Photo

New 32k XB Game:ZOMBi (work in progress)

Extended Basic Game Zombies zombie platformer

199 replies to this topic

#26 TheMole ONLINE  

TheMole

Dragonstomper

• 790 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:05 AM

Edit: I'm unable to find Size(), only SIZE which reports remaining ram? Still looking...

It's an optional part of the DISPLAY command (like AT). "DISPLAY AT(23,1) SIZE(4):Score" will blank 4 characters, and then display the variable Score in that area.

Edited by TheMole, Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 AM.

#27 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,728 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:31 AM

Edit: I'm unable to find Size(), only SIZE which reports remaining ram? Still looking...

Sorry.  I was far too cryptic.  I should have pointed out what TheMole said.

...lee

#28 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 AM

All good! Thanks again!

#29 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,797 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:01 AM

Use this

100 CALL CLEAR
120 CALL HCHAR(1,1,42,768)
150 DISPLAY AT(5,3):"ERASE LINE"
160 DISPLAY AT(7,3):"DON'T ERASE";
170 GOTO 170

This should help. ;)

The simple semicolon after your DISPLAY AT will fix your ills.

Edited by Opry99er, Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 AM.

#30 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:26 AM

Use this

100 CALL CLEAR
120 CALL HCHAR(1,1,42,768)
150 DISPLAY AT(5,3):"ERASE LINE"
160 DISPLAY AT(7,3):"DON'T ERASE";
170 GOTO 170

This should help. ;)

The simple semicolon after your DISPLAY AT will fix your ills.

Oh, the problem was resolved before making the post. I just put the display at before the calls. However; all of this new (to me) info is going to help a lot. Thanks for that tip also.  

#31 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 PM

OK, this is a minor update from the last - new death screen. When at this screen, press any key, move joystick or push joystick button to play again.
14046125_10206754129283818_5107071143118
Spoiler

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 AM.

#32 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,139 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 PM

130 CALL COLOR(10,15,1):: CALL COLOR(12,12,1):: CALL COLOR(3,12,1):: CALL COLOR(4,12,1)
140 CALL COLOR(8,7,1):: CALL COLOR(11,8,1)

can be rewritten as

130 CALL COLOR(3,12,1,4,12,1,8,7,1,10,15,1,11,8,1,12,12,1)

#33 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:54 AM

Yeah, I'm not optimising any code until I'm done with the core mechanics.  I like to keep as many lines as separated as much as I can until done. For me it makes it easier to trouble shoot. I'll end up shortening a lot and combining lines just before stripping out all the comments to reduce the size. 

Thank you though. 

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 AM.

#34 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:06 PM

Whether or not you've been following this thread :http://atariage.com/...you-interested/
I hope you'll enjoy this.

I started doing animation and graphics stuff on that other thread. Then I started using joystick controls etc.. I made a little pixel man that runs and jump.
Then I added a random hole he could fall in to or jump over.
Then I got an idea for a game so I'm going to make it. It's called ZOMBi. Something that says Zombie game for the ti? Maybe I'll change it, been on the fence with ZOMBi99er.
Anyway, I'll use this thread to share the code and progress.

I will update this code below to the latest version when ever announced in a new comment so you don't have to go searching.
Just copy/paste from below OR download the class99 save dsk1.ZOMBI027 file that is attached >>here<<.

Version 027 changes (*8/18/16) - X=Quit, R=Reset, J and Controller Button = Jump, Joystick Left/Right moves left/right,

Joystick up = melee attack temporarily using just a high pitched sound for place holder.
Joystick down = ranged attack temporarily using a noise for place holder.
Adjusted running animations slightly. Set up weapon inventory.
Entered new CHAR patterns and codes for ZEDS and combat.
Setup empty framework for zed coinc and combat.

To Do Next:

Create attacks for melee and ranged including inventory changes

Create basic zombie AI and animate.

