IGNORED

my JUNO FIRST review !

Funkyspectrum

Juno First for the 2600 is superior to Beamrider for the 2600, in my opinion. You have free movement and the mechanics are outstanding, and perfectly implemented. Beamrider has more restricted movement and restricted shooting and it is less interesting visually.

I discovered the arcade game on a multicab a few years ago and I was really impressed by it. The ability to move backwards was interesting and unique, the vector-like graphics of the playfield appealed to my tastes and the way that the whole field shifted in perspective to the left and right as you move your ship - all created a lasting impression on me. The peculiar name and the relative obscurity of the game solidified this as one of my new favorites.

This 2600 version is much different visually. Initially this diappointed me, but then I played the game. It is an amazing, inspired, original and essential reworking of a game that really would have been impossible to translate to this platform otherwise. The 3D effect is stylish and compelling. The altered scale and perspective of the 2600 version, (the arcade is a vertically oriented screen and more of an overhead view), really creates a whole new idea, in my opinion. It helps to reinforce the idea that this wrap-around playfield represents the surface of a geometric shape, a planet, (or maybe a giant cylindar?). The enemies you see off in the distance above the horizon are not blips on your scanner, like those of Defender. They are the actual enemies that are actually in front of you... and actually behind you too! It is an impossible scenario that makes perfect sense!

Neither version is a substitute for the other. This is to me one of the most justified efforts in homebrew game publishing. A great obscure game from the past has been reintroduced and a new game has been devised in the process.

Juno First for the 2600 is superior to Beamrider for the 2600, in my opinion. You have free movement and the mechanics are outstanding, and perfectly implemented. Beamrider has more restricted movement and restricted shooting and it is less interesting visually.

I discovered the arcade game on a multicab a few years ago and I was really impressed by it. The ability to move backwards was interesting and unique, the vector-like graphics of the playfield appealed to my tastes and the way that the whole field shifted in perspective to the left and right as you move your ship - all created a lasting impression on me. The peculiar name and the relative obscurity of the game solidified this as one of my new favorites.

This 2600 version is much different visually. Initially this diappointed me, but then I played the game. It is an amazing, inspired, original and essential reworking of a game that really would have been impossible to translate to this platform otherwise. The 3D effect is stylish and compelling. The altered scale and perspective of the 2600 version, (the arcade is a vertically oriented screen and more of an overhead view), really creates a whole new idea, in my opinion. It helps to reinforce the idea that this wrap-around playfield represents the surface of a geometric shape, a planet, (or maybe a giant cylindar?). The enemies you see off in the distance above the horizon are not blips on your scanner, like those of Defender. They are the actual enemies that are actually in front of you... and actually behind you too! It is an impossible scenario that makes perfect sense!

Neither version is a substitute for the other. This is to me one of the most justified efforts in homebrew game publishing. A great obscure game from the past has been reintroduced and a new game has been devised in the process.

oh yes sorry i thought the question was which arcade is better. on the 2600 juno first is definitely better than beamrider, no doubt about it !

you seem to be right mate i don't really know why i remember it being in that arcade there must be something very like it :-o i definitely had it on the ZX Spectrum and always thought it was a port of the game i'd seen at the travelling arcade, i wish i could remember what that game actually was now ! it was very like beamrider !

you seem to be right mate i don't really know why i remember it being in that arcade there must be something very like it icon_surprised.gif i definitely had it on the ZX Spectrum and always thought it was a port of the game i'd seen at the travelling arcade, i wish i could remember what that game actually was now ! it was very like beamrider !

Tempest?

you seem to be right mate i don't really know why i remember it being in that arcade there must be something very like it :-o i definitely had it on the ZX Spectrum and always thought it was a port of the game i'd seen at the travelling arcade, i wish i could remember what that game actually was now ! it was very like beamrider !

Radar Scope.