RCA Studio II Multicart

flip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of Flip's donated cart, I'm working on a 3D printed shell, it'll take me a bit before it is ready since the 3d scanning methods (3 different) I've tried have been abysmal. I might as well ask now if someone in Canada that has a working console and (preferrably the multicart) would like to do some test fitting of the early shells.

Any progress on this?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 11:02 AM, flip said:

Hi everyone,

It has taken longer than expected, but I am happy to announce I have a final version of an RCA Studio II Multicart. The newer system board versions were crippling a signal on the cartridge port, which meant that larger games (using $c00 and higher) would not work. Thanks to Ed Keefe (also active here), the cart now fixes this signal, meaning that no modification is needed to the console itself!

Using 2 hex encoders, 128 slots are available on an EEPROM - this is plenty for the existing games, both official ones and homebrew. The cartridge is compatible with clones, such as the Victory MPT-02 (though not with the Toshiba Visicom, as the slot/pinout is different). Should new games come out, or found, they can be added by flashing the EEPROM. Some photos are attached showing the cart playing Pong and Asteroids (both games by Paul Robson).

It's been designed to fit the original cartridge shells. Two holes are needed in the front for the rotary selection switches (and some internal tabs need to go as well). I have some spare shells of broken carts, courtesy of toymailman. I probably won't have time to modify them for the carts, but I'll add the shells on a first-come basis (i.e. until they run out).

The design is open source - see the schematics and the board file attached. You're welcome to build your own of course, but these are not intended to be used in a commercial product. If you'd rather have a ready-made one, I am happy to ship one anywhere in the world for US$40. Leave your username, whether you need a shell (on first come basis only - you'll have to modify it yourself to fit the cart). For those interested, I can add a small PCB that gives you composite out at no extra cost (but you need some soldering skills to add it to the console of course). Put that in your post as well...

I'll keep a list below this post with orders, to keep track of things. When your cart is ready to ship, I'll send you a PM with further details.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

FliP

post-41391-0-10355400-1473493635_thumb.jpg

rca_studio_II_mutli_v3.3.pdf 21.65 kB · 230 downloads

RCA_Studio_II_multicart_eagle.zip 89.93 kB · 188 downloads

post-41391-0-66713800-1473494088_thumb.jpg

post-41391-0-19273300-1473494263_thumb.jpg

post-41391-0-01236200-1473494271_thumb.jpg

Hi, where can i buy this multicart?

Lucius2018

22 hours ago, Lucius2018 said:

Well, just saw the offer... i would like to buy this multicart. I own rca studio ii console. If you cannot find a shell, can i put the board naked inside and work?

Loukas

Yes - it’ll work just fine without a shell... PM me for more details though i’m travelling over the WE so i will probably only reply somewhere next week!

FliP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flip said:

Yes - it’ll work just fine without a shell... PM me for more details though i’m travelling over the WE so i will probably only reply somewhere next week!

FliP

I am newly registered to this forum so i do not know how to PM. So this is my mail: ldyldy@yahoo.com

thank you in advance

Regards

loukas

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, David.H said:

Hello I would like to put in an order for a Multi cart with a shell. Thank you 

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Two problems unfortunately: I don't have any shells anymore. I had about 15 donated for the initial batch, but they ran out within days... If you have a donor shell, it's easy enough to put the cartridge in...

Second issue is that, for the moment, I cannot post to the USA due to the COVID-19 problems. I am in Europe and I have no idea when those services will restart. I'll keep an eye out and let you know, but it could be a few weeks or months...

regards,

FliP

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lucius2018 said:

Please you need to fix your paypal account. When i tried to send you money for the multicart, i got an error message from paypal that the paypal e mail you gave me is not valid. Thank you

Hi,

Also, please note that due to the Coronavirus measures, I am unable to post outside Europe for the moment... I advise to wait until things are back to normal.

It worked for everyone else so far since i started selling these, including someone that transferred money just last week... Not sure what the problem is you are having, but please make sure you use https://www.paypal.me/pmarien

It shouldn't ask for an e-mail address?

FliP

Edited by flip

Just now, flip said:

Hi,

It worked for everyone else so far since i started selling these, including someone that transferred money just last week... Not sure what the problem is you are having, but please make sure you use https://www.paypal.me/pmarien

It shouldn't ask for an e-mail address?

FliP

Also, please note that due to the Coronavirus measures, I am unable to post outside Europe for the moment... I advise to wait until things are back to normal.

FliP