IGNORED

When does season 6 start?

Atarian7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the site!

When season 6 starts (I'm told it will be in January) all you have to do is play the assigned game every week and post your score in the thread for that week. You will be

automatically added to the participants list.

Last place for the week scores 1 point and each score above that goes up 1 per player. So if there are 40 players for the week last place gets 1 point and 1st place gets 40. 2nd place gets 39, 3rd place gets 38, etc.

Check out some of the season 5 posts to get a better idea of how it works.

• Like 4

I think the game gets revealed a day before each week's competition begins. Sometimes they're a little late but if they are they give an extra day to play.

Like karo said, everyone plays the same game during the regular season. At the END of the season the top 24 get grouped into gold , silver, and bronze medal brackets for single elimination tournaments.

• Like 1

Will there be a list of games that are going to be played so we know which game we need to get?

We don't get any advance notice for what games will be played each week, so you basically have three options for how to make sure you can participate every week.

Option 1: Emulation

By playing Atari 2600 games emulated on a computer, Nintendo Wii, Xbox, or any other system that supports the Stella emulator you can have full access to the entire Atari 2600 library. Best of all it's free!

Option 2: Build an enormous library of every Atari 2600 game released in the United States.

Is money no object to you? If you said "yes" then this might be your preferred option. For the other 99% of people there's...

Option 3: Buy a Harmony cartridge

This is really the premiere option for anyone who would rather play games on an actual Atari 2600 system than emulate them on a computer or more modern console. For anywhere from $60 to $85 US dollars (depending on the options you choose) you can buy a Harmony cartridge, which is a flash cart for the Atari 2600 that let's you insert an SD card loaded with the ROMs for any Atari 2600 games you want to play into it then play those games on a real Atari 2600 system. Personally I'd recommend the Harmony Encore cartridge for $85, since it has beefed up hardware inside that allows it to play every Atari 2600 game there is including all the latest homebrew games. You can order one here: http://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 5

Thanks. How do we sign up?

There's no sign up or anything like that. You just play the game of the week, post a picture of your highest score, and that's that. You can join in or drop out as you please, no obligations required. I think I only did like 3 weeks last season, since I didn't have a Harmony cartridge yet at the time.

You can check out some of the other High Score Clubs in the meantime while we wait for the Atari 2600 one to get going again if you want to get a better idea of how it works. Personally I'm keeping myself occupied with the Atari 7800 high score club at the moment: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/89-7800-high-score-club/ :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Will there be a list of games that are going to be played so we know which game we need to get?

Stella is a great emulator and can cover you for most of the games played. I use emulation with a logitech game pad, works well for me, well the only tough time is with paddle controller games. Having said all that you can buy cables so you can use paddles/original controllers with Stella.

Great thing about HSC is can find some gems you would never had given the time for. It can rearrange your top 10 favorite 2600 games really quickly, also great for knowing what games you might want to buy in physical cartridge form. Anyway welcome to the site

Edited by Tony The 2600
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...