IGNORED

How many times have you done it?

Sinphaltimus

Not as often as I have wanted to type "LOAD DSKx.filename" instead of "OLD DSKx.filename". Similarities with other systems aside, LOAD would have been consistent with the DSR routine names and Editor Assembler (i.e., Load and Run). But I digress.

I have typed RUN "DSK#.filename" most of the time even when i ment to have typed OLD "DSK#.filename"

• Like 1

Not as often as I have wanted to type "LOAD DSKx.filename" instead of "OLD DSKx.filename". Similarities with other systems aside, LOAD would have been consistent with the DSR routine names and Editor Assembler (i.e., Load and Run). But I digress.

Load vs. Old is my second most common oops on the TI. I spend a lot of time in the Windows command prompt and exit happens without even a thought.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Yes but in my particular instance the purpose is to close Classic99. So indeed it is recursion that's happening but my brain just wants C99 to close without having to touch the mouse or alt+f4. LOL.

I don't think I would ever do this on real iron. The mindset is different.

I seem to remember seeing an article way back in time that mentioned that TI BASIC is rooted in ANSI Standard BASIC for all of its naming conventions and functions. I also remember that the article mentioned only one other home computer of that era that also used a flavor of ANSI--I think it was the COSMAC ELF. Pretty much everyone else used a flavor of Microsoft BASIC (which was also the first Microsoft product that sold in quantity, as they were contracted out by an awful lot of computer manufacturers to port their BASIC over once it took the Homebrew computer market by storm, becoming the de facto standard).

• 2 weeks later...

When you accidentally paste source in to classic99 and is screams at you to stop it.

doh.png

When I did my first programming course at university 1992, I did this in an interesting way.

The assignment was to extend an Eliza program written in Scheme (lisp dialect) and I accidently pasted parts of the source code at the running prompt. To that the program responded: Maybe in our fantasy we quote each other?

• Like 2

Ok, somewhere I remember reading about why TI went with OLD instead of LOAD. IIRC (which I probably do not) it had something to do with ANSI standard, re: mizapf OLD vs NEW.

The original Dartmouth BASIC ran on a timesharing computer system that used some operating system commands to interact with BASIC. This system used OLD to retrieve programs from storage. It also used BYE to sign off. (HELLO was used to sign in). It seems like TI followed the Dartmouth standard pretty closely with TI 990 BASIC, which 99/4 BASIC was derived from. If you find the manual for 990 BASIC online, you'll see how similar 99/4 BASIC.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/basicfifty/commands.html

• Like 1