KNOW ISSUES:
*FIXED - Q,R,J,q,r,j keys not working. Joy up not working. They were, and might in this version but I made a minor change that shouldn't have effected any of this, tested and discovered they are all broken. I think I lost the newest version someplace. Anyway, BUG FIXING!

To Do Long Term:

Title screen.

Sounds

Music maybe? - can I play music while player plays game efficiently?

Loot balancing with board progression.

zombie difficulty linked to board progression.

At least 2 more types of ever more difficult zombies.

Change Log:

version 0.26-081516

Level Progression Working with new GUI element. *Pushing Joystick up or down RESETS the game. Board progression works via the EXIT.

Zombies do -1 heart/health damage. 0 health = death. Hearts = +1 health, 10 max. 

FIXED*Sometimes holes don't spawn where holes are supposed to spawn causing a "no exit" situation. I dunno why yet.
FIXED*Sometimes loot doesn't spawn where it is supposed to. I dunno why yet.

FIXED*Sometimes the player falls through the girders near or very far from the hole. I dunno why yet.

New death screen. When at this screen, press any key, move joystick to push joystick button to play again.

Spoiler

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:51 PM.

#35 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:52 PM

Ever forget to type "run" one last time before you upload code?

Yeah.

OK, post above this with v027 is working. Nothing broken.

Also the original post updated to working.

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:52 PM.

#36 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,797 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 PM

Music is possible in the background, but I believe only one of the ways will work for your chosen medium.

XB256 can be used to put music in the background.

Matthew180's XB soundlist player can also be used.

XB256 would likely be your best bet here, as the soundlist player by Matthew180 requires assembly subroutines on disk. The compiler does not recognize the commands that are required to load and link the assembly.

XB256 on the other hand has it all built into one, along with many other excellent tools including scrolling text and screen swapping. It also compiles into EA5 format and would work with the FR99, unless I am gravely mistaken.

I used matthew's soundlist player in two of my games... 'Riding for the Brand' and 'Honeycomb Rapture'... Both of which can be found on the gameshelf. I love that soundlist player. :D

Edited by Opry99er, Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 PM.

#37 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:02 AM

I'm going to save music for near the end. Right now I'm attempting to setup event driven collision detection for the zombies against melee weapons and I'm finding it very difficult without having to cycle through sprite numbers in an array which is a very hard performance hit.
I WISH we could do call coinc(#sprite,ALL,tolerance,numeric).

#38 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:29 AM

Quick question:

how do I dynamically create variables? 

I want to track health individually for multiple enemies.

I'm thinking this, find the enemy in the array for example Sprite #1

create a variable called ehelth+sprite number

find enemey in array sprite#2

create variable ehelth+sprite#2

so I end up with 2 different variables

ehelth1 and ehelth2 with ehelth being assigned to sprite #1 and 2 respectively. (when ever sp1 is attacked I adjust ehelth1 value, etc..)

I'm asking so I don't get side tracked too much away from what I'm doing right now. I'll try and find the answer myself but my track record with TI basic functions isn't that great at all.

I suppose I could just expand my array to store each enemy health individually and run the checks from there...

Edited by Sinphaltimus, Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:47 AM.

#39 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,139 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:13 AM

All numeric variables are created before the program starts to run. In a so-called prescan.

I would make an array like this

100 DIM H(28)

Obviously the index is the sprite number. Sprite #1 is associated with H(1) etc.

All 28 variables are initialized with the value zero - like with any other numeric variable. Running over the DIM once more won't reinitialize them.

Edited by sometimes99er, Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 AM.

#40 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,352 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:31 AM

The best way to have dynamic re-sizing variables is to use strings to store values. A single string can store up to 255 characters, or 255 values from 0-255.

The limitations of this approach are as follows:

• You have to use ASC(SEG$()) to extract values back into numerics for calculations, which can be a slight drag on performance, especially for an action game
  • You can only store integer values (floating point is possible but I don't think it would be worth doing)
  • Those integer values are only 0-255, unless you store values in two or more bytes at a chunk, which makes for extra processing time.

In this case, I think the idea of using a fixed array is the better approach, because performance-wise it will be faster.

