Photo

Ms. Galactopus - WIP

9 replies to this topic

#1 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,126 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:40 AM

Ms. Galactopus sat at home, waiting for her husband to return from earth with food for their children. Earth is very far from Galactopia, and they have a lot of children, so she knew the wait would be long. She tried to tell herself everything was fine, that he had just stopped on the way home to play a hand of space rummy with his friends. But now she can't lie to herself any longer. Something happened to her husband on earth, and now she's going there to find out what.

This is essentially level 1 of Ms. Galactopus. Your goal is to push her to the top of the screen by hitting her with your laser blasts before her children can disable earth's defense shield, allowing her to destroy the planet. Right now the game just stops when either you succeed in pushing her to the top of the screen or one of her babies makes it through the shield.

I do have ideas for opening and closing animations and subsequent levels, but here's the start.

Attached Thumbnails

• msgalactopus6.txt_1.png

Attached Files

Edited by KaeruYojimbo, Sun May 28, 2017 8:56 AM.

#2 neotokeo2001 OFFLINE  

neotokeo2001

River Patroller

• 3,731 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:56 AM

Very cool!! Ms. Galactopus looks great!!

Edited by neotokeo2001, Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:57 AM.

#3 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,126 posts

Posted Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:34 PM

A few little updates. Added some sound, scoring and end of level bonuses. With each new level, Ms. Galactopus starts a little closer to the player but other than that it doesn't get any harder yet.

Attached Files

#4 chavert OFFLINE  

chavert

Chopper Commander

• 182 posts

Posted Fri Nov 4, 2016 11:46 AM

Hey, good game. It's pretty cool  :)

#5 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,126 posts

Posted Sun Nov 6, 2016 11:42 AM

Thanks! Glad people are liking it!

Here's the latest version.

Attached Files

#6 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,126 posts

Posted Fri May 26, 2017 9:40 AM

It's been a few months, but I'm back to work on Ms. Galactopus. Most of the changes since the last post are under the hood, but I did add a death scene for Ms. G and fixed the animation of the babies. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on the game again and keep updating regularly.

Attached Files

#7 fluxit OFFLINE  

fluxit

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Fri May 26, 2017 3:19 PM

It's already a very cool game.  My only disappointment is that the babies are unaffected if you hit them while they are still moving with the Ms.

#8 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,126 posts

Posted Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 AM

I thought that the game would be too easy if you could blast the babies any time, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Attached Files

#9 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,878 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun May 28, 2017 12:40 PM

i think I like the babies acting as a shield until they drop.  Increases the challenge dramatically for me.  Otherwise, this quickly becomes a mindless shooter.

#10 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,126 posts

Posted Tue May 30, 2017 11:54 AM

I guess it depends on how you want to play. You can just blast away, but if you want a good score, you need to focus on Ms. G.

Each level has a set number of babies worth 15 points each. If you kill all of them, you get a bonus of 25 points per level of shield remaining.

But, if you kill Ms. G, your bonus is 25 x the number of babies left x the level of shield left and you replenish a level of shield of you have less than the max.

So it still pays to go after Ms. G rather than the babies. It might even be a little harder this way since it's possible to accidentally take out a baby still at the top of the screen and cost yourself bonus points.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users