IGNORED

Frogger Clone WIP (for practice purposes)

Somebody suggested that I try my hand at making something more simple in RB+ to get more practice and experience. I figured since one of the first tutorials is the Frogger clone Doger, why not do my very own Frogger clone. For now it will just be called Frogger, and yes it will have an actual frog in it. I have already done some graphics work. I have a death screen that will be displayed similar to the one in the Doger example and 2 level backgrounds. The first is the SNES Frogger background but edited to look nicer. The second is an arctic background I made from scratch. I will probably use the logs from the SNES version and custom glaciers for the arctic themed level.

Any suggestions?

post-45896-0-26324300-1476200260.png

post-45896-0-40387400-1476200271_thumb.png

post-45896-0-46833200-1476200281_thumb.png

post-45896-0-11251200-1476200299_thumb.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This question is for anyone with experience in sprite files in raptor. I have noticed that most Jaguar projects have the 24 bit .bmp sprite files arranged vertically to be accessed. Is there a way to access a sprite image from a horizontal file such as the ones I have attached here? I am thinking there is a way but not sure exactly how. It doesn't have to be columns for the next image in the frame can it not be rows? Or should I just realign the sprites in the standard vertical format as everybody else?

eyeball_strip12.bmp

spr_mr_burger_strip15.bmp

spr_red_sky_strip20.bmp

spr_red_sky_strip20.bmp

ship_strip16.bmp

spr_VM_R_strip16.bmp

lazer_L_R_spr_strip10.bmp

spr_portal_exit_strip32.bmp

explosion.bmp

You can access then from anywhere, by setting the GWIDTH and WIDTH parameters and specifying an offset into the image for the gfx_base, but RAPTOR auto-animated sprites will only work with the vertical strips.

Go with what RAPTOR wants, let it do as much for you as it can, don't fight the system - otherwise you are just wasting cycles :)

• Like 3

You can access then from anywhere, by setting the GWIDTH and WIDTH parameters and specifying an offset into the image for the gfx_base, but RAPTOR auto-animated sprites will only work with the vertical strips.

Go with what RAPTOR wants, let it do as much for you as it can, don't fight the system - otherwise you are just wasting cycles :)

OK. I'm not trying to be complicated. I was just trying to figure out different ways to do things. (admittedly no real benefit) Thanks.

I'm willing to make a box for it if you want it :)

I really do appreciate your offer and I am glad that you want to contribute to the Jaguar community because it IS something special, however for this particular frogger thing I don't think a box is necessary. I really want to just focus on getting a game made and right now im using the frogger concept just to learn how to do stuff in raptor. If there is a salvageable game that may come out of this and I do decide to release it I ASSSURE you i will request your services for the box! Don't worry you will be making boxes for me but I just want you to know that the frogger thing is just to get my feet wet.... for now

• Like 1

just a word of advice, you may want to go easy on those fancy hi colour backgrounds, you will probably have issues on hardware if you do

remember, if it works in VJ it does not mean to say that it will work on real hardware

Are you referring to the frogger backdrops or the animated sprite backgrounds I have up there? If you are talking about the frogger backdrops, would you recommend i convert the image to 256 colors first? I dont have a skunkboard or anything like that the only way i can test on real hardware is build a .abs file and use jiffi to burn to a CD-R.

Are you referring to the frogger backdrops or the animated sprite backgrounds I have up there? If you are talking about the frogger backdrops, would you recommend i convert the image to 256 colors first? I dont have a skunkboard or anything like that the only way i can test on real hardware is build a .abs file and use jiffi to burn to a CD-R.

What you are trying to make is simple enough that you could do it all in 16-bit and RAPTOR won't even break a sweat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm done messing with frogger/Doger for the day. This is what I came up with. It's not much, but it was fun. And I learned how to do some things I was confused about before. Thank you Clint, ggn and omf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMOPh1g58v8&feature=youtu.be

Frogger.rom

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

• 6 months later...

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Other examples would have you track the X and Y position of your player to determine when you are in a "home zone" however this is not necessary. What if I want my home zone to be in a state of motion? like a moving lilly pad? All that really needs to take place is a collision of the player with an object, this collision will then set your "win" flag +1. after you hit 5 of these invisible boxes the level change will occur. So simple, yet overly complicated in certain tutorials.

post-45896-0-72101200-1501209119.gif

IF RHIT(frog,frog,boxa,boxa)<>-1 THEN
RSETOBJ(wina,R_sprite_active,R_is_active)
RSETOBJ(boxa,R_sprite_active,R_is_inactive)
CALL SFX_groovy
CALL resetfrog
wingoala=1
ENDIF

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Other examples would have you track the X and Y position of your player to determine when you are in a "home zone" however this is not necessary. What if I want my home zone to be in a state of motion? like a moving lilly pad? All that really needs to take place is a collision of the player with an object, this collision will then set your "win" flag +1. after you hit 5 of these invisible boxes the level change will occur. So simple, yet overly complicated in certain tutorials.

It's good that you've worked this out - but cut the snide comments from now on.

• Like 1

Adding 5 transparent objects to the bus load is far, far less efficient than checking a single Y co-ordinate, and then if that passes, the individual X's.

While this does work, it wouldn't be recommended.

I do understand that its 5 extra objects added to the bus, and I understood that before going that way, but I think (hopeful) it will handle it. Mostly because I want a couple of the levels to have moving home zones. (Asteroids, lillypads)

Im going to roll with it like that for now and see how it goes. If nothing else I can make the levels that dont need moving homezones track the X,Y position.