#41 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:11 PM

The best way to have dynamic re-sizing variables is to use strings to store values. A single string can store up to 255 characters, or 255 values from 0-255.

The limitations of this approach are as follows:

• You have to use ASC(SEG$()) to extract values back into numerics for calculations, which can be a slight drag on performance, especially for an action game
  • You can only store integer values (floating point is possible but I don't think it would be worth doing)
  • Those integer values are only 0-255, unless you store values in two or more bytes at a chunk, which makes for extra processing time.

In this case, I think the idea of using a fixed array is the better approach, because performance-wise it will be faster.

Makes sense to go with array. It's only 14 sprites at most to track on any given board and once I know the sprite number I'll know the hp value for it. I've made a lot of progress on a complicated issue while also improving over-all performance ever so slightly. New version coming up soon.

This version now has a game purpose. :)

#42 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 PM

GAME IS CURRENTLY EARLY ACCESS ALPHA version. No ETA on Beta.

I will update this code below to the latest version when ever announced in a new comment so you don't have to go searching.
Just copy/paste from below OR download the class99 save dsk1.ZOMBI029 file that is attached >>here<<:

How To Play:

About: This is meant to be a semi casual zombie survival game to escape a skyscraper. Play for score (session high score coming soon)

Combat:  A melee attack is a swing attack that covers the space directly in front and behind the player. You get one attack per inventory item.

ZEDS: Will grab you and attack you. Hold a direction to escape, try hitting with melee, break away as fast as you can. 

DODGE: You can attempt to dodge zeds by jumping past them (joystick button or J)

Controls:

X=Quit, R=Reset, J and Controller Button = Jump, Joystick Left/Right moves left/right,

Joystick up = melee attack - 

Notes: Melee attacks will destroy loot including hearts. Be careful not to use up all your melee weapons.

Version 029 changes (*8/19/16) :
Started high score frame work..
Zeds no longer die when in contact with player. Must be killed with Melee or Dodged for now.
Added some sounds.
ADJUSTED SCORING
Fixed issue running across bottom floor caused by unused hole spawning there.
Optimize COINC calls in regards to man vs loot and man vs wall.

UNRELEASED:
V028 changes:
Major inefficiencies in dealing with sprites and sprite generation resolved
Optimized coinc calls for better performance in regards to melee coinc detection
Melee weapon attack system completed.

To Do Next:

Create attacks for ranged including inventory changes

Replace temp zombi health with per sprite health. right now they share 2hps and it gets reset to 2 at each death.

session high score

KNOW ISSUES:
No known bugs at this time. 

Not all functionality or game mechanics have been developed as of this version.

To Do Long Term:

Title screen.

Sounds

Music.

Loot balancing with board progression. (game balancing)

Change Log:

Version 027 changes (*8/18/16) - X=Quit, R=Reset, J and Controller Button = Jump, Joystick Left/Right moves left/right,
Joystick up = melee attack temporarily using just a high pitched sound for place holder.

version 0.26-081516

Level Progression Working with new GUI element. *Pushing Joystick up or down RESETS the game. Board progression works via the EXIT.

Zombies do -1 heart/health damage. 0 health = death. Hearts = +1 health, 10 max. 

FIXED*Sometimes holes don't spawn where holes are supposed to spawn causing a "no exit" situation. I dunno why yet.

FIXED*Sometimes the player falls through the girders near or very far from the hole. I dunno why yet.

New death screen. When at this screen, press any key, move joystick to push joystick button to play again.

Spoiler

13882613_10206747180590105_7544198560067   

ZOMBi

Whether or not you've been following this thread :http://atariage.com/...you-interested/
I hope you'll enjoy this.

I started doing animation and graphics stuff on that other thread. Then I started using joystick controls etc.. I made a little pixel man that runs and jump.
Then I added a random hole he could fall in to or jump over.
Then I got an idea for a game so I'm going to make it. It's called ZOMBi. Something that says Zombie game for the ti? Maybe I'll change it, been on the fence with ZOMBi99er.
Anyway, I'll use this thread to share the code and progress.

