IGNORED

A poll of HDX Usersl

Omega-TI

HDX User Poll  

6 members have voted

1. 1. I keep HDX my contents: (Multiple choice okay)

• In a partition on my C: or main drive.
    • On a dedicated SD card.
    • On it's own Hard Drive
    • Do you keep a CURRENT backup of your HDX directory?
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use your HDX's PRINTING capabilities?

• YES
    • NO
  3. 3. Do you use the HDX to make .DSK images or backup your diskettes?

• YES
    • NO
  4. 4. Do you use your HDX to share data with Classic 99

• YES
    • NO
  5. 5. Is using the HDX your preferred method for getting new downloaded software to the TI?

• YES
    • NO (If no please explain)
  6. 6. Is the fact that it's 2X faster loading than a diskette one factor in your use?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER
  7. 7. I rate my overall satisfaction with the HDX as:

• Fantastic
    • Above Average
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor
    • Other
  8. 8. Can you think of anything missing in the way of software support or utility that is missing?

• YES (if so please elaborate in a message below)
    • NO
  9. 9. Overall do you think it's gives a lot of bang for the buck?

• YES
    • NO

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I hardly ever actually use HDX to transfer to the TI in file copy sort of way. It is instead my primary storage. I tend to hex-edit and change the path in things so that 'DSK.BROWSER.FAVS' becomes 'HDX1.BRWSER.FAVS', or 'DSK1.FBLOCKS' is 'HDX1.FBLOCKS', and then I don't have to deal with which .hfe or floppy is in the machine. In fact, for transfer, I tend to still just use the .hfe creation tools from hcx2001.com. Usually if I'm transferring, it needs an entire disk image anyway...

-M@

The one thing I would like to see improvement on for the HDX is a server for Mac or Linux. However, in the mean time using Wine works just fine for running the server app (just the file navigation is a bit rough on the Mac platform).

Surely, you could make a soft-link on your Mac to make the base of the file path more convenient.

-M@

• 1 month later...

HDX is a requirement - it's almost as good as having a network stack. Wish it was easier to come by though - I have one in my system at home, but have been waiting a long time to get one for my system here in the US. Unfortunately, dsk2pc looks for the HDX device - so I have been unable to upload a disk image to my PC without having the modified RS-232 card.

For disk images, if you have a Lotharek - it's invaluable. The ability to just pull down a disk image onto a mounted .hfe is significantly easier than copying around and converting disk images.

HDX however isn't without it's problems. I have had issues with programs that r/w from floppies not being able to use the HDX device properly. TI-Base dies when manipulating databases on hard disks and HDX, but works great with floppy disk images of any size (on a Myarc controller) - go figure...

:)

HDX however isn't without it's problems. I have had issues with programs that r/w from floppies not being able to use the HDX device properly. TI-Base dies when manipulating databases on hard disks and HDX, but works great with floppy disk images of any size (on a Myarc controller) - go figure...

Just out of curiosity, have you checked out the format of those files using Ti99Dir? At the present time the HDX only recognizes V9T9 format. If the file is in TIFILES format it currently will not work, this may change in the future, but at the present time you need to highlight the file using Ti99Dir, go to the "Tools" selection and then select "Convert TIFILES file to V9T9 file".

• Like 1

The problem is that the database application sees HDX1.AFTBASE/D as different than DSK1.AFTBASE/D, it'll work with the diskette based file but NOT with the HDX based file even though both are identical. I think it's a DSR problem.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked out the format of those files using Ti99Dir? At the present time the HDX only recognizes V9T9 format. If the file is in TIFILES format it currently will not work, this may change in the future, but at the present time you need to highlight the file using Ti99Dir, go to the "Tools" selection and then select "Convert TIFILES file to V9T9 file".

This makes me wonder if HDX works with sector I/O?

The are also some issues with certain characters that the PC does not like and differ with the TI. Remind-Me! and Telco are also a couple of programs that differ from disk and PC use. Sometimes using a sector editor to adjust to a character that both platforms can agree with can rectify incompatibilities. The major problem is FINDING that character in the code to modify.

The problem is that the database application sees HDX1.AFTBASE/D as different than DSK1.AFTBASE/D, it'll work with the diskette based file but NOT with the HDX based file even though both are identical. I think it's a DSR problem.

If the DSR isn´t coming with the app, but calling it,

isn´t it possible just to hexedit it and to change from "DSK1" to "HDX1" ?

• Like 1

Ah, sorry - it takes the HDX1 fine... in TI-Base to set the program and data drives you normally might set (at the TI-Base command line or in a script)

SET PRGDISK=DSK1.

SET DATDISK=DSK2.

It will however be happy with anything...

SET PRGDISK=DSK1.

SET DATDISK=HDX1.

works - but it won't access the file properly. I see the same behavior in Classic99 when using any disk for data. It might be the '/' - hard to say...

If the DSR isn´t coming with the app, but calling it,

isn´t it possible just to hexedit it and to change from "DSK1" to "HDX1" ?

• Like 1