What happened to: FFF Software

Software Basic

43 replies to this topic

#26 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,665 posts

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:43 AM

Much worse (I sold US written games in the UK) was the difference in sprite speeds between UK and US consoles as the sprite speed was tied to the screen refresh rate (think 50Hz and 60Hz), and inevitably Extended Basic programs required modification for the UK market

Not only an issue of Extended Basic but of the whole system, which became all too obvious with our games competition. All games that rely on the video interrupt are running 20% faster on US consoles, from Invaders to Parsec.

#27 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,315 posts

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:05 AM

Most copies of Version 100 TI Extended BASIC were exchanged for the updated Version 110 cartridges, as some of the bugs in the original version had serious effects on programs if those functions were used. I have some notes on it somewhere. There are not a lot of them left in the wild (and so they are probably worth $50 to $75 now, as opposed to about $20 for a Version 110 module). The real problem with getting that though is that the buyer must really understand the difference between the two versions (and recognize the rarity of the V100 module). The V100 modules were only sold for few months, at a time when there were less than 75,000 owners of 99/4 or 99/4A machines. The date code on yours is within the last weeks of 99/4 production, as the last /4s were built in April 1981. That makes the cartridge interesting to those trying to build a /4 set with items that were available while it was still in production (and with date codes in the proper range).

Toucan built a really nice collection of 99/4 items available in 1979 and documented it on his Website.

#28 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:07 PM

The V100 modules were only sold for few months, at a time when there were less than 75,000 owners of 99/4 or 99/4A machines. The date code on yours is within the last weeks of 99/4 production, as the last /4s were built in April 1981.

My older Extended Basic module is date coded as LTA2081 so mine was made in the 20th week of 1981 which would put it sometime in the 3rd week of May.

#29 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:46 PM

People are auctioning off FFF Software manuals? And people are bidding on them? Really? Do you remember how much they sold for?

He asks, knowing he has a garage full of them. :-)

#30 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:08 PM

He asks, knowing he has a garage full of them. :-)

I wish...I do have 2 Shuttle Command manuals and 5 TI-Asteroids manuals (but one of each is reserve for me to keep as mementos. The manual were simply Xerox copies (made on a real Xerox copier) on good quality (for the time) paper and the covers were a card stock paper, also Xerox'ed... we never made up too many booklets in advance, mostly just as orders trickled in. I do have the templates from which the manuals were made, however the tape holding the pages together back-to-back (so we could make the booklet up easily) and some graphic cut-outs affixed to the pages have all yellowed with age making the templates unusable (not that I would take advantage and make new ones up even if I could). Also, I have no idea what brand paper we used... the place we bought the paper from closed up 10 or more years ago and we simply went to a certain bin and bought the paper from it, we never paid attention to what brand it was. So, whatever number of copies of our documentation that are out there "in the wild"... that is all there will ever be. That means anyone who paid a premium to purchase our manuals... your investment is protected as the market will never be flooded by additional copies.

Edited by RickRothstein, Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:16 PM.

#31 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,629 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:40 PM

The other article I sold them was for a fairly nice slot machine program. Here is a link to it...

http://archive.org/s...ge/n83/mode/2up

I still have my entire collection of COMPUTE! magazines from that time, and I distinctly remember typing in and playing your slot machine program.  I was 13 in 1983. ;-)

It was a fun time back then as everything was fresh and new and somewhat groundbreaking at the time. Oh well, we cannot live in the past.

Actually, around here we do. ;-)

#32 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,999 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:56 PM

Absofreakinglutely!  

#33 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:10 PM

I still have my entire collection of COMPUTE! magazines from that time, and I distinctly remember typing in and playing your slot machine program.  I was 13 in 1983. ;-)

I was 38 :-o

I am starting to realize that.

Edited by RickRothstein, Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 PM.

#34 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,989 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 PM

I was 38 :-o

I am starting to realize that.

Someone around here who is almost as old as I  :grin: !

...lee

#35 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,521 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:23 PM

I was 8 in 1983... nice to be one of the younger fellas here! :D

#36 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,397 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 AM

Pretty sure I typed that one in as well when I was 14 or 15..   

#37 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• 2,522 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:44 PM

13 years old in 1983. I'm glad there are some younger folks around here for sure, .......and Lee... and Rick.    

:)

#38 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,665 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:13 PM

13 years old in 1983. :)

Sounds like 1969 ... I was born in September, in the Autumn of '69 (hush, Bryan!)

#39 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 PM

I still have my entire collection of COMPUTE! magazines from that time, and I distinctly remember typing in and playing your slot machine program.

Pretty sure I typed that one in as well when I was 14 or 15..

But did you guys like it  :thumbsup:  or  not  :thumbsdown: ?

#40 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,397 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:04 PM

Of course!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#41 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:21 PM

On this day before Christmas Even and the first night of Hanukkah, I wish a Happy Holidays to the TI community here.

#42 Diecrusher OFFLINE  

Diecrusher

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:13 PM

$27 for the single manual?!!?!? You have got to be kidding. I still have a few originals of each of the manuals in my basement (some cassettes too, but I have no way to prove if they are still readable or not)... maybe I should put the manuals up for auction on ebay, hmm. Thanks for the info... very interesting... and surprising.

You should put them up on ebay autographed!  You have no idea what people will pay for nostalgia these days!  Just ask me! :)

#43 RickRothstein OFFLINE  

RickRothstein

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:31 PM

You should put them up on ebay autographed!  You have no idea what people will pay for nostalgia these days!  Just ask me! :)

So, how much are people willing to pay for nostalgia these days? :grin:

As for autographing them, FFF Software was composed of three people... me (the programmer), Frank (the graphics guy) and Flavian (the documentation guy) and, of course, the three of us collaborated on how the game play should go. I retired here in New Jersey (USA) some 14 years ago, Frank retired somewhere in either North or South Carolina (USA) some 8 or so years ago, and Flavian moved out of the area better than 10 years ago without leaving a forwarding address. So what would an autographed copy of our documentation be worth when only 1/3 the group signed it? I'm thinking my signature alone would add nothing to the value of the documentation.

Edited by RickRothstein, Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:31 PM.

#44 sparkdrummer OFFLINE  

sparkdrummer

Stargunner

• 1,099 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Sat Jun 3, 2017 8:31 AM

Get up you sleeping thread!
Did the manuals for the FFF games ever show up in pdf?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Basic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users