IGNORED

RCA Studio II Multicart

flip

I'd want a multicart + composite board (unless it is dead easy to mod a Conic M1200 - feel free to point me to a page in that case). I think I can live without a shell, or reuse my spare Blackjack cartridge.

Hm.. so we're filling in our details on the Google sheet? I'll look it up right away.

Can't guarantee that the video mod works on an M1200... I've not seen a mod as such, but the CDP1864 should put out a composite signal somewhere, so I imagine it could well work...

You can't edit the list, but I've added your name to it...

FliP

Edited by flip

I'm interested in the multicart and composite out board, although I didn't see any pricing or what installation of the composite out board involves. Is there info I'm missing outside of the post #1?

The composite board is complementary, so no extra cost - it's a small PCB that needs to connect to the console in three points: GND, 5V and the video signal. You'll need to supply the cable to video out yourself, but an audio cable with an RCA plug will normally do...

I'll put up some pictures when I have the final board, but there's a (hopefully) elegant way to attach it to the PCB...

You'll need some basic soldering skill, but the board will come assembled...

FliP

Ok, fair enough. I haven't looked inside my console, in case there is a RF modulator whose signal I could tap, but likely it would need amplification to be used as a composite video signal. I suppose your board also taps audio from somewhere on the board, or at least that it could be added so you get both video and audio through the monitor?

Question : if I write any more Rcas2 games, to make them compatible with this what memory can I use, beyond the obvious (400-7ff) ? Is it just c00-Fff ?

Hi Paul,

Yes - I am only decoding the lower 4 address lines so the cart only 'knows' A0-A11, which gives it 1K addressable space... $800 to $BFF is used by the different consoles, so that leaves the addresses you quote. I guess that adding a second latch is possible, which would give 64K to play with, but there's no way to add RAM to the cart, as the MWR signal isn't there...

Not sure you saw my message some time ago: on real hardware, using long branches causes timing issues for the 1861, because it loses sync due to the three CPU cycles these instructions use. I've managed to patch Pong/Hockey and Combat, so they play fine. Invaders is giving me more problems, as it has a lot of long branches and 2 really long routines as far as I can see that go beyond the 256-byte pages. At the end of every cycle, the screen flickers as a result... Since Emma doesn't show the problem, testing can only be done by burning new versions to EEPROMs, which is rahter cumbersome.

As for ideas for new games: I was going to try and see whether I could adapt your Scramble code into a Flappy Bird clone - haven't gotten around to it yet, so I hope you can beat me to it!

There's a complementary cart reserved for you - if you PM me your details, I'll send it out with the rest of them...

regards,

FliP

Hi again,

The plan was to start shipping late next week. But since I've not asked anyone for money yet, the timescale is still 'when they are ready'. I still need to build at least half a dozen and I'm waiting for some more parts to build the composite mod.

If you could come up with a fix, that would obviously be worth the wait/delay!

Cheers,

FliP

Okay, I have set up a repository at https://github.com/paulscottrobson/studio2-games. The three problematic games are the old ones, Combat, Hockey and Invaders which were written before I knew about the 3-cycles issue. I probably won't have time tomorrow but should get it done over the weekend - hopefully !

• Like 1

Okay, I have set up a repository at https://github.com/paulscottrobson/studio2-games. The three problematic games are the old ones, Combat, Hockey and Invaders which were written before I knew about the 3-cycles issue. I probably won't have time tomorrow but should get it done over the weekend - hopefully !

I've forked the patches in for Hockey and Combat... Hope that's OK.

FliP

Okay, the github version of Invaders now has no LBanything LSanything or NOP. I don't think there are any other three cycle 1802 instructions. I've played it a bit and it seems to work fine. You might want to test it but I can't see any reason it should be problematic, it works okay in emulation.

I wrote that sixteen years ago ... makes me feel very old. Interesting coding, I appear to have written it as one long bash ... not very modular ... and just used long branches to work round the paging .... still those three were about the first 1802 code I wrote.

I notice Combat and Hockey have had some not all of the LBRs fixed. Are the glitches if any in these barely noticeable ? If so, I will just leave them alone if they work okay, so you can get your carts out.

Flappy bird would be fairly easy but I'd do it differently. Invaders would be more appropriate.

Invaders can't move the invaders invididually, the 1802 just can't cope, so what it does is remove all the bullets, scroll the whole screen left, right or down as far as the bases, and then draw the bullets back again. Flappy could work the same way ; remove the bird, scroll the whole screen left, draw the bird back, check for collision, draw in the right hand wall and loop.

Okay, the github version of Invaders now has no LBanything LSanything or NOP. I don't think there are any other three cycle 1802 instructions. I've played it a bit and it seems to work fine. You might want to test it but I can't see any reason it should be problematic, it works okay in emulation.

I wrote that sixteen years ago ... makes me feel very old. Interesting coding, I appear to have written it as one long bash ... not very modular ... and just used long branches to work round the paging .... still those three were about the first 1802 code I wrote.

I notice Combat and Hockey have had some not all of the LBRs fixed. Are the glitches if any in these barely noticeable ? If so, I will just leave them alone if they work okay, so you can get your carts out.

Hi again

I can confirm it runs perfect now on the real thing as well. Greatly appreciated Paul, thanks!

The long branches that are left in the others don't seem to do any harm. As long as they are not in the main loop, where a lot of screen updating happens, it doesn't seem to matter - or it's at least not noticeable/disturbing.

Thanks for the hints on how to tackle Flappy Bird - I'll try and get this cart out the door before having a go at that ;o)

FliP

Hi flip,

Great job you're doing! But i do have a question about it: how much $ are you asking for a multicart ?

As for the composite board, i'll pass since both my Studio II and Visicom are already AV modded. =)

Hi,

See the first post - Cart is $US40, which includes shipping from Belgium to anywhere in the world...

FliP

Thanks for the info, i must have crap in my eyes not seeing (errr...reading) in the first post....think i'm getting too old. :_(

At $40 (cart+shipping), it's a great deal so put my name on the list too. Now, it only missing a front and a back label

for those who's going to get a shell with it. Anyone up to designing those labels ?

Like this guy (Nishikintoki) on DeviantArt who made a front label and the box cover of a fan-made (non-existant) game

called "Race of Speed". Check out the two links:

http://nishikintoki.deviantart.com/art/Race-of-Speed-Studio-II-625633565

http://nishikintoki.deviantart.com/art/Race-of-Speed-Cartridge-Studio-II-1977-625634601

• Like 1