IGNORED

My Incredible Colecovision Weekend

ValkerieSilk

I'm pretty sure our local Montgomery Wards had one of these BITD.

I remember seeing it and the game Time Pilot had just come out. I patiently waited my turn while some other kid played the game for about 10 minutes. Then when it was finally my turn, I'd played all of 30 seconds or so when this snooty employee in a tie, marched up and turned it off. I don't even remember if he flicked a switch or just unplugged it, but I was on my first guy when the whole thing went blank. "This isn't an arcade, kids" he quipped as we stood there dumbfounded. We left, bought our games elsewhere and I don't think we ever bought a game at Ward's for as long as they were in business...

I remember seeing it and the game Time Pilot had just come out. I patiently waited my turn while some other kid played the game for about 10 minutes. Then when it was finally my turn, I'd played all of 30 seconds or so when this snooty employee in a tie, marched up and turned it off. I don't even remember if he flicked a switch or just unplugged it, but I was on my first guy when the whole thing went blank. "This isn't an arcade, kids" he quipped as we stood there dumbfounded. We left, bought our games elsewhere and I don't think we ever bought a game at Ward's for as long as they were in business...

You're welcome to hang out and play this one as long as you'd like .... PM if you find yourself in the LA area....

• Like 1

What a tool...

The Montgomery Wards my folks shopped at had this same kiosk. I remember it was the first time I had seen Smurf. I was completely blown away by the graphics of said game. I must have spent an hour playing it that day. Weird... I didn't get yelled at.:)

What's ironic about your story, my Wards actually had some arcade games in the breezeway of the store. One of them was Time Pilot!

• Like 2

What a tool...

The Montgomery Wards my folks shopped at had this same kiosk. I remember it was the first time I had seen Smurf. I was completely blown away by the graphics of said game. I must have spent an hour playing it that day. Weird... I didn't get yelled at. :)

What's ironic about your story, my Wards actually had some arcade games in the breezeway of the store. One of them was Time Pilot!

Oh cool!

Our Wards had it tough because right across the street from them in the same complex was this store called Grand Central. And Grand Central had a whole arcade in the front of it, plus they sold Atari games, models, records, Micronauts, Star Wars Figures...And they were a big department store to boot. They had started early on video games...because before the arcade was in place (I say arcade meaning about 8-10 games in a corner area in front), they had 2 or 3 black and white Atari coin ops in the 70's,...These were just placed up ahead of the registers. As a kid I just called them Motorcycle, Planes, and Football haha...

FWIW The only game I clearly remember buying at Ward's was Megaforce (for Atari), oh and an Entex Galaxian handheld, before that Coleco kiosk incident...Then again after Grand Central went out of business (Mid 80's) Ward's was still there and sold NES games and was the only place I remember seeing a Sega Master System...

• Like 2

Awesome acquisition! They had this kiosk at my local Monkey Wards too, the only place I ever saw one. Those controls are what Coleco should have made the controllers like. It's like they knew the arcade style ball-topped joystick and arcade buttons were better than the actual controllers. It would've truly brought the arcade experience home.

Awesome acquisition! They had this kiosk at my local Monkey Wards too, the only place I ever saw one. Those controls are what Coleco should have made the controllers like. It's like they knew the arcade style ball-topped joystick and arcade buttons were better than the actual controllers. It would've truly brought the arcade experience home.

I remember thinking this exact thought about those awesome controls! (And Nowadays we have Edladdin :)

But BITD my prayers were answered also...In a magazine I saw an arcade controller for Colecovision and I ordered one. It had a ball top joystick (Not exactly like in the arcade but close enough), leaf switches (Too bad no microswitches), and 2 arcade buttons per side, with the joystick in the middle...I usually played using the joystick in my right hand FWIW ...

Unfortuately, when it "wore out", I threw it away, not even realizing I could have replaced parts! Yeah kicking myself on that one...Today it would have been cool even to have the case it came in and put in a sanwa or something... *sighs*

• 1 month later...