Two entirely separate worlds and methods of storing the same information. And discussions here usually revolve around accuracy of reproduction.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Maybe someone can answer this: My Panasonic Tau CRT television was sitting on a guitar speaker cabinet and the image started to drift downward and colors changed. Once removed from the top of the cabinet, everything seemed to go back to normal. I realize this was caused by the speaker magnets, but could this have done any permanent damage?

Probably no permanently damage if it wasn't there for too long. Most CRTs degausse themselves when they get turned on. More here http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/experiments/exp/magnets-and-tvs/

Weird things can happen when you turn a big TV on its side, too -- as I found out in the Sega Saturn days playing some games in "Tate" aspect mode.

Probably no permanently damage if it wasn't there for too long. Most CRTs degausse themselves when they get turned on. More here http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/experiments/exp/magnets-and-tvs/

Weird things can happen when you turn a big TV on its side, too -- as I found out in the Sega Saturn days playing some games in "Tate" aspect mode.

Good to know. Thanks!