IGNORED

BBC Micro: Acceptable joystick solutions?

YuT666

Hi,

i own a BBC Model B Issue 7 with a sd-card interface and i know about the old joysticks like the Voltmace or the BBC Dual sticks ... and this one ... but are there any useful selfmade solutions to use a simple Comp. Pro, Quickshot or other similar sticks?

I've seen this and this thread here at Atari Age, but are there any solutions with pics and more infos?

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1

I've been meaning to build an Atari to BBC adapter for the past 6-8 years, but haven't gotten to do it. Those appear on eBay every now and then, but sometimes command really crazy prices. RWAP Software a number of years planned to put such adapters into production, but alas they never did.

I'm using a Zipstick which is somewhat OK, but not my preference in terms of joystick action. If you've got some analog PC gameport joysticks, you could also look into what it takes to adapt one of those. I think you would need to alter the resistance and invert the action, similar to how you can connect a PC joystick to an Apple ][, but I never truly looked into the details.

I think if you follow the link to Stardot in my reply in the other thread, you'll find some kind of diagrams but they may be sketchy.

Edit: Actually, the ZX Jim one seems complete, using 6 standard transistors and a number of resistors.

Edited by carlsson

Not overly sure about this one as I have not done any homework on it-but, there are numerous joystick interface available for the Electron and they do show up every now and then on Ebay for not much money. The Electron analogue port was on the plus one interface and is cosmetically identical to the BBC port-just not sure if the pin-outs are the same.

I've tested Hunchback, Repton 3 and other joystick supported Games for about a hour now and the stick works absolutely great without any issues! Don't know, why the seller mentioned the hanging left problem. Everthing is like new (anything except the box, but this isn't very important in my case). The microswitches are in a top condition.

post-47392-0-28744100-1471689414_thumb.jpg

post-47392-0-02116700-1471689418_thumb.jpg

Edited by YuT666
  • Like 2