IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

The original set of 4 had all the games on there locked down with bridge between 2 points on the board. Someone with a steady hand and a tiny tipped soldering iron with little bits of wire and a switch could mod one to play all four. The later units the games got larger, so even if the board was about the same, the storage space was used up by the entire game, or it would have like 2 titles on it due to larger file sizes. The only real multi-board one in the new run is the 2in1 which is 3in1 with Dig Dug hiding and they allowed it to be open if you know that code on the last page here.

The original set of 4 had all the games on there locked down with bridge between 2 points on the board. Someone with a steady hand and a tiny tipped soldering iron with little bits of wire and a switch could mod one to play all four. The later units the games got larger, so even if the board was about the same, the storage space was used up by the entire game, or it would have like 2 titles on it due to larger file sizes. The only real multi-board one in the new run is the 2in1 which is 3in1 with Dig Dug hiding and they allowed it to be open if you know that code on the last page here.

Yes, this. Oddly you will corrupt the maze graphics in Ms Pacman if you switch from Dig Dug back to Ms Pacman without allowing the unit to sleep or power down. It is still fully playable however as the pellets are unaffected.

The game will return to the menu if you let attract mode in Dig Dug run it's course. Galaga from this selection screen plays normal afaik, but Ms Pacman is fubar and remains so until you power off the unit. I recon they added in Dig Dug as an Easter Egg during the 11th hour and did not perform adequate bug testing before sending it to production.

I also had my high scores reset after playing the glitched Ms Pacman, so use caution. Video review is coming this weekend when I get to making one.

Saw a pic of the Bridge Direct Tetris in a toy catalog and figured I'd snap a quick pic. Not that I'm interested in it or anything. :lol:

cRMjXab.jpg

I am... Very... Interested... :lust:

I was never much of a Tetris player but I picked this up and really like it.

Monochrome segmented lcd (with or without color overlays and backlighting) or full on color lcd display?

Ms. Pac-Man non-Walmart and Tetris are both segmented LCD. Not sure if it was mentioned before, but that version of Frogger on the Walmart joystick was in a Majesco plug and play and on the VG Pocket Tablet. It's a port based on NOAC hardware. The older version has music closer to the original, but the music was changed in the later versions due to using music from various anime like rascal the racoon. It's also why most newer ports have different music, though I prefer the music in the GBA Arcade Advance Frogger and the Basic Fun Frogger to the music in the Super Impulse Tiny Arcade Frogger.

Edited by BrianC

Sorry to retread this, but I've heard about the Frogger music rights several times. What was the issue with the original arcade music? Was that an improper use of some annoying door chime tune used in the original? Why hasn't anyone sued the makers of Space Invaders and Asteroids for ripping off Jaws? :P

Edited by JBerel

There were at least a few Fix it Felix Jr. arcade machines made. They were, and to my knowledge, still are installed at Disney parks. There's supposed to be a few in the Disney Quest arcade in downtown Disney in Florida.

I think Disney had been removing their classic games here and there for the past few years, but DisneyQuest was shut down and demolished last year. It's being replaced by The NBA Experience. :thumbsdown: One of the many stupid things Disney has done in recent years.

Pity they never released the actual Fix-It-Felix arcades to the general public. It would have been cool to walk into an arcade somewhere (not a Disney park that I'll never be able to afford) and drop a few quarters / tokens in.

In other news, I got a Tetris minicade and a Donkey Kong Halmark ornament on it's way. I know the Donkey Kong cab isn't playable but it looks nice. Hell will freeze over before Nintendo licenses Donkey Kong to third parties. I would totally buy a licensed DK/DK Jr cab though if they ever release one.

Nintendo needs to get onto the retro trend and re-release at least some of its Game and Watch series of games. With the high prices of originals, I am sure there are people (including myself) who would gladly buy and play good reproduction examples of the games. Heck, even the reproductions of the Mattel sports games are still being made and sold right now.

• Like 2

Nintendo needs to get onto the retro trend and re-release at least some of its Game and Watch series of games. With the high prices of originals, I am sure there are people (including myself) who would gladly buy and play good reproduction examples of the games. Heck, even the reproductions of the Mattel sports games are still being made and sold right now.

the gameboy versions were good enough, for me.

later

The switch controller is perfect for game and watch style games. I liked the 3DS games and the GB, GBC, GBA, and DS collections. There were some licensed keychain handhelds of a few of the games for awhile. I also have a few of the actual handhelds and table tops. DK handheld is good stuff and a prefer it over Coleco's VFD version.

