IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

Some thoughts.. There's a lot of configurations here. Looks like we'll have to contend with..

2- controllers

1- base station

1- controller dock

1- screen/console/main unit assembly

1- set of cables and chargers

And whatever 3rd party accessories come out. Seems a bit too much gadgetry and things to keep track of, for me anyways. But for families whose kids take a special carry-on bag full of tronics with them on vacation this shouldn't be a problem. And yup I know many that pack like 10 kilos of electronics gear, PER KID, for a weekend stay at like Great America or Cedar Point. Heaven forbid they go with less than 25kg of stuff to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Maybe that's normal and expected in other families, but not mine.

I'm so used to 1 laptop, 1 power adapter, and a flip-phone as my war chest. And no other crap. The phone charges from the laptop. If I'm brave and going on an extended mission I might pack a gamepad + mouse too.

I also don't fit the products intended audience. I'm not the millennial type and I don't play millennial games. Not that that's good or bad, I simply don't. Furthermore I'm never attached to my devices like they over-emphasize in the commercial. And for people that are, they're going to be dragging two platforms with them? Better make the screens on new devices smaller so they are truly portable. Wait. Better make them bigger for a better "experience". And back and forth, and forth and back.. the industry desperately vibrates.. trying to find the magic size.

I don't know.. but when I go to a national park or on safari the last thing I want to do bury my face in some device. Maybe that's abnormal thinking these days.

As far as the cute chick taking an interest in what games I (you) may be playing, it does happen. Maybe not with the high-energy as depicted in the spot. But it happens.

I suppose whether I get one of these for myself or for giveaways at my annual (soon-to-be bi-annual) tech bashes remains to be seen. I think it will come down to two major questions:

1- Will it have games I want to play? And for me that's going to be classic material mostly.

2- How much will it complain and stop working when you don't have an internet connection? All the DRM and DLC and always-on internet for the recent generations has annoyed me to no end.. to the point of me not even raising an eyebrow to what current systems offer. I couldn't even name current systems' networks, let alone any games..

We'll see what happens!

• Like 5

I wonder what its built in storage is? With more and more downloadable games and content, it might not be that big of a deal.

I wonder if it will use memory cards like the Vita. I don't know how else they would get around the gigantic games we have today because it's going to have to have a solid state storage system so it can't be huge and economical. I guess we will see soon enough

I wouldn't leave that large "portable" screen in the hands of kids, they'll break it before you can say "be careful". That double-slide-in controller doesn't look ergonomic at all. Too many different pieces to this setup, some of which are easy to misplace.

Still, it's generally not too bad in terms of design, but if third-party devs and publishers don't jump onboard beyond the first year, it's not going to matter.

Wow, tough crowd here. As it's well known, I think Nintendo sucks. I equate them to being the Metallica of video games....they were only good for a short time and that was a long time ago, that I don't even remember they exist. But I gotta say, at least aesthetically, they nailed the Switch. It looks like a solid, modern device, not clumsy, and very cleanly laid out. I think this may work. This current Generation of games sucks complete ass. I feel it is the worst ever. The PS4 and Xbone home screens alone are cluttered messes and pretty much every single game is a cluttered screen with over-promised and under-delivered everything. I see that as a good thing for Nintendo. They don't need a heavy hitter 3rd party title this time around, not only because of the things I mentioned, but everyone on the software side is playing it very safe. Nothing on the horizon that suggest any unique or whimsical games. Software has been Nintendo's problem in living rooms for like, well, ever now, and there isn't a huge gap to overcome this time around. If it has a decent online service, and solid, repetitive software, I can't see it not doing well at all.

I dig it and hope they do well with it :thumbsup:

• Like 6

That has got to be one of the worst names I've ever heard. At least Wii or even NX had an identity of their own, but "Switch"?? It sounds like a five cylinder car that was only sold in Moldavia but then imported and sold here under the Daihatsu brand. The name isn't for me, it sounds way too fucking hokey.

Aside from the name I'm disappointed with the reveal. It's pretty much exactly what the vast majority of rumors and speculation said it would be. I was hoping there would be something extra that no one could have expected or predicted, after all even Nintendo said they were keeping it under wraps for so long so no one could steal some brilliant idea of theirs. But nope, no surprises today.