GAME IS CURRENTLY EARLY ACCESS ALPHA version. No ETA on Beta.

Just copy/paste from below OR download the class99 save dsk1.ZOMBI029 file that is attached here:

How To Play:

About: This is meant to be a semi casual zombie survival game to escape a skyscraper. Play for score (session high score coming soon)

Combat:  A melee attack is a swing attack that covers the space directly in front and behind the player. You get one attack per inventory item.

ZEDS: Will grab you and attack you. Hold a direction to escape, try hitting with melee, break away as fast as you can. 

DODGE: You can attempt to dodge zeds by jumping past them (joystick button or J)

Controls:

X=Quit, R=Reset, J and Controller Button = Jump, Joystick Left/Right moves left/right,

Joystick up = melee attack - 

Notes: Melee attacks will destroy loot including hearts. Be careful not to use up all your melee weapons.

Version 029 changes (*8/19/16) :
Started high score frame work..
Zeds no longer die when in contact with player. Must be killed with Melee or Dodged for now.
Aded some sounds.
ADJUSTED SCORING
Fixed issue running across bottom floor caused by unused hole spawning there.
Optimize COINC calls in regards to man vs loot and man vs wall.

UNRELEASED:
V028 changes:
Major inefficiencies in dealing with sprites and sprite generation resolved
Optoimized coinc calls for better performance in regards to melee coinc detection
Melee weapon attack system completed.

To Do Next:

Create attacks for ranged including inventory changes

Replace temp zombihealth with per sprite health. right now they share 2hps and it gets reset to 2 at each death.

session high score

KNOW ISSUES:
No known bugs at this time. 

Not all functionality or game mechanics have been developed as of this version.

To Do Long Term:

Title screen.

Sounds

Music.

Loot balancing with board progression. (game balancing)

Change Log:

version 0.26-081516

Spoiler

#43 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,139 posts

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 PM

This is very nice. :thumbsup:

I will update this code below to the latest version when ever ...

I would like new posts with perhaps only the essentials, instead of one big post with an ever increasing log.

Yes, add TIFILES file, so I don't have to cut, paste and wait.

If I have no swords, theres no noise for ranged attack.

Sometimes I can run through objects, without it registering.

Sometimes I get a new game screen without any zombies.

I'm not sure how you do the collision detection, but here's what I'm thinking ...

Only the player moves, so he could be the only sprite on board. All the objects could be background graphics. The holes already are.
The player is of course always on one and only one floor at a time. So there is 3 objects (or less) to check for. Lets say you have a multidimensional array like
100 DIM LEVEL(8,3,2)

First parameter being the Floor no. (1-8 ).
Second being Object no. (1-3).
Third, 1 for object Type (-1=Object not in use, 0=Hole, 1=Zombie, 2=Door, 3=Heart etc.).
Third, 2 for object Position on that floor.

Examples:
LEVEL(1,1,1) sets/gets object type from first floor, first object.
LEVEL(5,2,2) sets/gets object position from fifth floor, second object.

Your collision detection would then, at all times be going through 3 objects. The Floor variable is only changed when you drop through a hole. Calculating the player sprite's character position (which you must already do) is only done once, before looping the objects on that floor, FOR O=1 TO 3. If object is not in use, you simply skip to NEXT O.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er, Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:53 AM.

#44 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:24 AM

;)

Thanks for all this. I think today i'm going to avoid putting it off and redo the collisions finally. You say you've had some missed collisions, I haven't had any, so if what I'm seeing isn't matching player experience, something needs to be done.

The tricky part for me has been randomly generated loot.

I am storing sprite # and CHAR code at time of creation then I was running coinc against all 14 possible sprite IDs on the level then checking the char code to identify the sprite type.

After some adjustments I mad over the past few versions, AND reading your post, A light went off.

Due to the method I am generating the levels and distributing the loot, I already have everything I need to run only ONE coinc for the collision detection.