Nintendo did re-release "Ball" of course for Club Nintendo users only a few years ago and it was awesome.. Thankfully they are Easily found on ebay for people who want them today. And as mentioned above, a company did release keychain versions of several games as well.. but man those simply aren't that good. The buttons are often not really responsive, and the gameplay is different as well.

the gameboy versions were good enough, for me.

As simple as the games are it's worth knowing the the GB/GBA/DS versions are obviously rewritten simulations, so like the keychains, the gameplay on them is often only superficially the same. For example I can easily roll over 999 on Donkey Kong Jr., but if I play the version on the DS Eshop, it's a lot different timing and difficulty. Maybe no one cares, but I just want it out there as a known fact. Because trust me, I know. :P

That said, I'd LOVE an official G&W Gallery 5 that took advantage of the DS/3DS Dual screens. It's really a shame that the last "good" G&W Gallery was for the GBA and thus squished a lot of the dual-screen games to a single screen. Yes, I know and have the Club Nintendo releases with Oil Panic, DK, etc.. but that's not really the same thing as the full G&W Gallery games is it.

And on that note.. some of the G&W's were things of beauty hardware wise. I mean how the heck can you touch this??

post-31-0-05582900-1541709633_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-16173600-1541709728_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-36167400-1541709597_thumb.jpg

No way this type of design could be re-released today.. some kid would break the mirror and cut themselves and that'd be the end of that. :lol:

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

MGA and Excalibur did use Nintendo's technology under license for those color Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Frogger handhelds and tabletops, but they aren't as well made. There's also that space invaders head to head "color" LCD game that was licensed to Radio Shack and Excalibur. The packaging had small text that said the technology was licensed by Nintendo. I actually have that Snoopy game, but in the Tabletop version, which is the same game. I prefer the tabletops since the batteries last longer, but the DK Jr. panoramic handheld I have is neat.

Edited by BrianC

I actually have the re-release of the Ball Game and Watch. Feels just as solid as an original and the only difference is they went to the 2035 (or whatever it is) 3 volt battery instead of the two LR44's. Graphics are sharp and the game play is just as sharp. The form factor is what really makes the Game and Watch series for me. Look at the two screen games where you half to almost split your brain in half to play them! :)

I've had Ball too since they shipped me it, rarely put batteries in ti as it's pretty hollow so it's basically in nearly new shape I guess in the little box it came in. Currently have SMB on my desk with 2 batteries in it for fun under my lamp. I do see PINBALL G&W up there, wish I still had that one as it's fairly decent for LCD pinball. I kind of miss my G&W collection but the prices just got incredibly stupid on the things so I too hope they do a G&W Gallery 5 or whatever again some day as I'd be up for that.

The panorama systems were fold up of the tabletop arcade style devices and done very nicely, but not I think in as large of number as those or the standard flat and fold up style so they get really expensive at times to get a decent to great one still. Also worth pointing out are the old Nelsonic watches too, Nintendo got in on those for years even on the back end having its own music processor and headphones on some models, even those had dual releases with and without that such as Starfox. I have the old black wrist band Zelda which is far superior to the G&W mess as it emulates the Zelda 1 dungeon designs pretty nicely.

Ok, just in case people are interested, I posted in the

small arcade 1up cabinet area, because i feel these ARE NOT Micro arcade units.

they are 4/10 scale, and use real arcade PCBs, and CRT monitors.

ALSO THEY ARE FOR SALE.

(see : https://www.smallchangearcade.com/services/ )

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275757-budget-atari-and-capcom-arcade-cabinets-to-see-release-this-fall/?do=findComment&comment=4154541

Please comment over there.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-1.58.01-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-1.55.37-PM.png

NBA-Jam-back-PCB.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-2.04.40-PM.png

they look awesome.

later

Edited by negative1

Saw a slew of the "NES games - repackaged" at BJs today. Guess they're making a big push for the holiday crowd.

attachicon.gif2018-11-10 18.54.39.jpg

The Pacman and Galaga My Arcade cabs (really any of their Namco games) are worth getting over the Super Impulse Tiny Arcade junk. Slightly more comfortable, and the NES ports are arguably better programmed than the new ARM ports. Even if it's not arcade accurate samples, the gameplay is better. The Dpad joysticks are a bit twitchy and hit diagonals very easily though.