Famicom Joust prototype discovered

9 replies to this topic

#1 empsolo OFFLINE  

empsolo

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:11 AM

http://www.polygon.c...te-for-nintendo

According to the article an early prototype of the Famicom version of Joust was just recently purchased. According to the article, the prototype was done by HAL Laboratory as part of the planned Atari-Nintendo deal to distribute the Famicom in the Americas.

What's interesting is that, as the article points out, a young Satoru Iwata who had recently left Commodore Japan for HAL had been the one commissioned to do the Famicom port of Joust. This might be Iwata's first line of code on a Nintendo project.

#2 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,426 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:48 AM

I heard about this! And yeah, Satoru went on to write code for the very similar Balloon Fight.

#3 TheRedEye OFFLINE  

TheRedEye

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:15 PM

That's my proto, btw.

#4 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Moonsweeper

• 442 posts
  • Still Atarian

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:45 PM

That was my reaction when I came across the prototype ROM file of Joust that was included with the HAL version.  After seeing "Atari Inc. 1983" on the screen I was wow, something from the Atari Famicom deal that could have been...

Glad to see a physical copy that exists.

#5 TheRedEye OFFLINE  

TheRedEye

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:22 PM

That was my reaction when I came across the prototype ROM file of Joust that was included with the HAL version.  After seeing "Atari Inc. 1983" on the screen I was wow, something from the Atari Famicom deal that could have been...

Glad to see a physical copy that exists.

That's not a prototype ROM, that is the actual Famicom version that HAL published in 1987!

#6 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,057 posts

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 PM

That's my proto, btw.

Was there any other games to be had from this source Frank? Or are these 4 all they had?

#7 TheRedEye OFFLINE  

TheRedEye

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:33 PM

There were others before we found the seller, but they're all gone now. As soon as we were able to verify that one of them seemed legit, we bought everything that was left except a copy of Mario Bros., because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs were after the game was already in stores. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I was already spending a lot on a gamble...someone else has it now.

#8 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,057 posts

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:46 PM

There were others before we found the seller, but they're all gone now. As soon as we were able to verify that one of them seemed legit, we bought everything that was left except a copy of Mario Bros., because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs were after the game was already in stores. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I was already spending a lot on a gamble...someone else has it now.

Well lets just hope they are as sharing as you are.

#9 PhilipTheWhovian OFFLINE  

PhilipTheWhovian

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:57 AM

Wasn't Joust published in NA anyway? Is there any differences between the NA version and the Famicom version in the code?

#10 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,614 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 PM

Wasn't Joust published in NA anyway? Is there any differences between the NA version and the Famicom version in the code?

The graphics were spruced up for the NES release while the Famicom version is more faithful to the original arcade game in that respect.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users