IGNORED

Just recently bought an Atari 2600!

AskewTV

There are a couple threads that discuss this, but here's a few of my favorites:

Kaboom! If you have paddle controllers and warlords is an awesome multiplayer game.

Also, I really like Laser Gates and Most activision and imagic games. And of course pitfall 1 and 2. Really a simple google/YouTube search for best Atari games would create you a fine list. Oh, and H.E.R.O is amazing! It's metal Jesus rocks favorite Atari 2600 game I believe, and who doesn't trust Jesus! Especially a metal one.

Edited by adamchevy

Must-have:

Crystal Castles

Solaris

Phoenix

Stargate

Ms. Pac-Man

Circus Atari (Paddle)

Pole Position

Centipede

Joust

Moon Patrol

Midnight Magic

Road Runner

Missile Command

Jungle Hunt

Beamrider

Ghostbusters

H.E.R.O.

Pitfall!

Pitfall II

Pressure Cooker

River Raid

Kung Fu-Master

Double Dragon

Enduro

Subterranea

Atlantis

Fathom

Smurf

Wizard of Wor

Polaris

Miner 2049er

Edited by Mister-VCS

Do NOT look directly into one. Don't blow one (into one). Sheew, assuredly don't drop one (sniff...).

I probably wont get a harmony cartridge until Atari games stop being sold at my local stores. If I do it will probably be just for homebrews as I like having the cartridge for older games. Most games are usually in the range of $1 to $3 there. Also thanks everybody for giving me a few games to go out a buy! I hope I will enjoy them! :)

Edited by AskewTV

You don't have to be a collector to like the real cartridges - back in the 80ies players only had cartridges....

I had an Atari 2600 in 1980 so I was around. That was 36 years ago and now thankfully he have modern solutions so that people can enjoy playing the entire library off an SD card for a given console.

I had over 300 carts in my collection before I bought a Harmony cart.

All the money I wasted. All the storage space that was taken. All the time I wasted organizing tubs full of cartridges.

The Harmony cart is the solution to those problems especially if you're like me and still want to play on original hardware. Plus, now with the Harmony cart I can also play ROMs for WIP that people post here on AtariAge on real hardware.

Just something for the OP to take in consideration before diving in.

Got some games from TradeIt:

Combat

Star Raiders

Volley Ball

Barnstorming

Defender

Asteroids

Pitfall

-------------------------------

My atari should come in tomorrow. I got the wrong piece from radioshack. It is a RCA (phono) to F connector (Coax) Female. I have heard that I can just plug that in and then plug a coaxial cable into the back of the piece I got.

------------------------------

Another note: Some of the games you guys didn't list, but my dad helped me pick some out he had when he was little that he liked.

Edited by AskewTV

My atari should come in tomorrow. I got the wrong piece from radioshack. It is a RCA (phono) to F connector (Coax) Female. I have heard that I can just plug that in and then plug a coaxial cable into the back of the piece I got.

------------------------------

Another note: Some of the games you guys didn't list, but my dad helped me pick some out he had when he was little that he liked.

If your piece looks like this:

$_35.JPG

Then yes- you'll be able to use that with a coaxial cable just fine. (Normally the bits I see around my radio shacks have both sides female end, which wouldn't help much.)

Most of us use the opposite adapter:

$_35.JPG

This one goes onto an F-plug cable that connects directly to your system. Either way works fine.

Edited by HoshiChiri

If your piece looks like this:

$_35.JPG

Then yes- you'll be able to use that with a coaxial cable just fine. (Normally the bits I see around my radio shacks have both sides female end, which wouldn't help much.)

Most of us use the opposite adapter:

$_35.JPG

This one goes onto an F-plug cable that connects directly to your system. Either way works fine.

Nice! Thanks for the info! Mine looks like a right angle, is that okay?

Right angle is fine, that's just a cable management thing. As long as the ends match up, and you have the right cable for the female end of the adapter, you've got everything you need.

Hey my atar is a four switch woodgrain, I need to repace the cable to plug it into the TV. How do I do that?

Hey my atar is a four switch woodgrain, I need to repace the cable to plug it into the TV. How do I do that?

On the Sears Heavy Sixer I had, the cable just plugged into a jack on the inside. You might want to call Best Electronics to see if they sell replacements. I went to that mess of a web site that he has to see if they sell the part for it but after 10 seconds I couldn't take it anymore.

Other than that, you should be able to use a standard video cable which you could probably pick up from Best Buy if Radio Shack is no longer in your area.

On the Sears Heavy Sixer I had, the cable just plugged into a jack on the inside. You might want to call Best Electronics to see if they sell replacements. I went to that mess of a web site that he has to see if they sell the part for it but after 10 seconds I couldn't take it anymore.

Other than that, you should be able to use a standard video cable which you could probably pick up from Best Buy if Radio Shack is no longer in your area.

Is there a way to just take the top off of it?