IGNORED

1010 frustration

Mister-VCS

I would love to get my hands on an old 1010 or like to to have for my collection but my memories were never very fond. Tape loads took what seemed like forever and sometimes they would fail and I would have to start over. So many programs I typed in just seemed to get lost on the tape and would just never load. When I got my floppy I never looked back.

• Like 1

I wanted to relive some cassette day goodness but gave up when like you none of them would work :(

I wanted to forget my cassette day badness as soon as I could (didn't want to go prematurely bald from pulling out my hair each time I got a load error). Back in those earlier times, it was like finding gold when I finally could afford to buy my first disk drive. :) However I do recognize that the OP really would like to get this to work. Just like the audio cassette era, things like using Q-tips and alcohol to clean the playback head and pinch roller, and adjustment of head height might offer a solution (I see that was already suggested). Not sure what the drive mechanism looks like, but if it uses belts those might be in need of replacement. If there is a speed control adjustment (I don't know if there is) that could also be a possibility, but you would likely need a calibration tape to do this.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

I would love to get my hands on an old 1010 or like to to have for my collection but my memories were never very fond. Tape loads took what seemed like forever and sometimes they would fail and I would have to start over. So many programs I typed in just seemed to get lost on the tape and would just never load. When I got my floppy I never looked back.

Tape is what you use when the only alternative left is to enter a program into memory by hand!

I have tons of tapes from "back in the day". I use them occasionally. But, I am getting more and more errors as well. I think the tapes are past their prime, expected life expectancy. If I get one to load, it's like finding gold. The worst offenders are ones I bought through Page 6 publishing, European titles, Mastertronics. Great games, but now most will not load. My really old, old Atari labeled cassettes still load. Mystery why that is. But, I still love tapes.

I have tons of tapes from "back in the day". I use them occasionally. But, I am getting more and more errors as well. I think the tapes are past their prime, expected life expectancy. If I get one to load, it's like finding gold. The worst offenders are ones I bought through Page 6 publishing, European titles, Mastertronics. Great games, but now most will not load. My really old, old Atari labeled cassettes still load. Mystery why that is. But, I still love tapes.

My Ghostbusters-tape is from Mastertronic...

I think I have that Ghostbusters tape (Mastertronic). I need to give it a try (load), and see if it too is jacked up. Most of my problematic tapes are the ones I bought from Europe. Of those, the Mastertronics are the most error-prone. I wish I could copy the tapes onto a new fresh tape, but I am very limited, technically-wise.

Ghostbusters (Activision) Mastertronic Tape did not load on side. one. After the G.B.s Title screen after a few minutes, I got an error. I tried side 2 (after advancing the tape leader), it loaded and worked just fine. Took a LOOOONG time to load. Seems like a great game, I cannot figure it out. Very complex for an 8-bit game. Seems well done.

Ghostbusters (Activision) Mastertronic Tape did not load on side. one. After the G.B.s Title screen after a few minutes, I got an error. I tried side 2 (after advancing the tape leader), it loaded and worked just fine. Took a LOOOONG time to load. Seems like a great game, I cannot figure it out. Very complex for an 8-bit game. Seems well done.

Sorry,but my English is not so good- advancing the tape leader`? What did you do? On the tape or on the 1010?

Just ordered a Atari 1010 to go with my Atari 800XL.. ;)

You have to adjust the little screw on the reading head,it the left screw,turn it right to make the sound louder or turn it left to make the sound lower.

You can...

A) Take the Atari 10 10 apart.

B) Make a hole in the door so you can fit the screwdriver.

Turn it right abit at a time but be careful not to turn it to far cos it can damage the tape.Keep adjusting it until the game loads ok.

Edited by Spanner

Sorry,but my English is not so good- advancing the tape leader`? What did you do? On the tape or on the 1010?

Every cassette tape has a length of tape at the start that is non-recordable called "the leader". It is usually colored pink, yellow, white, or clear. Put your finger in the cassette sprocket and turn the tape (advance the tape) to the point where you no longer see that leader (you see the brown magnetic, recordable tape).

You don't often here people recommend adjusting the speed. I've got several pretty nice decks and Walkmans. ALL of them have needed speed adjustment. And these are pretty well made with nice flywheels. I wonder if half the loading problems would go away if people just adjusted the speed.

You can get a cheap speed test tape off ebay. There is a guy with a top of the line serviced quartz locked deck that makes tapes for $5.00.

Look at the topic,this might help... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/195138-head-alignment-adjustment-in-atari-1010/

Here is a picture of the screw you need to adjust and the hole i made in the door.

Pictures of Atari 1010 and CX12.

I have adjusted my CX12 and it loads every game I put into it.and its never had a belt change,it been like it since 1998,when I got it.

post-40380-0-36774100-1473766391_thumb.jpg

post-40380-0-34711500-1473766448_thumb.jpg

post-40380-0-24864300-1473766457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanner

Pretty sure there is hole already in the the case, under the metal 1010 label, to access the azimuth adjustment screw.

There is but you can't adjust it,the hole is to low and you will damage the label,if you open the door you can see a notch where you put the screwdriver,I have done this with loads of tape decks and my Datassette on my C64,and Atari.

You can remove the door as well but be careful not to damage it.

post-40380-0-58803000-1473789722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanner