Photo

Respeqt usage questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 kd0rg OFFLINE  

kd0rg

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2016 5:06 PM

I have played around with RespeQT a bit and have gotten it to work, booted into a few games and demos (atr files), and booted into TurboBasic.  It works great.

I'm wondering how I would use drives 2 through 8 ( or more ).  Can I make a blank virtual disk and save some basic programs to it?  If so, how?  I have read the manual but it doesn't make it apparent.  Is this similar to the folder option?  Now that I think about it, it probably is.

Can someone give me a scenario where one might use all the drives?

Thanks

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,959 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:15 PM

Well suppose you have a game disk Side A.ATR mounted as  D1:. You might have the same disk Side B mounted as D2:  and then do a drag and drop swap between them when the game tells you to flip over the disk. Or you might have a blank, formatted .ATR as D2: to use for save files. Pretty much a virtual equivalent of how many folks use or used two physical floppy drives back in the day.

As for D3: - D Whatever: ... that's limited only by your imagination. Format a few DSDD .ATR's and you have quite a bit of storage handy (in 8-bit terms at least) and usable just like you'd use and physical disks in an array of physical drives.

#3 kd0rg OFFLINE  

kd0rg

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:34 PM

OK, cool.  I didn't realize that I could switch disks on the fly but it makes sense.  I did not own an Atari computer until year or so ago and have never really used the machines before that.

I will create a few disks ( I see how to do that now ) and play around with it.

Thanks DrVenkman

#4 JoSch ONLINE  

JoSch

Moonsweeper

• 491 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2016 12:48 AM

I will create a few disks ( I see how to do that now ) and play around with it.

RespeQt can make disk images for you. Don't forget to format them with the DOS of your choice.

#5 kd0rg OFFLINE  

kd0rg

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2016 9:45 AM

RespeQt can make disk images for you. Don't forget to format them with the DOS of your choice.

Is there a way to format the disk image with RespeQT or do I need to do that from my 800?  I want to create a disk image and add some basic programs to it that I have on my PC.

I see that the disk properties window has a dropdown menu for the filesystem but not sure why as it doesn't seem to do anything if I change it.  Would it be used for the folder option?

Edited by kd0rg, Sat Aug 6, 2016 9:48 AM.

#6 JoSch ONLINE  

JoSch

Moonsweeper

• 491 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2016 9:46 AM

You do it from your 800. Load a DOS and use its way to format a disk.

#7 kd0rg OFFLINE  

kd0rg

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2016 10:44 AM

You do it from your 800. Load a DOS and use its way to format a disk.

Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users