IGNORED

Altirra missile command sound issue

Tifany

hey all!

Ive been playing with emulation all morning after taking a break from it from a while. I downloaded the newest version of Altirra and when I play MIssile Command, there are sound effects missing... the whoosh as you fire a missile and the beeps when youre out of ammo for example. It sounds fine when using the old Atari 800 emu, and on XLBox on my xbox. Any ideas how to fix it? I did several searches but cant seem to find the answer! I havent noticed any other issues in other games so far.

Thanks Guys!

Tifany

What version of Altirra?

And have you played with the sound options like.. System> Audio> ?

I'm currently using v2.70 as that's the latest stable release. I have all Channels - 1,2,3,4 enabled. I'm also set up for non-stereo audio. Unchecking Channel 3 results in audio like you describe.

Does this fix the problem?

Haven't had sound problems but to fix a mouse problem in missile command I had to go to v2.80-test28 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246939-altirra-270-released/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3488085

The website has a v2.71 for download, I assume that's the latest supported version. As Keetah said, all audio channels should be on.

Hi

Yes, using version 2.7. Ive played around with the audio settings and all 4 channels are checked. Ive even tried running it in Linux under wine and it does the exact same thing. Its got me flustered. I remember having this problem in a past version of Altirra too. I dunno. The game itself plays just fine, its just missing the sounds. Its weird.

Guess Ill keep playing with it!

Thanks guys!

Tif

I haven't seen this in any versions of Missile Command that I have, but occasionally an .exe/.xex or disk-based version of a game will show this behavior. It happens when a ripped version of the game doesn't initialize POKEY correctly after a disk load, and Atari800 unfortunately doesn't emulate the hardware behavior that causes this (asynchronous receive mode). If this is the case, the Audio Monitor (System > Audio > Audio Monitor) will show only audio channels 1 and 2 active. You shouldn't encounter this with a cartridge or original disk version, though.

phaeron, Yup! That was it! I loaded up a ROM instead of an ATR and all the sounds are there! Still its kind of a weird issue... but as long as I can play Missile Command with it sounding as it should, Im a happy girl! Thanks bunches!

Tif