IGNORED

Altirra 2.80 released

phaeron

In Altirra, with artifacting set to high and the Authentic NTSC color selected I get these, depending on the position of the Artifacting Phase slider. I'm not able to achieve the look I get on Applewin where the landscape is green and the water is blue. Should I be able to do that? Or does Altirra need some more internal work on the artifacting routines? Does real hardware get the colors correct like the Apple does?

No, you can't achieve that with the artifacting phase controls. Altirra's artifacting engine imitates the XL/XE series, which only produces opposite colors. The Apple II can produce a 90 degree color shift through a half-pixel delay, which the Atari can't do.

Now, if you have a plain 800, then yes, you can get blue/green artifacting. Altirra doesn't emulate this yet, because I don't know enough details of how this effect occurs to be able to emulate it and it has to involve some currently unknown nonlinear cause. There was a post a few years ago with artifacting screenshots from every Atari model, and it seems that the 800 is the only one that does this -- not even the 400 has this effect.

• Like 3

Correct. Applewin Apple II emulator tried this option. People complained. They eventually put in another option to enable/disable the confirmation.

I prefer to not confirm resetting. And I speak with 20 years of emulator testing. A programmer or serious gamer should be saving their work periodically anyways.

You can blame me in particular for complaining. :P

Hi Avery,

Just been playing about with

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252283-straight-cracks-from-farbs-atx-torrent/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3725857

And its a really odd one, any fully emulated drives fail to pass the protection no matter if all the suspects like Fast boot are turned off, if I set it to or not to accurate it dies but if I remove the drives and just use the old non fully emulated ones it will work if accurate is turned off. Found it weird that it wants a non standard timing to work but fubars on a Happy etc or even a fully emulated 810 or 1050..

I set the startup memory pattern to pretty much all of them and that cured noting with read drive emulation.

Is this down to the way this disk may have been backed up?

I *think* I tried every other OS rom (all selected by Altirra in the scan), It also needed NTSC to boot, seems its really odd about the timing??

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252283-straight-cracks-from-farbs-atx-torrent/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3725857

And its a really odd one, any fully emulated drives fail to pass the protection no matter if all the suspects like Fast boot are turned off, if I set it to or not to accurate it dies but if I remove the drives and just use the old non fully emulated ones it will work if accurate is turned off.

It's a bad image. The skew align (the alignment of sectors across tracks) is not correct. If you run the disk image with fast disk mode, then this will result in recreating virtually the correct skew align.

• Like 2

Probably me but when booting up the Howfen Dual Density compilation disks using full emulation hardware drives it boots the first sectors or so and then anything off the menu just sounds like its reading bad sectors, other HD disks seem fine.

Emulated standard emulated drives boot the atr's but an XF551 just crashes when it tries to load the games..

Sample disk attached to save time..

Me?

EDIT: Played more and it seems only the Howfens are affected, some sort of weird call within the drive?

Games 444.atr

Edited by Mclaneinc

Unsupported disk geometry. The boot menu says dual (medium) density, but the disk image has 1120 sectors instead of 1040. This isn't a standard size and the emulator maps it to a virtual hard disk format for SDX with 1 track and 1120 sectors, which then causes the XF551 to fail to read anything beyond track 0. AFAIK the XF551 doesn't support any FM disk formats with more than 1040 sectors.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer Avery, it begs the question, what drive would have read these images?

As said the Non firmware emulated drives do but in the real world?

I believe this particular image is just the result of an imaging accident rather than a real geometry. The menu says dual density, after all.

As for physical disk image formats that could accommodate it, it looks like the ATR8000 could do large-capacity single density. Double-sided or 80 tracks on an 8" disk would do it, for instance, since its 8" single density format is natively 26 sectors/track. This would also have the benefit of the hilariously large 8" form factor, which for someone like me who grew up in the 5.25" era, always looked like a demonstration prop you'd bring to Career Day at your kid's school.

• Like 1

I had disks that acted like that till I realized they were cp/a disks, I have since learned to keep an entire stack of drives standard thru each and every mod and type 810 thru xf then load everydos known one at a time and then try in each drive... I found a number of 'blank' or non bootable disks only booted in a certain drive that way.... and no it isn't alignment that does it... it's the dos itself... weather it was syncromesh, ultraskew, one of the XF speed modes... or even the drives controller/track buffer etc. ... please don't pick on 8 inch disks.... I have a number of them I need data off of.... and yes I still used them up until a couple of years ago... 1.2 megabyte storage for the Atari at high speed through and s-100 was and is nothing to sneeze at!.... and they worked on the atr-8000 to a degree as well.... They are indeed good storage and not hilarious props!

Well,

this is an old SIO2PC bug, the software SIO2PC.EXE version 2.x or 3.x (a DOS program) by N. Kennedy created Dual/Medium/Enhanced/DOS 2.5 disk-images with 140k in length instead of 130k. Do not know of a PC program to correct this ATR atm (most fixer programs only test for shortened images that have less than 90kbytes), but one can use several old A8 sectorcopy programs and SIO2PC to copy these images back onto standard 130k disks or images, e.g. Sectorcopy 2, Mycopier! 1.2c, Syncopy, etc. You will need a sectorcopy program where you can set the density/format manually, since most sectorcopy programs that detect the density/format automatically will see this 140k image as a single density/90k diskette...

At one time, I also downloaded shortened 130k disk images, e.g. an ATR image with a length of 112kbytes (posted by Heaven some years ago). The PC fixer programs also did not work here (since the image was bigger than 90k), but again some of the old A8 sectorcopy programs with manual format/density setting worked fine there.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hi!

Is it possible to configure PADDLE B as the vertical axis of the mouse in order that the range goes from 0 at the top and 228 at the bottom? Currently 228 is at the top and I thought that "Inverted" option in the input mappings should do the trick, but it didn't.

I'm using version 2.81.

Thanks...

Is it possible to configure PADDLE B as the vertical axis of the mouse in order that the range goes from 0 at the top and 228 at the bottom? Currently 228 is at the top and I thought that "Inverted" option in the input mappings should do the trick, but it didn't.

If you are using Mouse Vert Move as the source, then yeah, there's a bug preventing that from working -- Inverted isn't hooked up for impulse events. Fortunately, there is an equivalent: bind to Left on the paddle controller instead.

If you are using Mouse Vert Move as the source, then yeah, there's a bug preventing that from working -- Inverted isn't hooked up for impulse events. Fortunately, there is an equivalent: bind to Left on the paddle controller instead.

I don't understand why, but it worked. Thanks!

Was that workaround another bug? Should all that be solved? As there is no predefined Paddle B controller in Altirra, I should have to incluse instructions to set up that in the emulator, and this trick does not seems natural.

There is a bug in Altirra with ANTIC palette emulation. Real hardware is ignoring the least significant bit when interpreting color indices in color map (leads to 128 palette entries being used effectively), whereas the emulation software takes it into account (complete set of 256 entries is used). Notice the top panel colors.

Altirra:

2udxn9c.jpg

Real HW:

m8cidt.jpg

Edited by Marek Konopka
  • Like 1

There is a bug in Altirra with ANTIC palette emulation. Real hardware is ignoring the least significant bit when interpreting color indices in color map (leads to 128 palette entries being used effectively), whereas the emulation software takes it into account (complete set of 256 entries is used). Notice the top panel colors.

Altirra:

2udxn9c.jpg

Real HW:

m8cidt.jpg

Care to post the ATR for verification?

• Like 1