IGNORED

INTEREST CHECK: New Reproduction Overlays...

pboland

i got questions like what is the material used how will they be punched out

i tried my hand at making some but i was just using mspaint

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166587-game-overlays/

i would prefer if the third party games overlays looked third party

I've been making reproduction overlays for the Atari Age community since 2012. Mainly Colecovision [see: ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)] and Intellivision (see: Sears TELE-GAMES INTV (new) Overlay set and Interest Check: IMAGIC Foil backed overlays).

The overlays are reverse color laser printed on to high quality transparency film. Then a thin layer of white laminate is applied to the back side of the transparency. This laminate does two things. First, it's used as the "white" coloring for the overlays and Two, the laminate adds protection to the image of the overlay. These overlays are 100% plastic, no paper or paint is used to manufacture them.

The overlays are then cut out via a computer controlled cutting plotter. So each overlays is cut to the correct size and shape. My overlays will feel a little different than the original Atari 5200 overlays because I'm unable to make them textured like Atari did. Mine will have a smooth feel to them.

I already planned on making third party game overlays look like the company from which they came. I'm just working on the Atari branded one right now because I have my template made up that makes them a little easier to put together right now. Here's line-up as it stands right today (I still have more to do):

post-9874-0-45504400-1472929753_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've been making reproduction overlays for the Atari Age community since 2012. Mainly Colecovision [see: ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)] and Intellivision (see: Sears TELE-GAMES INTV (new) Overlay set and Interest Check: IMAGIC Foil backed overlays).

The overlays are reverse color laser printed on to high quality transparency film. Then a thin layer of white laminate is applied to the back side of the transparency. This laminate does two things. First, it's used as the "white" coloring for the overlays and Two, the laminate adds protection to the image of the overlay. These overlays are 100% plastic, no paper or paint is used to manufacture them.

The overlays are then cut out via a computer controlled cutting plotter. So each overlays is cut to the correct size and shape. My overlays will feel a little different than the original Atari 5200 overlays because I'm unable to make them textured like Atari did. Mine will have a smooth feel to them.

I already planned on making third party game overlays look like the company from which they came. I'm just working on the Atari branded one right now because I have my template made up that makes them a little easier to put together right now. Here's line-up as it stands right today (I still have more to do):

attachicon.gif5200line-up.jpg

I'm sold. :thumbsup: I'll take a set when they become available. Can't wait to see the 3rd party offerings.

• Like 2

That would be awesome! Thanks! BTW, I like your XEGS podcast I've listened to a couple of them.

Thanks I am glad that you like the XEGS Podcast.

I will take actually two sets and I will talk about the overlays on the 5200 podcast episodes to get the word out.

This is an excellent idea and I am happy that the 5200 is getting a little custom overlay love that the Coleco & Intellivision have already enjoyed.

• Like 1

I didn't even think about homebrew game overlays. I'll have to give some serious thought about this. I'm thinking of splitting up the collections or maybe just selling the overlays individually. That way people can buy the ones they want. I'm just not sure yet.

More to come...

I think in my own humble opinion you make a great complete boxed set and sell it that way.

It would be bigger, better and more finished from the start. And, have some extras on the side for those that only want individual sets. Either way, this is your project and your choice!

• Like 1

I was thinking about offering reproduction overlays for the 5200. I'm wanting to see if this is something that interests the community. These would be made like my ColecoVision reproduction (ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)) overlays. Let me know what you guys think.

These are the overlays I have done so far:

attachicon.gif5200overlays.jpg

I would love a set of these as well as an Imagic overlay set for the the Intellivision! Actually, 2 of each......thanks for the great work, Wolfy62 :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i got questions like what is the material used how will they be punched out

i tried my hand at making some but i was just using mspaint

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166587-game-overlays/

i would prefer if the third party games overlays looked third party

Bohoki, we talked about your PC Controller to 5200 adapter on our first episode of the 5200 podcast.

I was thinking about offering reproduction overlays for the 5200. I'm wanting to see if this is something that interests the community. These would be made like my ColecoVision reproduction (ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)) overlays. Let me know what you guys think.

These are the overlays I have done so far:

attachicon.gif5200overlays.jpg

The Atari 5200 Podcast will keep spreading the word on future podcast episodes as we want the project to succeed. :)

Edited by Protestari