IGNORED

Atari Jag Rayman Prototype

litoskin

Today i have bought this cartridge coming from Ubisoft headquarters , it should be an early version of rayman for the jag, for what i have seen the games is quite different from the released one.

no presentation ,no titles, no options different world map and also stages are quite different...i don't know more about that and if the game is complete or not...some of you have ever seen something like that ? it seems a Cartridge PCB 4 chip for prototype games similar to other i have seen in the past but fitted with four chips...i don't know if it was for internal Ubisoft use or forr showing the game during events ,shows ,press.... the games work on a standard unmodified jaguar. Any help will be appreciated

post-17386-0-26960500-1474635329_thumb.jpg

post-17386-0-79123600-1474635396_thumb.jpg

post-17386-0-62910600-1474635451_thumb.jpg

post-17386-0-66448600-1474635517_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice, I always wondered if the present box is a secret level or something. On the retail version you can see only a corner of it when you are moving on the map. With all the hidden stuff i wondered if there is a secret passage that let's you access it. Lito did you get it from ubi recently or was it just a way of saying that it came from there originally? Always interesting to hear how people end up with that stuff.

The board appears to be an authentic Atari PCB, with four 8-bit EPROMs (like other known protos, but unlike released games which use two 16-bit ROM chips). The date codes on the chips also suggest they were manufactured between late 1992 and early 1994.

It could be a well-made fake, but based on the photos, my guess would be that it's a real prototype. Of course, it could be identical to the Rayman proto that's already known.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

No it's that exact cart i bought it after talking to someone working at ubisoft years ago and his opinion is it's fore sure original. Also retrogames.co.uk is a very reliable seller...i have bought from them in the past some rare proto ,developer units (not for the jag) and they always sent true products....They still have lots of prototypes and developer stuff for other systems in stock .

i bought without knowing what exactly it contains but comparing to the videos of beta on youtube it's quite different from viMasterJag or Kevin C versions... it seems an earlier version compared to viMasterjag one (but more similar to it than to Kevin C) .

i don't know how many different betas exhist of that game it could be nice to see the photos of cartridges of other beta owners to see the differences .... a Strange thing is that in some moments of playing you can't control Rayman but it make moves automatically ...One of these days i will try to make a video of it

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I used to review Jag games I had a few versions of Rayman sent over during development as they were trying to get coverage to build the interest. I don't remember any of the versions I had as being that different, mostly just tweaking the levels, better colours etc. The cart looks like the one's I'd get sent though. I did have a similar cart from Atari UK for Val D'isere but donated it to the Atari Museum with some other odds and ends a few years ago.