IGNORED

An Honest Inquiry About BD

Eric7100

This is meant to be just an honest inquiry (no harm intended). Like many of you, I had followed the seemingly endless posts about the end of BD's licensing rights. To me, it got to be a little much... every time I signed in, there was another post about buying the game before midnight.

I had made an honest inquiry about why the licensing rights to the game HAD to end. I wanted to know why the contract couldn't be extended again. I received a lot of heat for even raising the question. But I still don't really know the answer. Is it solely because of the money?

I just feel that the scenario was presented as if the end of BD for the Intellivision HAD to be. It led me to believe that First Star Software was the culprit... that, for some reason, they were being difficult in their willingness to extend the license.

I was so curious about this situation, and very unclear as to why this was happening, that I decided to email First Star Software myself. Today, I received the following response from Dianne at First Star Software:

Hello Eric,
Thank you for your email.
There's usually not a problem extending the Term of a given agreement. In fact, we've already done that once with Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers for Boulder dash® Vol. 1 for Intellivision.
It's normal for publishers to decide that they're not going to produce more copies of a title and thus look to sell current inventory, which is what Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers elected to do in this case.
As an Intellivision enthusiast you probably know William Moeller and/or Tim Naber. If you do, please feel free to contact them. (If you need either of their emails, please just let me know.)
I hope you bought a copy and that you're enjoying it! : - )
Very best regards,
Dianne
So based on this email, it doesn't seem like the end of BD absolutely HAD to be, but that it was CHOSEN to be by the publishers. I'd be willing to bet that First Star Software would've easily extended the licensing rights if such a request were made (albeit for a few extra dollars).
My question still remains... was this decision made SOLELY because of the cost of extending the license, or were there other reasons?
I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way. I'm just really curious, because I don't think it was ever made clear. The publishers just presented the situation as "this is the way it HAS to be."
Thanks for your time, everyone! :)
  • Like 1

None of us are entitled to know the business details of the companies involved in publishing games. Much as we might be interested in knowing how and why certain things happen the way they do, it's really none of our business.

I'd guess that licensing doesn't come for free, and if the business model doesn't support investing money to extend it, then the agreement reaches its natural conclusion.

I hope Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers and First Star did well with Boulder Dash. It's good for everyone interested in classic gaming.

• Like 1

Like many of you, I had followed the seemingly endless posts about the end of .... To me, it got to be a little much... every time I signed in, there was another post about ...

Ummmm. You gotta know this part of your thread is going to open you up to a few comments right? :) lol!
  • Like 1

I am unsure where the root of your curiosity lies. Some people from Elektronite have permission to create and sell BD and this permission comes from First Star Software. This permission does not last forever. It is only valid for as long as the people involved want to continue making and selling the game within the parameters of the agreement that give the permission. The people at Elektronite have decided that they no longer need or want to continue making the game so they have ended the agreement. They made a very good effort to make sure that everybody in the Inty community was aware of the end of the agreement so we could all make sure we got a copy if we wanted one. That's it. no mystery, no conspiracy, no hidden secrets and no information withheld to which we need to be privy. Some people that were in "business" together (though lets face it, this is a hobby) made a decision to end the relationship.

• Like 3

As long as Elektronite/Classic Game Publisher keep producing high quality games as they have, be happy with any business decision they make that keeps them producing more games...as mthompson mentioned

"None of us are entitled to know the business details of the companies"

Thanks

• Like 2

Hey everyone, I have to collect and buy responsibly due to all the great stuff coming out.

So, no I could not afford another Boulderdash as much as I would have loved to have one.

With all that being said, I thank Elektronite games and whoever was involved in it, First Star Software Etc. for making it.

I hit the like button on the last seven replies to this thread.

Eric, we understand you needed to sell your Homebrew stuff for financial reasons.

So why would you be interested in when they stop selling this actually? If you were still buying I would understand. The sellers have all rights to there options. Best to you, Dale :) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

That was a nice response from Dianne. Tim gave plenty of advance warning that sales were going cease. It pushes the boundaries of good taste for anyone to contact First Star.

