IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

That's one thing I do offer, the ability to produce carts in large numbers (upto about 250 Lynx carts sold now in the last 4 months or so) and no limit to the number coming.

The situation will be the same with any hardware I make. If there's demand, I will produce them. I know the issue with many homebrew hardware mods like this is supply.

And due to the fact I can produce carts in good numbers, I can keep the price reasonable (I hope people agree...!).

Anyway, as I say, not trying to step on toes or piss anyone off, just trying to provide people what they want and amuse myself in the process. ;)

You are not stepping on my toes, or pissing me off, I just offered my opinion. I put a LOT of money into making things for the 7800, without much return and I got tired of it. I can only imagine how much Fred has put into his cart. Would be a shame to see him walk away from developing as well.

• Like 2

I plan on buying Freds cart. I promised I would.

This reminds me of AA user Uberarcades 7800 controller he made and not long after edladdin showed up to sell supreme 78 seagulls etc. I bought Ubers 250usd controller to show support as he was first.

Not as many people would be like me and buy Freds and also this sd cart as well if it came out.

So absolutely this would step on Freds toes if made.

It is a small market in the atari world of things and very very few people making things for systems like the 7800.

I wish CPUWIZ felt more appreciated. :(

Without his contributions lots of stuff would not be available.

People like the bleep sounds and colors on the screen I guess and don't always understand what it takes to get it all to come together in cartridge form.

From what I understand games like BBQQ on cart would not be possible on cart without your special boards you designed and had invested in.

FWIW, I did feel very badly about announcing Edladdin Controllers right behind Uberarcade, but I really had been working on getting everything ready for months prior to my unlurking on September 12, 2014. I had been buying parts and building prototypes since June and had purchased the "edladdin.com" domain on July 7 of that year. I've been very happy to see that there has been room for both of us to serve the community in the two years to follow, and have been careful to never produce anything that goes anywhere the unique design/look he selected for his controllers.

I'm glad Uberarcade and grips03 are out there... More options are better for everyone, and lord knows I wouldn't want 7800 fans to be stuck with the Painline if I dropped dead tomorrow.

• Like 3

It has been mentioned before in other threads, but there really is a chicken and egg problem with the 7800 as a retro-gaming platform. Lots of us see the great games that did make it out (Food Fight, Robotron: 2084, etc) and then want a system. Then they discover that the rarer original titles are substantially more expensive than the commons and realize they may never be able to own a copy. As well, there seem to be many interesting home-brews but no easy way to play them on real hardware to see if they might want to buy, or worse some homebrews that are basically no longer available due to lack of POKEY (Beef Drop for instance, or BBCQ) ...

If Concerto or another comparable SD cart ever became readily available, able to be purchased by any new collector as they discover the 7800 and see for themselves what modern programmers have been able to accomplish, and play some of those rarer vintage games they'll never otherwise see in their lives, it can only help the platform and the community, or so it seems to me. I know that for mer personally, since I got a Harmony Cart, my collection of actual physical carts has exploded, since I've sought out copies of games I only discovered after I could enjoy them as originally intended. And while I have gathered up a folder full of homebrew roms to sample, I have created a prioritized list to buy in physical form as money allows. I doubt I'm unique in approaching things in this way.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. I am sure no one here doubts the contributions Fred has made to the Atari community - if anything, this new thread should serve as a reminder for him that people DO want what he's trying to create, just like they want - and continue to want - the Harmony.

• Like 2

You are not stepping on my toes, or pissing me off, I just offered my opinion. I put a LOT of money into making things for the 7800, without much return and I got tired of it. I can only imagine how much Fred has put into his cart. Would be a shame to see him walk away from developing as well.

Yeah, the cost is surprising! I added up how much I'd spent over the last few years developing all the projects I've been doing and it was up into several thousand pounds. And that's just material costs, tools, etc... doesn't take into account time.

The tricky part is where you get to a point where you have a working prototype, or have made a few runs of limited numbers. Where you go from there is the extremely difficult part. This is where it gets even more expensive and starts to seem like less fun and more like hard work.

