IGNORED

Tron 3 not totally dead?

Rev

Another thread about "TRON 3" can be found here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255745-tron-3-disney-producer-still-hopeful-for-sequel/

As I said there, I liked what they did with "TRON: Legacy" and am still hopeful that they can find a way to make "TRON 3" happen. There's still a lot that can be done within the TRON universe, but I think "TRON 3" was derailed by the acquisition of Lucasfilm combined with a run of bad luck with other Disney properties (such as "Tomorrowland").

• Like 1

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255745-tron-3-disney-producer-still-hopeful-for-sequel/

As I said there, I liked what they did with "TRON: Legacy" and am still hopeful that they can find a way to make "TRON 3" happen. There's still a lot that can be done within the TRON universe, but I think "TRON 3" was derailed by the acquisition of Lucasfilm combined with a run of bad luck with other Disney properties (such as "Tomorrowland").

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256184-tron-3-not-totally-dead/?do=findComment&comment=3576644

;-)

Lol. I actually really enjoyed the sequel. :) Like many here I was a huge Tron fan when it first came out so I suppose some of that nostalgia may have helped me overlook some of the film's flaws. That said, I'd absolutely love for them to make the 3rd movie. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

I'm sure most of you are aware but for those of you that cannot get enough of Tron and may not know (I'm a serious fan myself), Disney also made an awesome cartoon series called "Tron: Uprising" in 2012 that is well worth watching every episode. Unfortunately the series was cancelled after 19 episodes if I remember correctly due to low ratings but was amazing and is truly a shame they discontinued it. Write your congressman (or woman, or whatever)!

• Like 2

I'm sure most of you are aware but for those of you that cannot get enough of Tron and may not know (I'm a serious fan myself), Disney also made an awesome cartoon series called "Tron: Uprising" in 2012 that is well worth watching every episode. Unfortunately the series was cancelled after 19 episodes if I remember correctly due to low ratings but was amazing and is truly a shame they discontinued it. Write your congressman (or woman, or whatever)!

I don't have cable, so I didn't know about this series until I found it on Netflix a while back. I watched a few episodes, but I wasn't overly impressed.

I think Netflix removed it.

TRON: Uprising was amazing. Should be watched. Actually had more material to enjoy than the first and second movie combined.

Lol. I actually really enjoyed the sequel. :) Like many here I was a huge Tron fan when it first came out so I suppose some of that nostalgia may have helped me overlook some of the film's flaws. That said, I'd absolutely love for them to make the 3rd movie. Fingers crossed

To me the only flaws were things that would not be explained until the game TRON: Evolution and the Uprising series. But the music, the atmosphere, how they were cutting edge with de-aging Jeff Bridges, a lot of good there. And I liked the action figure line and toys. A lot better this time.

Well, considering that they made three Intv games for the original Tron (or 4 games if you include Adventures of Tron) and they made zero Intv games for the sequel movie, that just proves that the second movie sucked rocks!!!

LOL! Ok, I know you are joking here, but seriously TRON:Legacy was on cutting edge systems (like it was on the Intellivision 30 years ago) by have TRON Evolution on the X-Box 360, Wii, and other systems. And TRON: Killer App on the Gameboy.

TRON 3 suffered the same fate as John Carter, Black Hole, etc etc.

They were all created to compete with Star Wars. Well, now they have Star Wars.

I honestly, truly, think that if Disney revisits the TRON world (or John Carter or others) it will be after they have milked Star Wars thoroughly and are giving that a break to rebuild interest. With Disney releasing movies every year to rabid Star Wars fans I'd give that about seven to eight years before this all looses steam.

Edited by doctorclu

I just looked for that on DVD or Blu Ray......of course they havent released it.....will they ever?

TRON: Uprising was amazing. Should be watched. Actually had more material to enjoy than the first and second movie combined.

I'm not a Hulu subscriber, so i'll wait for it to return to Netflix, or if it gets to Amazon Prime, but I watched a few episodes while on Netflix and couldn't get into it.

I think the big part of the trouble I had with Legacy and Uprising was that they became less like programs and more like people. So why bother with all this?

Even in the deleted scenes of the original Tron, there was a deleted scene where Tron and Yori are living/shagging together and I didn't like it way back when, and I was surprised that this sentiment has carried forward all these years when I saw the sequel and series.

To me the only flaws were things that would not be explained until the game TRON: Evolution and the Uprising series.

I think this was by design. Disney wanted people to play the game, watch the series, and watch the movie, to get a more immersive experience into the Tron world, but I don't think that they did it right.

But the music, the atmosphere, ..... And I liked the action figure line and toys. A lot better this time.

Yes, I did like the music, and of course the action figures and toys would be better than way back then, but that goes without saying.

LOL! Ok, I know you are joking here, but seriously TRON:Legacy was on cutting edge systems (like it was on the Intellivision 30 years ago) by have TRON Evolution on the X-Box 360, Wii, and other systems. And TRON: Killer App on the Gameboy.

Yes, I was joking around. I am aware of all those games.

TRON 3 suffered the same fate as John Carter, Black Hole, etc etc.

They were all created to compete with Star Wars. Well, now they have Star Wars.

I honestly, truly, think that if Disney revisits the TRON world (or John Carter or others) it will be after they have milked Star Wars thoroughly and are giving that a break to rebuild interest. With Disney releasing movies every year to rabid Star Wars fans I'd give that about seven to eight years before this all looses steam.

What fate? The fate of a bad movie makes the sequels look less appealing?

The fate of Black Hole? Do you mean the 1979 release? It was too cartoony to compete with Star Wars at that time. Or do you mean a rumored 2009 remake? I think since the first film wasn't well received, then a remake doesn't make sense. Maybe a darker film would be OK. Your comments about why bother since they already have Star Wars is an interesting take. Why bother with making more/different SciFi movies when they have the ultimate SciFi franchise? Sounds reasonable.

John Carter? Really? I didn't read the books, but the movie wasn't good enough to warrant the sequels to be made. Just like the Eragon books were really popular, and I did read those, but a bad movie usually kills the sequels.

In addition to Disney beginning to push out Star Wars movies just about every year, but they are also pushing out Marvel movies just about every year, too.

And a new Indiana Jones film getting made, too.

So it sounds like Disney could make as many movies as they wanted. Not all make it, like Tron: Legacy

For Disney, I really think it will boil down to the licenses to be paid for toys and games. Who would want to buy a Black Hole toy, or a John Carter toy? But a Star Wars, Marvel, or Indie toy or game? That's where the money is.

The kids and I all really enjoyed Tron: Legacy - and they hadn't even seen the original Tron maybe once! I think for them a huge part of it was the Daft Punk soundtrack.

That said, we all really enjoyed the Tron: Uprising series as well. The frustrating thing with the Tron franchise is that it seems the sequel story work has all been pretty sound, and actual *sequel* and not reboot, but the world they've created just hasn't quite gotten the traction the studio wants.

As to John Carter... I was a huge fan of the original Burroughs books as a callow yoot, so I'm an apologist for the movie.

At one point as a kid, I think I had wallpaper in my bedroom that was from The Black Hole! In fact, I think if a certain house were to be torn down or remodeled, portions of that wallpaper would still be visible. Ironically, I don' think I ever saw the movie. I just remember that my mom chose that wallpaper for me when we were remodeling once because I was such a Star Wars freak, and that wallpaper was cheap and had space stuff on it. :P

• Like 1

The kids and I all really enjoyed Tron: Legacy - and they hadn't even seen the original Tron maybe once! I think for them a huge part of it was the Daft Punk soundtrack.

That said, we all really enjoyed the Tron: Uprising series as well. The frustrating thing with the Tron franchise is that it seems the sequel story work has all been pretty sound, and actual *sequel* and not reboot, but the world they've created just hasn't quite gotten the traction the studio wants.

As to John Carter... I was a huge fan of the original Burroughs books as a callow yoot, so I'm an apologist for the movie.

At one point as a kid, I think I had wallpaper in my bedroom that was from The Black Hole! In fact, I think if a certain house were to be torn down or remodeled, portions of that wallpaper would still be visible. Ironically, I don' think I ever saw the movie. I just remember that my mom chose that wallpaper for me when we were remodeling once because I was such a Star Wars freak, and that wallpaper was cheap and had space stuff on it. :P

Yah "derezzed" is one of my son's favourite songs. :) He really enjoyed the movie as well, and I can't remember if we watched the original first or not.

As for John Carter, I know most disliked it but I've probably watched it a dozen times. Lol.

• Like 1

As for John Carter, I know most disliked it but I've probably watched it a dozen times. Lol.

Ah good, another that liked the movie. :D My wife and I loved Woola. The rest of the movie was enjoyable too.

For those of us hoping one day for another John Carter movie (and there are some) :P I just tell them "Well, ten years did pass between the first and second books".