IGNORED

Adventures of Jungle Jack

LX.NET

First of all: A big Thanks to GadgetUK for encouraging me to finish this tribute game. Thanks Gadget!

Announcing the public beta 1 for 'Adventures of Jungle Jack'!

Instructions:

• Download
    junglejackbeta1.lnx.txt
    and rename to jungle.lnx
  • Open with Handy/Mednafen/Libretro to play in an emulator or upload to Lynxman's Flashcart or SainT's LynxSD cartridge.
  • Play, enjoy.

Gameplay:

Jack is trying to find 32 treasures in the dangerous jungle within 20 minutes. Pick up treasures by walking over them. Don't walk into fire, snakes, scorpions, pits or open crocodile mouths. Jump with A over dangers or to catch a liana. Release the liana by pressing down. Press up or down to go on ladder. Get off ladder by pressing left or right at the top or bottom of ladder. Don't loose your third life nor run out of time or it's game over. Can you survive the perils of the jungle and make Jack a rich man?

This is a beta release. Free to play, not for sale. No-one should make money from this game.

Bug reports are appreciated, so I can get them out and make this to a final release.

Once finished I will probably release the source code for educational purposes. I learned a great deal programming this game.

Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Like 10

Thanks LX, will give this a go tomorrow hopefully. Do you know if it will work with Mateos 16 in 1 flash cart?

Should work as any other ROM file. Not tested, but let me know if it does not work for you. And interested to hear your feedback obviously. ;)

Edited by LX.NET

Plays pretty smooth on my SD card and felt very much like the 2600 version. Just a couple minor issues:

Timer shouldn't begin until I move or jump.

Death seems a little short. On 2600 version it seemed to take a second from when Harry dies until a new one drops.

And a suggestion: trainer mode: no timer and unlimited lives.

• Like 1

Awesome job!!! Thanks ever so much for releasing this - a lot of effort went it to it and it's remarkably close if not identical in the way it handles on the original. Nice touch on the "Betaversion" logo at the bottom lol! Also nice to see you added in the flip and reset buttons - perfect!

• Like 1

Very very very cool ! Will,download and try in a bit.....

Now.......any chance on Pitfall II ? sorry I mean Jungle Jack II ? :D

Moving onto other projects now. Hack Slash Loot is a good candidate to continue work on. Or maybe something quick in between...

• Like 1

My thoughts so far. Brilliant little game, nice controls, simple to pick up and play, just what a Lynx title should be.

Possible improvements/fixes.Music only plays once, perhaps could loop? A jumping sound would be nice. In error I jumped back on the rope and went left but the character still faced right perhaps could change direction? A title screen is a must, I love title screens and this game needs one it's so cool! The lives symbol could be Jack instead of a line. Finally an instruction screen referencing controls, what to avoid and what to collect.

Otherwise this really is great work on your part LX. Thanks to Gadget for pestering you to work on it and release it ?

Edited by BadPricey

funny. the lnx header says that a second bank is used in this ROM.

Some emulators dont like that -> crash.

Translated in Google Translate from 'God Speak' to 'English', roughly translates to:-

"Great job, what a fine example of homebrew! But there's one minor issue I spotted that you might want to look at." =D

LX - I am curious to know how that 2nd bank got there - was it intentional or something left over from another project, or from earlier testing?

I wonder about it too, Gadget. I used the normal tooling and didn't alter any of the usual default memory and cart layout. So, the bit for the second bank is probably in the default fragment of the CC65 toolchain. Perhaps sage can have a look before i get back from the beach and do check myself.

• Like 1

If you're renaming in Windows, by default Windows hide file extension so you wouldn't be able to see .txt to change it correctly. It is hiding in Folder Option (File Explorer Option under W10), under "hide extensions for known file types" and clear the X so it'd show all now.

Are the treasures at the exact same places? Still exploring....

Treasures are in the same place every game. The scenes are also the same every time, but each of the 255 scenes is unique. Going above ground goes left or right 1 scene. Going underground will skip 3 screens left or right.

NERD-TALK:

The scenes are generated with a pseudo-random algorithm that creates 255 unique random values in a sequence (that is always the same). Put another way: pick a number from 0 to 255 and apply the algorithm to get a new value between 0 and 255. Repeat this for the new value and get yet another new value. Repeating this 255 times will give only unique values in an seemingly arbitrary order, but completely reproducible and looping around to the start number after exactly 255 times. You can also reverse the algorithm to go back in the sequence. The bits in the byte indicate what is present in a scene.

• Like 1

As already found, the header data is not correct. If my FlashCard is used with the latest Firmware (x.40) and the function "auto size" is used the game will not start. :(

If you want to use "junglejackbeta1" with my FlashCard please switch off "auto size" and use the following setting: "256K/BLL" and "LNX" ;-)

Or use a hex editor and change address $0007 from $04 to $00 :cool:

Background: my FlashCard support 2nd bank and if the information for 2nd bank is found the setting of the memory interface may cause problems if 2nd bank is not used. :!:

@LX.NET: please set byte $07 of the header to $00 for the next beta to avoid trouble with my FlashCard. ;)

• Like 1

Dear LX.NET

I just put the file on my SD cartridge. I even renamed it to a certain name by which I find this game easier to remember by....something with a Pit and a Fall....

And it works.

However.....I cannot play this game. Seriously......WHY that music ?!!?!? Where does it come from....sorry but......it sounds horrible....

The original 2600 game has no music, which is FINE.....just game sounds..and of course that awesome Tarzan sound when riding the vines......

So please, please please can you (at least) make it possible to turn off the music (Option 2 is usually used for that) and insert some game sounds that actually help with the gameplay (timing) ?

Please ? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

• Like 1