Those of you thinking this is going to be a powerhouse to challenge PS4/XBONE are kidding yourselves. According to rumors (which have been revealed to be pretty accurate) it's not even going to be 1080p. I really wonder if the dock does anything computing wise or if it's just a pass through/charger. The idea isn't that bad but if they're counting on marketing this to adults (which they seem to in the video) that's going to be a tough nut to crack. I have a pretty good job and I would never even dream of taking this thing to work to play during lunch or on a plane, people would start too look at me funny. Handhelds/portables are still mainly for kids because they're usually away from their console as their parents drag them around everywhere, adults have the luxury of staying in whenever they want. While I look forward to first party Nintendo titles, especially the possibility of Super Mario Galaxy 3, I feel that hardware wise they're riding a fine line between the Ouya and the Nomad.

And now that controller. Holy shit that controller looks awful. First of all, not only did they get rid of the d-pad but there's a reason why all controllers have their controls offset. It's just the way human thumbs work. Do you think Sony would ever do this?

r77QEkW.jpg

Well it's what Switch plans to do.

nintendo-switch-2.jpg

And yes, I know they're going to have a 'pro' type controller that has a real d-pad and offset controls but my point is it should come out of the box like that.

Another thing to think about- no matter how you arrange the stock controller, it's still a three piece set of controls. Unless it fits down to the smallest micron (it won't) that is only going to wear itself out, making it feel flimsy and cheap over time if it doesn't already out of the box.

• Like 2

I've had the NX/Swtich on pre-order since 21/3/15 :) EB Game Australia started taking pre-orders as soon as the Nintendo NX name was announced with no details. I only put down $10 and I was in the store pre-ordering some Amiibos anyway.

This console is exactly what I want. I play the Wii U and 3DS a lot but they are separate experiences. Having games like Smash Bros and Hyrule Warrior on both systems is good but not the same. I'm really only interested in the Nintendo exclusives but playing Skyrim on a portable console would be great!

I hope they keep the Streetpass features of the 3DS.

The only problem is we will probably need 3 more Switch consoles in our house if the next Pokemon (after Sun and Moon) and Animal Crossing games are on Switch not 3DS.

I really liked what I saw. Hit pretty much all the bases that I was hoping to see and I'm glad to see footage of a new 3D Mario platformer, as well. Heck, I even like the name which is quite a change from recent Nintendo systems.

The one potential complaint that I have is that the split d-pad rumors were correct. I hope they know what they're doing, since I'm skeptical that Sony's split design could be evolved to ever match what we've grown accustomed to from Nintendo.

And while not a complaint, I see that this doesn't have the scrollable shoulder buttons that were viewed as a possibility after a patent surfaced. I guess Nintendo couldn't get that working, but I wouldn't of minded seeing an independent scroll wheel placed in a convenient location instead. It comes in handy on a mouse on the PC for gaming, so I wouldn't of minded seeing that come to console gaming finally.

And no word yet on if the end pieces have motion functionality despite being reminiscent of the form factor of a Wiimote (Or traditional Wiimote support as well). I got a feeling both are out if they weren't featured here even briefly.

Too bad, since motion had its place in limited circumstances (Wii Sports, Metroid Prime, Ghost Squad, Resident Evil 4, etc.) and Wiimote support would allow backwards compatibility with accessories like arcade sticks, GameCube style controllers, the NES Mini gamepad, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

.... I got a feeling both are out if they weren't featured here even briefly.

...they didn't feature anyone touching the screen either, do you think it's not touch?

I'm asking I really do not know what to think but I am not impressed by the utter lack of ergonomic of the thing they call "a controller" (or however many pieces it has).

I also don't buy multi-playing on those half things and have fun, the wiimote was barely usable in horizontal mode, don't see this be more than the backseats of a convertible car ... barely there.

Those of you thinking this is going to be a powerhouse to challenge PS4/XBONE are kidding yourselves. According to rumors (which have been revealed to be pretty accurate) it's not even going to be 1080p.

That can't possibly be true, can it? Even Wii U does 1080p.

Still scratching my head about the Switch personally... I don't know what to think just yet, but Nintendo's preview was indeed puke-inducing.

...you mean like welfare or social security !??!

GPU would need to use other System resources to be 4K capable so it would be possible

That can't possibly be true, can it? Even Wii U does 1080p.

Still scratching my head about the Switch personally... I don't know what to think just yet, but Nintendo's preview was indeed puke-inducing.