I would guess that their primary reason for not extending the agreement is because it makes more sense to go ahead and sell an addition 50 (or however many they sold here at the end) copies in a short period of time rather then extend the agreement for another year or two and sell about the same of product over that period of time. Ending now allows them to focus their resources on other things.

• Like 2

I'm curious what has spurred the speculation about a 'Volume 2'.

Granted, the name of this BD game does contain 'Volume 1' but the reason for that's already been explained. It's not as if people would hold out buying 'Volume 1' until 'Volume 2' came out. And at least in the Intellivision community, most who bought 'Volume 1' would go ahead and get 'Volume 2'. even without playing the first one, odd as that may sound. In fact, if a 'Volume 2' were imminent, you'd want to keep 'Volume 1' around assuming a new game would pull in some new sales of the previous one.

It seems that Elektronite, and now, First Star, have been quite transparent about the whole thing. What do you expect, pictures of the contracts that were signed and transcripts of all discussions regarding why certain decisions were made? What we know is that the agreement between Elektronite and FSS involved a time window during which sales of BD for Intellivision could proceed. At the end of that window, the parties can come to an agreement to extend the contract -- or not. We're not privy to the conditions involved in extending the agreement, nor should we expect to be. All we know is that the agreement was not extended. We were all informed of this with plenty of time to decide whether to buy the game (or, in certain cases, I'm sure, another copy of the game).

Continuing to dig for more and more info on this just seems odd. After all, did anyone send letters to Intellivision Productions and/or AtGames when Dollar General or TRU stopped stocking Intellivision Flashbacks in the stores? I *know* there are more out there, since other places have them for sale. I know the analogy's not perfect, but it's not too far-fetched.

• Like 3

The quick of it.

There is no Vol 2 for the Intellivision. This version was called Vol 1 as it is the first in a series that FSS has released on many platforms, which now includes the Intellivision.

It was a financial decision made by Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers to let the agreement expire rather than renew. It was based on timing and current market conditions. If William wants to expand on that he can.

As part of that, William and I with the help of Rev's newsletter announced to every email address we have on file about the end of the agreement. We wanted everyone to have the opportunity to acquire Boulder Dash at the original price before the secondary market causes a rise in price.

Now the number of Boulder Dash copies is finite. No more will be produced. Any that come up for sale now are from the secondary market.

• Like 1

The quick of it.

There is no Vol 2 for the Intellivision. This version was called Vol 1 as it is the first in a series that FSS has released on many platforms, which now includes the Intellivision.

It was a financial decision made by Elektronite/Classic Game Publishers to let the agreement expire rather than renew. It was based on timing and current market conditions. If William wants to expand on that he can.

As part of that, William and I with the help of Rev's newsletter announced to every email address we have on file about the end of the agreement. We wanted everyone to have the opportunity to acquire Boulder Dash at the original price before the secondary market causes a rise in price.

Now the number of Boulder Dash copies is finite. No more will be produced. Any that come up for sale now are from the secondary market.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you mean by "current market conditions." I bet you could've sold many, many more copies of BD with a contract extension. The demand had not yet dwindled.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what you mean by "current market conditions." I bet you could've sold many, many more copies of BD with a contract extension. The demand had not yet dwindled.

If you wasn't running an animal hospital you could of bought like 50 copies!

Too soon?

Too soon?

• Like 4

The quick of it.

You may want to give your computer a virus/trojan scan. Apparently Eric is privy to how many you have sold each month for the last while, since he is so positive that you have been negligent in fulfilling the as yet undwindled demand? Apparently he must be aware of an untapped source of customers that have somehow not found out where to order BD from?

I'd guess that "current market conditions" means: the rate at which the game has sold for the past 6-8 months".

Could you clarify the source of this knowledge about demand? Upon what do you base your assertions? It would seem that Soulbuster / Elektronite / Classic Game Publishers, Inc. would have the best understanding of demand and pace of sales, since they manufacture and ship the game. First Star Software owns the intellectual property, but as far as we know, wasn't involved directly in the sales channel, marketing, or manufacturing process.

Eric, the people with the most information made a decision. Second guessing the decision will not make it change. Asking for more disclosure is not going to get more answers.

Edited by SoulBuster