Photo

Frogger Clone WIP (for practice purposes)

34 replies to this topic

#26 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:34 PM

So I got the level transitions working the way I proposed. This is ALL in VJ I have not had time to test on SKUNK yet. So far everything appears to be fine. Except I couldn't get the damn win flags to trigger, I don't know why because it SHOULD have worked the way I had it set up. So I came up with an alternate method hat works just fine. Now I have a Scoreb that is running and NOT being printed. When that score is greater than 249 it will got to level 2 loading subroutine, when greater than 499 it will go to level3 loading subroutine and so on and so on. It HAS to be a seperate score because there will be other elements in the game that will award you points on the main score and well I can't have the main score trigger the level switches because that could potentially get screwy. I didn't however NEED to make the points the same (50 points per home zone) it's just easier for me to remember that way. I'm happy with the progress so far. The main thing I want to do is be able to load all of the stages now. once that is done I will focus on adding the level objects and making sure all of the collisions are working as intended (a problem of mine in the past) Then I will make sure all the sounds are good and 8 bit signed.

I'm trying to take a more level headed approach to this rebuild. Hopefully it will turn out great.

And YES I'm going to change the frog to where it does NOT strobe and it moves left and right. And a jump animation. But first the game mechanics.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 PM.

#27 CyranoJ ONLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• 5,548 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 PM

So what you are saying is you are having trouble with a variable counting up to 5.

#28 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 PM

So what you are saying is you are having trouble with a variable counting up to 5.

no. I didn't use a counter. I was trying to use 5 separate flags vs a single counter that counts to 5. I didn't think of that. Anyway its working with the additional score tracker so it's fine

EDIT--------- OH that's exactly what I'm doing with the additional score..... oh well.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 PM.

#29 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 PM

Added a death animation and a win animation for when you get into a home zone. Now he strobes when it matters! Still working out the look of the frog in game.

#30 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:28 PM

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 PM.

#31 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:10 PM

#32 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:58 AM

#33 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,415 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:38 AM

It seems like sometimes the frog is walking on invisible logs? Also I noticed around 00:17 that the frog is actually allowed to leave the left hand side and come back from the right hand side - probably not what the original frogger does...

#34 WAVE 1 GAMES OFFLINE  

WAVE 1 GAMES

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,061 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:54 AM

It seems like sometimes the frog is walking on invisible logs? Also I noticed around 00:17 that the frog is actually allowed to leave the left hand side and come back from the right hand side - probably not what the original frogger does...

Thats the water current in level 1. It will pull you to the left as soon as you are touching water. The river level will have this too but much faster. You will not instantly die when touching the water in these areas as frogs can actually swim, what will happen however is if the water carries you off screen like you pointed out you WILL die. No screen wrapping just DEATH.The ice and lava levels you will instantly die when touching either of those elements. The sky level if you fall off a cloud the player sprite will scale down to nothing simulating a fall and you will instantly die. The space level the player sprite will scale up like the food items in VR mode of FF64 and your player will scroll up and to the right instantly dying, this is to simulate zero gravity. (Yes I know zero gravity is not REALLY like that)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones, Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 AM.

#35 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,415 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:40 AM

No problems about all these from me! I was just comparing what I saw to the original Frogger. So from what I gather you need to fix the wrap=death as it's not working now. Also it would probably be nice if you let people know that this is a deviation from the classic game. Perhaps having a "classic" mode or even renaming the game entirely if it doesn't follow the basic rules of Frogger.

Of course it's all up to you, just making some suggestions.

Edited by ggn, Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:40 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users