IGNORED

Doncaster Racecourse & Agenda-99 games

Retrospect

Hello everyone.

Created using XB256 and it's compiler, here is "Doncaster Racecourse", a modest attempt at a horse-racing game. Play solo or better still, with friends.

This game is intended for use with the F18A board from CodeHackCreate, ensure the sprite limitation is switched off.

Or you can use it in emulation with F18A mode on or Flicker Off. :)

Changes:

* Game now displays a random 'sponsorship banner' ... all name's you'll recognise
* Parallax scrolling is now the fastest I can get it to go!
* The music has been completely overhauled with a funky tune
* Attract mode in title screen (after song finishes)

* Background noise of crowd added (negative white noise so as not to slow game down)

* Game comes on 3 EA5 files so people can convert to cartridge if they so desire

Doncaster F18 EA5.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also created recently, a new plane bombing game called Agenda-99. 4 screens of action, compiled for accuracy and speed. Two modes of play, normal and insane. Press B to release bombs!

This game requires the Editor/Assembler cartridge, loading uses option 5 and the filename.

:)

post-34058-0-84463000-1470493602_thumb.png

AGENDA-99.zip

post-34058-0-86861300-1470398114_thumb.png

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 12

Created using XB256 and it's compiler, here is "Doncaster Racecourse", a modest attempt at a horse-racing game. Play solo or better still, with friends.

Hey, sounds interesting! I downloaded it and am looking forward to checking it out when I get home later today.

Just curious, is it going to be available in FR99 format soon too?

• Like 1

Thank you, I tried but the TI just re-boots. It looks like 3 of the files make up the E/A-5 part and I see a 4th file. What does that file do? Can it be added so that it will convert?

The fourth file is a file that Classic99 and JS99er can use, it thinks it's a disk and just boots that one program.

There's 3 EA5 files .... so try swapping them around and using just two ... normally there should only be two?

I think some random part of another EA5 file might have gotten mixed in with them, unless it needs all 3 due to the memory (its 18K)

The fourth file is a file that Classic99 and JS99er can use, it thinks it's a disk and just boots that one program.

There's 3 EA5 files .... so try swapping them around and using just two ... normally there should only be two?

I think some random part of another EA5 file might have gotten mixed in with them, unless it needs all 3 due to the memory (its 18K)

I tried swapping them, did not work. And if I leave off the 3rd file it does not work. I don't know enough about how all this works to do anything else. Any chance you could save it again without the 3rd file?

Thank you, I tried but the TI just re-boots. It looks like 3 of the files make up the E/A-5 part and I see a 4th file. What does that file do? Can it be added so that it will convert?

After compiling an XB program you use the "compiler loader" to load the object code into memory. This step creates a one line XB program with all the assembly language code embedded in it. This behaves as a normal XB program when saving, loading and running. There is an option to convert the program to EA5 format which is compatible with the E/A loader. One difference is that the files do not load starting at >A000, which is where EA5 programs normally load. Instead they load the 3 files GAME, GAMF, GAMG to the same memory locations used by the XB program. Maybe Flash Rom 99 is not taking this into account?

• Like 2

Nothing modest about it. Found myself cheering my horse on, which is exactly what a horse race game should accomplish. Horse performance seems to be a blend of odds and random chance which is also spot on.

The animation is great, and the graphics are quite pleasing.

There are a few horse racing games out there for the TI (including a Compute! Xbasic type-in), but none of them ever had any replay value for me. This one does.

Kudos. Well done!

• Like 2

Nothing modest about it. Found myself cheering my horse on, which is exactly what a horse race game should accomplish. Horse performance seems to be a blend of odds and random chance which is also spot on.

The animation is great, and the graphics are quite pleasing.

There are a few horse racing games out there for the TI (including a Compute! Xbasic type-in), but none of them ever had any replay value for me. This one does.

Kudos. Well done!

Thankyou Pebo! :)

Go to the top of the thread for a new game! Agenda-99. :)

Will Agenda-99 be good for Flash-Rom?

I found the problem with Module Creator's conversion of Doncaster Racecourse to a FlashROM-99 binary. The same problem obtains for Agenda-99. It's a nasty bug with Module Creator's copy counter, which is decremented 2 bytes at a time for copying words (2 bytes at a time). The counter is checked for 0, which is fine for an even count; but, both Doncaster Racecourse and Agenda-99 have odd copy counts. Until Fred fixes this bug, which I'm sure he will once he hears of it, the fix is to insure that the copy count for the last E/A5 file is always even.* The copy count is contained in the 3rd and 4th bytes of each E/A5 file.

For Doncaster Racecourse, change the 4th byte in the file, GAMEG, from >65 to >66: 00 00 07 65 F8 82 to 00 00 07 66 F8 82

For Agenda-99, change the 4th byte in the file, AGENDB, from >A1 to >A2: 00 00 17 A1 E8 46 to 00 00 17 A2 E8 46

...lee

* This assumes that the byte count for all but the last E/A5 file is even. I believe this is always true.

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 3

Fred Kaal (@F.G. Kaal) has graciously updated Module Creator 2.0 to force loading of an even number of bytes. This insures that Module Creator 2.0 can successfully convert an E/A5 program with an odd number of bytes (such as can happen with some exports from Harry Wilhelm's (@senior_falcon's) XB Compiler) to operable ROM binaries, including those targeted to the FlashROM-99 cartridge. Thanks, Fred!

You can download the current Module Creator 2.0 from the “Modules” page of Fred's website.

...lee

• Like 2

Here is the 2nd revision of Doncaster Racecourse.

It addresses issues I've found with the 1st revision, namely, the biggest issue - we can't win over $32,767 otherwise it will hit a minus figure. This one I should have remembered before releasing the game. :) ...... (I fixed it by giving less generous odds and having a $100 bet limit)

The second issue to be resolved, was the random garbage it would display on the screen when a certain horse won in a certain condition. Being unable to find the condition OR the horse I simply re-wrote the whole win decider routine. That took 3 cups of coffee, an asprin, and 2 episodes of Doctor Who "Terror of the Autons" whilst waiting for it to assemble and compile across various stages of relentless testing.

There are also some different little tunes in there. Tunes for race introduction and winning are chosen at random.

Also, the scrolling has been fixed - the hedges in the far background scroll every 3 pixels and the far fence posts scroll 6 pixels. This is to give better illusion of realistic movement.

My next revision, I don't know when, will fix it so that the game comes on TWO EA5 files instead of three! ... I know there's code I can tidy up, 3K of it is the culprit.

DONCASTER2.zip

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 4

I was watching an older episode of Poirot where Doncaster was a potential murder location. I wouldn't have known the link to or 'significance' otherwise ;)

Nicely done

haha , yeah it's based on a real racecourse in Doncaster, England. I've done Arlington Horse-Racing, years ago, and thought it was time for a more advanced effort that takes advantage of some of XB256's extensions. :)

There's an F18-A version of Doncaster Racecourse on it's way.

Updates:

* more clouds in the sky, not just 2 (each is two sprites)

* each horse has a shadow on the ground (look at the Mame Rom 'Arlington Horseracing' you'll see where i got that from)

* the horse you betted on has an arrow following it through the race

* title screen has an attract mode which displays a giant St Leger Festival sign, and the words F18A - CodeHackCreate

Game to be posted here later. :)

• Like 2