Believe they are talking tablet mode probably do to power restraints and possibly a 720P screen

But it probably runs at least 1080P docked to your TV

It will be interesting to see how the Nintendo fanboys spin this one since the controller does bring immediate flashbacks of the DC controller or even Wii U Tablet itself. I'm sure it will be fine to use, but they really need to make sure EVERY game is compatible with their pro controller in case. It's part of the reason if this thing has a touch screen, it will fail, it might as well just be a Wii U all over again. Touch screens have no place in home gaming, it's atrocious. I normally trust companies for their controllers, but they so often mess up - and Nintendo themselves is coming off a clunky Wii U controller that doesn't exactly hype my enthusiasm for this product.

Of course, I'm gonna get this as it's likely to be my last console, but the rehashes of all the Wii U games that potentially might come out for it just makes it look like a big slap in the face to Wii U owners like myself, who will see these games we already have ported over to NX to beef up content for new users, all the while likely leaving people like me who already has these games in the dust unless they churn out games in Wii/DS numbers.

I am cautiously optimistic, but Nintendo messes up too many times to put any faith in. Nevermind the power, the system needs a legit, functional, adult oriented online system too. The total upside to this is unless somehow it completely bombs with both the handheld and home side of things, it's going to have a user base large enough to be able to inherit a lot more third party support. With that said, unless it's exclusive third party or not a lesser product than what you can get on a Sony or Microsoft product, it's moot. I used to think third party was so big to Nintendo, but it isn't, not when that support hinders on the real trendsetters in PS4/Xbox One. Let's be real, almost no one hardcore into games is gonna have just a Nintendo system. It's a nice pipe dream to all use retro guys, but when Sony and Microsoft are leading the pack and Nintendo is trying to stay just powerful enough hardware wise to keep up, it is impossible for them to set mainstream third party trends. If the online system also doesn't reflect the current acceptable online community we all expected in 2006, let alone now, it doesn't matter if COD or GTA hit the system regardless.

We've seen this third party dev hype with the Wii and Wii U. It never came to fruition, though the Wii was so huge it garnered good outside the box third party support.

There was nothing wrong with the Wii U controller, in my eyes.

The main complaint people had was that it never justified the expense of the screen for console use. Yet as anyone that watched this trailer can attest to, you will not have a touch screen display when connecting this to your television. It will be hidden away in the dock.

Switch either functions as an independent handheld, or you dock it and play on your tv like a console. There is no 2nd screen support like the Wii U had and which largely under delivered outside of Super Mario Maker and other limited circumstances (I think most that did appreciate it like I did, largely did so just for off-screen play).

Switch is a single display all of the time, regardless of form factor.

Edited by Atariboy

There was nothing wrong with the Wii U controller.

The main complaint people had was that it never justified the expense of the screen for console use. Yet as anyone that watched this trailer can attest to, you will not have a touch screen display when connecting this to your television.

it either functions as an independent handheld, or you dock it and play on your tv. There is no 2nd screen support. It is not at all like a Wii U controller.

It felt like you were holding a brick, the battery life was two hours, hands too far apart and uncomfortable triggers, the Wii U tablet was mediocre at best and its functionality a total miscue.

A few thoughts for a successful launch: has the issue of storing games on the cloud, rather than to a single device been addressed? That's a big one. First party games and maybe some exclusives need to be available right from the jump- nobody gives a shit about ports. Also the tablet should be a touch screen for VC portable content and kiddie games.

I'd like to add that I'm excited about this

Edited by toptenmaterial

After sleeping on it for a while I still really like the idea of the Nintendo Switch, mainly because I've only owned Nintendo consoles for the last couple generations and missed out on a lot of great third party games that could finally end up getting ported to a Nintendo console now. I also dig the idea of being able to play full featured home console games on the go, but taking this behemoth of a handheld with me might be no easy task.

So far the Switch is the only portable console Nintendo has ever produced that is too large to fit in a pocket, which does hamper the portable aspect of it unless you buy a big padded case for it and toss that case in a messenger bag or backpack. The enormous width of the system does make me wonder though, what did their early prototypes look like? Maybe something like this? :P

6rFKzFr.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

So far the Switch is the only portable console Nintendo has ever produced that is too large to fit in a pocket,

Virtualboy was portable, it was one of the selling points, also the gameboy DMG was quite hard to fit into pockets, let alone 1990 tight pants pockets, hince the very next model was "gameboy pocket"

what did their early prototypes look like? Maybe something like this?

I always wondered about that layout, who in the heck thought that having mostly wasted space on one side and quite possibly the worst button layout on the other was a good idea, design 101, balance, mean seriously jeez im holding like 50% of the console on one side and on the other I gotta grip it by 3% of the edges

Edited by Osgeld