IGNORED

TI-99/4A Stuff - Using your classic VGA based gear on contemporary flat-scr

RSS Bot

You want to use your F18A enhanced computer, vintage game machine or other VGA equipped classic computer on your fancy new big screen television set? Think again, most new TV’s no longer support VGA or S-Video inputs. Don’t you just love planned obsolescence and cost saving methods? What’s a hobbyist to do?

There are many different VGA to HDMI converters available for sale. The Sewell Hammerhead (pictured here) is on the upper end of the price scale. There are other more reasonably priced devices that will not ‘break the bank’ and still do the job quite well.

Items that you will need

1) VGA to HDMI converter (comes with power cable)
2) HDMI video cable
3) Optional power supply if you don’t use the USB power on the TV.

gallery_35324_1027_94923.jpg

There are numerous lower priced knock-off units out there, some in the $6.00 -$11.00 range. I cannot guarantee results with any of those as I do not have any first-hand experience with them. The one I purchased was listed in this link as a
<< “Vic Tsing” VGA to HDMI >>. This unit sells in the $20.00 range and is confirmed to work quite well with the F18A in my TI-99/4A. Thanks to Atari Age user JediMatt42 for bringing this specific unit to my attention.

If you do not already have an extra HDMI cable, you’ll probably want to purchase one at the same time.

Be aware that if your VGA output is only 640 X 480, like with the F18A, you’ll have to adjust the setting on your TV to display it at the full or proper size.

gallery_35324_1027_54647.jpg

This thing is a snap to install, however the audio output on many different devices varies, so no matter what converter you end up purchasing, you may have purchase or make your own converter for the audio plug.

INPUT WANTED
If you end up purchasing a device in the under $10.00 price range, I'd like to read your comments your comments and a review. Thanks.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/567/entry-13308-using-your-classic-vga-based-gear-on-contemporary-flat-screen-tvs/