IGNORED

Got Hard Hat and Space Cadet today, but...

JohnPCAE

No, actually it should read "enemy's planet"

Not if there is more than one enemy. If it is a group of enemies owning the planet, then it should be enemies' planet.

If you have enemy group A AND enemy group B and they both own the planet, the correct spelling is enemies'. Multiple enemy groups own it. if only enemy group A OR enemy group B own the planet alone it would be enemy's. A single enemy group owns it.

Edited by SoulBuster

If you have enemy group A AND enemy group B and they both own the planet, the correct spelling is enemies'. Multiple enemy groups own it. if only enemy group A OR enemy group B own the planet alone it would be enemy's. A single enemy group owns it.

But an enemy group could still be thought of as multiple enemies. It would still be proper to say enemies' planet. It is THEIR (that group's) planet.

Wouldn't it be enemies' planet only if group A and B normally fight eachother for superiority on the same planet, until you came there interupting their little war? If they normally live in peaceful co-existance, likely they will form one enemy to you even if they're different species. Then again in the world of sci-fi, it tends to be an anomaly of two different species living in peaceful co-existance on the same planet, so perhaps enemies' is more likely.

• Like 1

Not if there is more than one enemy. If it is a group of enemies owning the planet, then it should be enemies' planet.

Not if there are more than one enemy? I hate proofing boxes. This is a good reason to continue baggie releases. No one cares about the baggie.

I don't have the game or manual so I don't know the entire context, but I think grammar arguments are always fun so thought I would add this.

Rule 10. Beware of false possessives, which often occur with nouns ending in s. Don't add apostrophes to noun-derived adjectives ending in s. Close analysis is the best guide. Incorrect: We enjoyed the New Orleans' cuisine. In the preceding sentence, the word the makes no sense unless New Orleans is being used as an adjective to describe cuisine. In English, nouns frequently become adjectives. Adjectives rarely if ever take apostrophes. (http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp)

So, I think if the manual says, "We died on the enemies planet." I'm not sure you need any apostrophe. Also, I know no real grammar but am a bit bored at the moment.

I don't have the game or manual so I don't know the entire context, but I think grammar arguments are always fun so thought I would add this.

Rule 10. Beware of false possessives, which often occur with nouns ending in s. Don't add apostrophes to noun-derived adjectives ending in s. Close analysis is the best guide. Incorrect: We enjoyed the New Orleans' cuisine. In the preceding sentence, the word the makes no sense unless New Orleans is being used as an adjective to describe cuisine. In English, nouns frequently become adjectives. Adjectives rarely if ever take apostrophes. (http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp)

So, I think if the manual says, "We died on the enemies planet." I'm not sure you need any apostrophe. Also, I know no real grammar but am a bit bored at the moment.

It was on the back of the box, not the manual. And I am still pretty sure that you need an apostrophe. Also, your link doesn't work.