So I completely understand why prejects die. I hope Fred kicks off his cart in ernest while I have other things I'm working on, the more people who make a success of their projects, the more we will see appearing and the more buoyant the retro scene will be.

If it does happen, I'll be buying one. ;)

• Like 7

Another good example of investing money for nothing. I probably have 100 POKEY's sitting around right now.

Pokeys value should be like gold. If not to the 7800 5200 then the 8 bit computer guys as thats one of the components they need to keep them running that is obsolete.

Indeed. I have a 1200XL that had both a dead POKEY and dead GTIA. I had to replace both of them, salvaged from a spare 600XL.

So yeah, if you don't plan to sell the POKEYs to Fred for use in Concertos or Perry/Curt for use in the XM, put them up on eBay or here in the Marketplace. I'd probably buy 2 or 3 just to replace the one I used and have a spare or two.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

Indeed. I have a 1200XL that had both a dead POKEY and dead GTIA. I had to replace both of them, salvaged from a spare 600XL.

So yeah, if you don't plan to sell the POKEYs to Fred for use in Concertos or Perry/Curt for use in the XM, put them up on eBay or here in the Marketplace. I'd probably buy 2 or 3 just to replace the one I used and have a spare or two.

You killed a 600 for a 1200? Noo!!
  • Like 1

You killed a 600 for a 1200? Noo!!

The 600XL in question looks like dogshit (and a small purse-dog pile!) but 1200XL is a big, sexy beast. So yeah, I sure did. :D

And let's be fair, the 600XL isn't exactly dead - more like suspended animation until I ever replace the parts I pulled. And now that I think about it, I also pulled a 4050 hex buffer to replace one in an 800XL, but I've since removed a 4050 from another 800XL when I installed one of Bryan's UAV boards into the socket, so I can put that one back someday.

I think putting them all into Bentley Bear carts is a much better idea myself :grin:

• Like 1

I think putting them all into Bentley Bear carts is a much better idea myself :grin:

Al would not pay what I would need for them. I paid roughly $5-$7 a piece. Gives you an idea about how much $ is getting put into this crap. ;)

All in all, I probably have $10K worth of materials for Atari projects sitting around. Idiotic, really. :roll:

• Like 2

Al would not pay what I would need for them. I paid roughly $5-$7 a piece. Gives you an idea about how much $ is getting put into this crap. ;)

All in all, I probably have $10K worth of materials for Atari projects sitting around. Idiotic, really. :roll:

Seems like $5+ is the price they go for now so $7 isn't really out of line. I don't think much of the price getting that high but the market sure says it is ok.

But what are you going to buy with $10K these days. Won't even get you a decent car. Plus you get to be my hero if that matters. :)

Edited by SIO2

But what are you going to buy with $10K these days. Won't even get you a decent car. Plus you get to be my hero if that matters. :)

If I see one more car appear, I will lose my shit. We have a sports car, a kickass hybrid and 2 SUV's, only the hybrid gets driven every once in a while.

I could try to buy a boxed Music Machine or something like that. And up my offer for a CIB Spike's Peak from $500 to something more tempting. :lol:

• Like 2

Any chance of coordinating a purchase from both you and Al to get cartridges requiring a Pokey? (Like Bentley's Quest)

I'd sure like to know where these $5 pokey's are at. I've been hunting Ballblazers on ebay and when you include shipping, it's tough to find them for less than $10.

I think a person could get $12 each from NOS pokey chips. It is worth it to save a Ball blazer and not have to desolder.

I think a person could get $12 each from NOS pokey chips. It is worth it to save a Ball blazer and not have to desolder.

Desoldering the POKEY can be a pain with the old solder. On the plus side, the shell can be used as a doner so a little cost is saved there. But I would much rather buy ready to use POKEY chips myself, but those are also hard to find at a decent price. Hopefully we'll have the HOKEY at some point and it has a reasonable price. I havn't seen any cost info on it yet.

• Like 1