IGNORED

Sega Genesis controller

nd2003grad

I know this has been covered before, but it was years ago and I'm wondering if there has been any change of opinion regarding using this controller with a C64. I heard some info that this is only on C64C? I don't want to cook another unit...which just happened to my current one for different (and unknown) reasons...

The Genesis is wired differently. If you just use one of the buttons, it supposedly will not do any harm, but the other buttons would lead to feeding 5V into the CIA inputs IIRC, which will cause damage on the C64 and similar systems. You could castrate the controller by snipping tracks inside, but it would also not make it usable on a Genesis any longer.

• Like 1

I've yet to try one on a C64. However, on the Amiga I just opened the controller and popped out the metal discs under the buttons (for any of the buttons that could cause issues). On an Amiga that would mean taking out the metal 'pucks' for the start button and the 'C' button. The Amiga only seems to use the 'B' button so that 'A' contact could be removed too.

If the C64 only uses the 'A' button, then pull the other contacts and leave 'A' as-is.

The great thing about this is that, aside from being easy to do, you can always put the controller back to the way it was before.

What the consensus on this be that this would effectively solve the problem?

I've yet to try one on a C64. However, on the Amiga I just opened the controller and popped out the metal discs under the buttons (for any of the buttons that could cause issues). On an Amiga that would mean taking out the metal 'pucks' for the start button and the 'C' button. The Amiga only seems to use the 'B' button so that 'A' contact could be removed too.

If the C64 only uses the 'A' button, then pull the other contacts and leave 'A' as-is.

The great thing about this is that, aside from being easy to do, you can always put the controller back to the way it was before.

Both the C64 and the Amiga are based on the Atari 2600 standard, so the same buttons should be in use.

Unfortunately Genesis isn't quite on the same standard. Genesis uses power on pin 5 while Atari standard used paddle 1 or POT X and can cause odd effect on Commodore that expects analog signal. Pin 7 on Genesis controller is mode pin used to toggle XYZ, A, and Start button or direction, B, and C. With +5V on pin 7, it's 2600 compatible. Pin 9 is either Start or button C while Atari 2600 expects paddle 2 or POT Y.

Another issue is Atari controller uses floating signal when none of the button is pushed. C64 shares the controller port with keyboard in scanning matrix and Genesis controller does not use floating signal, it is either held high when not pushed or low when pushed. Forced high can mess with keyboard and fry CIA chip.

I have a pile of 3-buttons. Do you folks feel that if I were to disable all buttons except for the single, active fire button and the directional pad that the crisis is averted? I have no intention of ever using them on a Genesis.

If you are going to pull it apart anyway, just wire it to be a passive switching controller. Unhook anything that powers it (on one I did, I just took a dremel to the chip on the pcb!) and while you're at it, rewire a second button as 'up' to use as a 'jump' button. And cut the track to the third unused button just to be sure...

I've never done anything like that...wow. That sounds amazing, but I'd have no idea where to start! Sounds like a project to try.

If hacking makes you nervous, then stick with Nebulons idea. It will have the same effect after all. Pull out the rubber tactile switches of everything but the D pad and the fire button. Make sure you remove start/pause as well.

Unfortunately Genesis isn't quite on the same standard. Genesis uses power on pin 5 while Atari standard used paddle 1 or POT X and can cause odd effect on Commodore that expects analog signal. Pin 7 on Genesis controller is mode pin used to toggle XYZ, A, and Start button or direction, B, and C. With +5V on pin 7, it's 2600 compatible. Pin 9 is either Start or button C while Atari 2600 expects paddle 2 or POT Y.

Another issue is Atari controller uses floating signal when none of the button is pushed. C64 shares the controller port with keyboard in scanning matrix and Genesis controller does not use floating signal, it is either held high when not pushed or low when pushed. Forced high can mess with keyboard and fry CIA chip.

Does this mean that I really shouldn't use a Genesis pad with my Atari?

Either way, the best two controllers I've ever used are:

Sega 6-button/3-button pads (floaty thumbpad versions *NOT flat, stiff versions)

Arcade switch driven joysticks

It's very easy to make an arcade joystick for an Atari. I just wire to the PCB and add an extra few buttons like an additional 'Up' for games that might use up for accelerate and I don't want to hold up while steering, or have down as an additional button for games that have you pulling down to brake, or whatever.

I just made a wooden box, drilled holes in the top and put the joystick and buttons in.*

The precision in games is unparalleled.

*slightly more complicated than that, but not by much.

You can use Genesis controller if you don't use the keyboard at all. Which makes it hard to type LOAD"*",8,1 :/ If you really liked Genesis compatible controllers and have plenty of extra or just don't play Genesis at all, you could open the controller, remove the chip, rewire it to act like standard 2600 controller.

• 3 weeks later...