IGNORED

How do you play Atari VCS 2600 games?

atariactionman

How do you play?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play Atari VCS 2600 games?

• An Original console
    • A Flashback console
    • Emulation

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So after my daily read of this forum, I notice that quite a few people play 2600 games with an emulator rather than an original console, and lots of people also like the flashbacks.

I personally love the original consoles and have seven of them although I do also have a joystick with the 10 games built in and an emulator on my pc. But whe all is said and done I love the feel of original cartridges plugging into the main unit makes me feel all retro.

So what do you play your vcs 2600 games on?

I'm currently using a 7800 console though I do tend to switch consoles from time to time. I've been playing a lot of 7800 Centipede lately.

Me too. Currently have the 7800 set up. The entire family is hooked on a 7800 Centipede TB.

Only play on actual hardware. :)

• Like 1

Emulation all the way. Though I have no problem or dislike of real hardware --- I do have a problem with the mess and clutter and tediousness it can potentially create.

I also like the repeatability and consistency of a modern display and what comes of operating entirely in the digital domain. Gosh, it's had to have been 2 years now and I've not tweaked any settings on my LCD's. Once set they stay for a long long time. But as a kid in grade school back in the 70's and 80's, I recall almost always having to adjust those pots. Something always need a tweak here and there.

That, plus the setup and teardown of systems when wanting to play Atari 400 or Intellivision or Colecovision. Always had to mess with wires and adaptors, and then even re-adjust the picture sometimes. Keeping track of it all. Keeping it in working order. I couldn't handle that today.

• Like 4

Hate to say it bud, but I don't see any company producing a full-size "same quality" classic console with low-density ICs like we had back in the day. Not at a reasonable cost. I'd even guesstimate a new identical replica VCS, with the TIA-RIOT-6507 trio, would cost at least 600 to 700 to build. Too much for the market.

It's all gonna be these 50-in-1 mini-consoles running emulation on whatever processor is in vogue.

Real hardware when I'm at home with my folks, but now that I'm entering graduate school and I won't be with a CRT for quite some time... I may have to go the emulation route.

Be careful, you might become addicted to the reliability and convenience and number of systems you can pack in your laptop.

I can understand how emulation cuts down on the clutter, but I wouldnt be without the 2600 under my telly. Its a great conversation piece and so many people want to have a go. Its great witn a harmony cartridge watching people wow at the sheer game choice.

I have my 4 switch all black modded and connected to a 42" plasma. Plays brilliantly but burns my screen. I would not buy another flashback console unless they were seriously improved.

Be careful, you might become addicted to the reliability and convenience and number of systems you can pack in your laptop.

I'm afraid of that happening haha. I was going to go with OpenEmu on my Macbook Pro and run NES, SNES, and see if I can find a way to play Neo-Geo games (MAME seems to have some issues with OpenEmu).

I'm in the process of getting rid of (most) of my systems anyway in favor of focusing on my 3DS, since I hardly have time for games anymore anyway.

The VCS makes an interesting conversation piece, there's little doubt there. And Flashcarts + a couple of your very best favorites is another viable way to cut down the mess and clutter.

The thing I found most impressive about emulation is that one system, the PC, can replicate many systems. It's something I always wanted when I was a kid - a small suitcase or box that could play **ALL** my games in one. And I feel privileged having had both experiences in their native timespan.

1st back in the 70's, with the original hardware, the experience of discovering a new game through:

1- WaReZ conferences

2- EGM

3- Schoolyard gossip

4- Advertisements during cartoons

5- Seeing it in the store for the first time

6- Playing it at a buddies house for the first time

And now through Emulation on a modern PC:

1- 1 box to play everything

2- Updateable through modern means like a cable modem

3- A highly repeatable gaming experience

4- New homebrews generously made available for free

5- The warmth and solace that all my games live together on the same storage medium

Edited by Keatah

I'm afraid of that happening haha. I was going to go with OpenEmu on my Macbook Pro and run NES, SNES, and see if I can find a way to play Neo-Geo games (MAME seems to have some issues with OpenEmu).

I'm in the process of getting rid of (most) of my systems anyway in favor of focusing on my 3DS, since I hardly have time for games anymore anyway.

I'd be careful and think for a while on this. "No time now" isn't strong enough reason. IMHO. You will likely have time in the future to enjoy these games again, even though it looks impossible right now.

My best personal advice to you is to still switch to emulation but get the real hardware out of sight, out of mind, but still available - then dispose of it later on if you still feel that way.

Because reacquiring it later is gonna be a pain in the ass, they won't be your own, they'll likely need work, and it'll make you all depressed. So perhaps a long-term storage option is best? Pack them as small and densely as you can and forget about them, in some future time you could be happy you did.

I did this with my Apple II material and am forever happy having kept it in long-term storage for a number of years before getting all settled down. Now it’s here for me to enjoy and use. Many years later. Perhaps a relative can help you out here?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

That's some really helpful advice, thank you. My consoles that I want to hold onto (PS2, original Xbox, CMVS) will remain with my folks until they move out of their current house in a few years. I'm studying abroad for a year before (hopefully) pursuing a PhD, and once I've settled down for a number of years in a program I'll slowly ship my consoles to my residence, and also hopefully find a cheap CRT to hook them up to.

The only console I'm sure I'll get rid of is the Dreamcast, since my girlfriend found her old one recently. :D I'll see if I can get any MVS or Xbox games for it, most likely...

Edited by Bixler

Mind posting some pics of your setup while running a game? Curious to see what this looks like.

You bet and I can even do you one better! I filmed the whole modding of the system for a new video series I'll be starting later this year. I'll post in the forums when it's all ready to go.

I can tell you that the clarity, sound and colours are GORGEOUS. In the mean time here are some pics of the system hooked up to an inexpensive HDMI upscaler. I'll be getting a Framemeister later for when I'm doing the actual video series.

post-37205-0-73261700-1473116777_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-41597400-1473116794_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-32833100-1473116808_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-12677600-1473116819_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-72516600-1473116842_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-97175700-1473116863_thumb.jpg

post-37205-0-17333300-1473116880_thumb.jpg

• Like 2