IGNORED

Atari ST, Supra HD, UltraSatan

Hi, everyone!

Since I'm VERY new to the Atari ST series (lifetime 8-bitter, though), I'm hoping someone can help me with the situation described below.

I recently purchased an Atari ST lot that included a 52mb Supra drive. Unfortunately, due to VERY poor packing by the seller, the accompanying ST computers are busted up and non-working at the present time, and thus out of the equation here.

I went ahead and used a 520STe that is also in my collection, and initially, I went ahead and hooked up the Supra drive and connected my new UltraSatan to the port on the Supra. Boot-up resulted in the UltraSatan showing up on the desktop-- but no Supra.

On intuition more than anything, I disconnected the U/S, leaving the Supra connected. And it booted up to the desktop as if it had always been there. And there appears to be a LOT of goodies on there that I still need to go through.

But I'd like to be able to backup the Supra to the U/S for a just-in-case, because hard drives can fail. If I understand the problem, it's because both the U/S and the Supra are vying for the same ID or whatever it's called.

I'm not sure what else I need to provide by way of info, so feel free to ask for anything else you need to know. As I said, I really just want to back up the Supra before I start actually doing anything with it-- especially since I'm completely noobish where the ST series is concerned.

Thanks, in advance!

--Tim

Hi,

If you get to the desktop with both devices connected and only the ultrasatan present, it might be a driver configuration issue. The idea is to enter the configuration of the ultrastan's hard disk driver and tell it to rescan the drive chain in order to detect and enable all devices found. If it can't find the supra it might be a drive ID clash (not too likely but not impossible either).

If all this seem baffling, then just reply here with what you see when your ste boots up - it should print out a text of the hard disk driver brand, version and what devices it detected. Take a pic if you can't read everything :). (or press alt-help which freezes the output since it's used to print the contents of the screen - there's 30-40 second timeout before it realises there's no printer!). Then take a look in your ultrasatan partitions and see if there's a copy of the driver's configuration tools.

Good luck, and let us know if you're stuck!

I am pretty sure it's the SCSI ID on the Supra if it's working fine hooked up directly to the STe. I don't know how to change it on a Supra drive. It is usually on the back of the hard drive case. If not, you may have to open up the Supra to change it.

It may be easier to change the ID on the UltraSatan instead since I believe you can do that in software. Not sure.

By default, the UltraSatan is SCSI ID 0 and 1. The Supra drive is probably set to SCSI ID 0 too. (check the boot up screen display. it should show what the SCSI ID is set to) With this setting, you can't have two drives using the same SCSI ID. Therefore, you need to change the ID of one of the hard drives.

I ran into a similar problem and I believe I had to change the Ultrasatan to another device ID - My Supra drive didnt like anything before it no matter what # I changed it to.

After transferring everything off the SUpra drive I changed the Ultrasatan back to device 0 and all is good.

I ran into a similar problem and I believe I had to change the Ultrasatan to another device ID - My Supra drive didnt like anything before it no matter what # I changed it to.

After transferring everything off the SUpra drive I changed the Ultrasatan back to device 0 and all is good.

I suspected as much. And atarian1 thought this might be something I could do via software. Where should I look to change the setting for the U/S?

(Personally, I rather like that familiar sound of a hard drive Rrring to life and hearing the heads move when seeking data, so I'll probably stick with the Supra until it gives out-- although the U/S is definitely the better route for the longterm AND provides me with a way to get the ST files from my PC over to the ST.)

--Tim