IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Super Community Podcast

thevnaguy

5be388562604ae91feaa64c7f55392bd.jpg

I’m getting ready for your Space Invaders Episode. What a fun Trak Ball Game! I also really enjoyed Galaxian with the Trak Ball! The movement feels silky smooth and precise with the Trak Ball. I opened up the Trak Ball and looked inside to see why the control was so precise. I was surprised to find Metal roller bars with bearings. What an impressive bit of engineering! In the Galaxian Manual it says it was a “Future accessory”. Maybe you guys could do a 2 part Episode with Space Invaders and Galaxian?

Edited by adamchevy

5be388562604ae91feaa64c7f55392bd.jpg

I’m getting ready for your Space Invaders Episode. What a fun Trak Ball Game! I also really enjoyed Galaxian with the Trak Ball! The movement feels silky smooth and precise with the Trak Ball. I opened up the Trak Ball and looked inside to see why the control was so precise. I was surprised to find Metal roller bars with bearings. What an impressive bit of engineering! In the Galaxian Manual it says it was a “Future accessory”. Maybe you guys could do a 2 part Episode with Space Invaders and Galaxian?

You should submit a score over on the facebook page to see how you stack up against the rest of the hosts (especially that blankity blank Matt :P) may do galaxian as you suggested after space invaders :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Willy!

I didn't know you programmed games on your 800XL back in the day.... what were their names and what were they like?

I did a program to run my model railroad with the ability to track where the trains were, control switches and such through the keyboard and show the layout diagram on a display. Had it made into a cartridge to run on a Atari 400 I had at the time. I made numerous simple games while learning to program such has Tic Tac Battle, where the X's and O's had to fight over spaces by trying to push one another out of the space like sumo wrestlers. I also made a star trek themed vertical shooter based on the classic series. The one game I was most proud of that I had planned on sending in to APX was called Orbital Wars. It was a take on Space War but each player had planets they could orbit to refuel and repair. The planets could be damaged to affect repair/refuel time while the players battled it out. it had gravitational effects (planets would orbit around the central sun) as well as ships would drift if not moving. you could defend your planet while orbiting to refuel/repair. The ships would also take damage, you had up to 4 hits before exploding. the first hit, would take out your shield, the second hit would affect your thrusters, the third hit would affect your photons. The game was nearly complete, but then I discovered the joys of getting my first car and cruising the strip for chicks :P and it was never finished :)

• Like 2

I did a program to run my model railroad with the ability to track where the trains were, control switches and such through the keyboard and show the layout diagram on a display. Had it made into a cartridge to run on a Atari 400 I had at the time. I made numerous simple games while learning to program such has Tic Tac Battle, where the X's and O's had to fight over spaces by trying to push one another out of the space like sumo wrestlers. I also made a star trek themed vertical shooter based on the classic series. The one game I was most proud of that I had planned on sending in to APX was called Orbital Wars. It was a take on Space War but each player had planets they could orbit to refuel and repair. The planets could be damaged to affect repair/refuel time while the players battled it out. it had gravitational effects (planets would orbit around the central sun) as well as ships would drift if not moving. you could defend your planet while orbiting to refuel/repair. The ships would also take damage, you had up to 4 hits before exploding. the first hit, would take out your shield, the second hit would affect your thrusters, the third hit would affect your photons. The game was nearly complete, but then I discovered the joys of getting my first car and cruising the strip for chicks :P and it was never finished :)

Cool! Orbital Wars sounds like that would've been a lot of fun to play. Is the source code gone? :)

Okay, as a car guy myself, I gotta know what ride/'hot-rod' were you sporting back in the day? BTW, great little story and I really like your first-hand memories of gaming in the late70s and early 80s.

• Like 1

Okay, as a car guy myself, I gotta know what ride/'hot-rod' were you sporting back in the day? BTW, great little story and I really like your first-hand memories of gaming in the late70s and early 80s.

I had a 73 Mercury Montego GT - 302 - 4 barrel. zero to ticket in 3 seconds :P

Oh and Lynxpro - the source code is long gone for Orbital Wars. I did release a early build of it and some of my other smaller games on BBS's back in the 80's. I keep hoping I will run across one again :P

• Like 3

The game was nearly complete, but then I discovered the joys of getting my first car and cruising the strip for chicks :P and it was never finished :)

See, someone needs to explain to Opcode the difference between stopping development for legit reasons like this (I'd do the same as you in that situation) and getting distracted and stringing everyone along. (No sarcasm for any of this, DK Arcade is an issue.)

Anyway, my ranting about CV community policies aside, cool story. Orbital Wars sounds interesting, unfortunate that it's lost.

• Like 1

See, someone needs to explain to Opcode the difference between stopping development for legit reasons like this (I'd do the same as you in that situation) and getting distracted and stringing everyone along. (No sarcasm for any of this, DK Arcade is an issue.)

Anyway, my ranting about CV community policies aside, cool story. Orbital Wars sounds interesting, unfortunate that it's lost.

yep, I bought a SGM just because of DKA and am still waiting. wish Opcode would finish this and quit starting up other projects. Kind feel it was baited and switched :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you guys still want a podcast format for the Atari 5200 Super Community? I am thinking of just releasing the video version as the Community podcast just does not seem to be hitting well like the original Atari 5200 Super Podcast. So I may end it again :P (just the podcast format, video format will continue).

Personally, I enjoy the podcasts more than the videos and have listened to them while at work. However, if things aren't working out and you decided to wrap things up (for the podcast), I can understand that, too. Either way, keep up the good work!

Do you guys still want a podcast format for the Atari 5200 Super Community? I am thinking of just releasing the video version as the Community podcast just does not seem to be hitting well like the original Atari 5200 Super Podcast. So I may end it again :P (just the podcast format, video format will continue).

• 4 weeks later...