IGNORED

SpartaDOS - Early Versions

MrFish

Played with this 84 version SpartaDOS 1.1 a bit tonight.... some observations:

- INIT utlity has a 'customization' option to specify default drive, number of buffers, and write with verify on/off. (as well as the usual pick .DOS to use)

- When creating a new disk with DOS using INIT, the .DOS file is hidden.

- No R-Time8 support (tested with real R-Time 8 cart). Not sure which version introduced support for it? Probably 3.2 I guess.

- HS DOS works with Speedy divisor 0x9 (US Doubler, Happy, Duplicator, Super Archiver all use 0xA - for example UltraSpeed+ OS works with 0xA, but drops to 1x SIO with Speedy).

- HS DOS will boot, and seems somewhat reliable all the way up to divisor 4. It will successfully boot at divisor 2 sometimes. Amazing the routines from 1984 actually work with an SIO speed unfathomable to be supported in any storage device at the time.

- non-HS DOS's identify as version "A.1" instead of "1.1"

- STD_HS memlo $2557 (as booted)

- STD memlo $1F00 (using 2 buffers)

- RO_HS memlo $1B80 (using 2 buffers)

- RO memlo $1980 (using 2 buffers)

Haven't compared these observations against the '85 version of Sparta 1.1 to see if any of this is unique to the '84 version yet...

• Like 4

Scanning the early Spartados manual now. It's big and I have to do it manually so it will take a number of days.

Question: Did Tom Harker program the original Spartdos, or was he just the owner of the company?

Allan

Mike Gustafson was VP of R&D with ICD, I believe Spartan Software was his company and he likely brought an early version of SpartaDos with him when he and Tom Harker founded ICD.

• Like 4

Mike Gustafson was the technical mastermind of almost every single ICD product. He coded most versions of SpartaDos (except SDX, I think), the USD firmware, the Archiver, and many more. He also designed the US-Doubler and the MIO among others. He was also one of the original ICD founders. ...

And I can't believe that after so many years nobody has any contact with him as he disappeared from the surface of the earth! Just imagine having an interview with Kevin. Just image saying, yes, I still have the original sources and schematics for most ICD products !!! :)

• Like 4

Gustafson's on LinkedIn, I looked him up a couple days ago on a whim, thought about asking him about SDX.

Wow. So great! Not sure if the most appropriate question is about SDX. Precisely one of the few ICD products that (as I understand) he didn't write himself. Although, being the boss, he probably might have set the specifications to the developer.

May be just commenting him that there is still an active Atari community that admires his work so much, and would love to hear about him?

• Like 2

Scanning the early Spartados manual now. It's big and I have to do it manually so it will take a number of days.

Question: Did Tom Harker program the original Spartdos, or was he just the owner of the company?

Allan

Scanned 89 pages so far. Taking a while. It's a pain to scan. Into appendix C. About 19 pages to go. Hopefully I can finish tomorrow.

Allan

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Here is Mike's response:

Hi Jeff, Sorry, just noticed your question today. The core DOS functionality of SDX came from SpartaDos 2.3. Its disk layout is quite different from AtariDos and DOSes derived from it. SDX added a ton more commands to SpartaDos 2.3 and of course was cartridge based rather than loaded from disk. -Mike

Edit: I had asked him if SDX was from scratch or not.

Edited by Alfred
  • Like 5

Yeah, I'm not sure I believe his answer. Perhaps he misunderstood. I mean yes, the disk format that SDX uses comes from 2.3 or even 1.1 but that wasn't the question. So what, 3.2 and the unreleased 3.5 were just one-off throwaway versions ? That seems unlikely, Gustafson doesn't strike me as someone who just wastes his time. Although perhaps after finishing 3.5 he thought it was going to be too much work to get to where he wanted with the cart and started over. I don't believe there is any of the CAR: handler in 3.5, so perhaps things like that pushed him to start again.

I did notice with some amusement that in that 1.1 handbook it says ICD stands for Innovative Computer Design. Harker always insisted that it had no meaning. When I was there to pick up the Action! source and I asked him (again) he said what it really meant was I Can't Decide.

• Like 2

It was Innovative Computer Design afaik.... I never heard it referred to as anything else, ah Mr. Harker....

Well.. I was also in the "I Can't Decide" camp, but sure enough, here's what's officially written in the manuals:

SpartaDOS 1.1:

post-53052-0-70877000-1550037317.jpg

SpartaDOS Construction Set:

post-53052-0-93915300-1550037322.jpg

SpartaDOS X doesn't actually say :) :

post-53052-0-39088100-1550037328.jpg

And I always laughed when I saw this in the SDX manual...

post-53052-0-88739700-1550037333.jpg

Even more appropriate today, a powerful DOS for ancient computers :)

I really wonder where I read "I can't decide" now. I know Harker mentioned it in the Interview, but I heard it long before that. Maybe there's older magazine articles or other text documents to find...