Let me explain. And I was heading in this direction slowly, I'm just trying to cram all the core mechanics in before hand (alpha version). But after you posted this I decided to strike while the iron is hot.

Sprite#1 gets assigned to the player character.

Sprite number 2-8 get assigned on the fly to each hole SHL=2, shl=shl+1 for each level a hole gets created (7 total)

Exit = sprite #9
Loot = Sprite numbers 10-23 (14 loot items on every board) and the numbers get assigned at time of random selection and creation (chosen randomly 1 of 4).

Then, due to the nature of my level creation for next loops and loot creation for next loops, I first place a loot item to the left of hole on level 2 and then put a loot item on the right of hole on level 2, then drop a level and do the same.
So, because of all the maths.

I already know what sprite number gets put in what exact location. What kind of loot item it is (at time of creation, I just need to store a value for this in my existing array).

I don't want to run a collision check all the time. I only want to run it when needed (see my wall collision check section). Like what I do for wall collision checks.

4240 IF xp<=23 OR XP>=230 THEN 4250 ELSE 4260
4250 GOSUB 6160 !*************WALL COLLISION CHECK

6160 REM **********cOLLISION cHECK WALLs
6180 CALL COINC(#1,YP,4,8,C):: IF C<>0 THEN 6220 ELSE 6280
6220 CALL LOCATE(#1,YP,13):: CALL MOTION(#1,0,0)
6240 CALL JOYST(1,JX,JY):: IF JX=-4 THEN 6220 ELSE RETURN
6260 IF XP>=230 THEN 6280 ELSE 6340
6280 CALL COINC(#1,YP,247,8,C):: IF C<>0 THEN 6300 ELSE 6340
6300 CALL LOCATE(#1,YP,239):: CALL MOTION(#1,0,0)
6320 CALL JOYST(1,JX,JY):: IF JX=4 THEN 6300 ELSE RETURN
6340 RETURN

So I don't do wall collision checks at all unless the player is in proximity of a wall.

I'd like to do the same for all loot items. 

***The only time any of this would need a different method is with Zombies. Well, because I want them to move.
        So their exact location is not known but their vicinity is.
        For example Level 5 right side of hole dot column number there is a zombie so start coinc'ing for it.
As for moving/chasing/leaping zombies (coming in harder levels) I would use a distance call between player and all free roaming zeds. start doing coincs when distance is close enough.

That's my current thought process.

Due to your post I am now motivated to work on this NOW. You have given me the push I need and some great ideas for reducing the amount of COINC calls I make AND combined with what I'm doing, decrease it even further. (I don't have to do 3COINC checks *ALL* the time)

Side Note: One of the best communities right here. Thanks again sometimes99er.

#45 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 AM

Oh and BTW - 

"Sometimes I get a new game screen without any zombies."

Yes, this is deliberate. anyone of 4 loots can spawn with no guarantee anything in particular will spawn. I'm OK with this in the beginning levels at the alpha stage but the back end control will be rewritten so I can guarantee at least one of each loot items and adjust the chances of a spawn on each so I can control loot spawn difficulty with board progressions. (more zombies less heals/weapons in higher levels)

#46 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,139 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:46 AM

You say you've had some missed collisions, I haven't had any, so if what I'm seeing isn't matching player experience, something needs to be done.

Well, it did take long to get it to miss again. ;)

zombi029.gif

#47 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:58 AM

Well, it did take long to get it to miss again. ;)

zombi029.gif

I never doubted you. :) But it hurts to see it. :(

#48 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 4,139 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:01 AM

Due to your post I am now motivated to work on this NOW. You have given me the push I need and some great ideas for ...

Excellent.  :music: 

I never doubted you. :) But it hurts to see it. :(

Hope it doesn't discourage you. ;)

#49 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:32 AM

Hope it doesn't discourage you. ;)

Nope, just motivates me to fix it.

#50 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:36 AM

And of course I got a little side tracked - 

v030 spoiler alert!

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Extended Basic, Game, Zombies, zombie, platformer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users