IGNORED

Atari ST/STE Low Res VGA Cable from coolnovelties.co.uk

cjameslv

I have to wonder why no one has created a scandoubler fot the ST. 15khz monitors are fairly hard to find, from what I have seen, only BenQ makes new ones that support it. And of course not all of their new ones are multisync.

I now have three monitors that work, the Dell 2001FP w/speaker bar, NEC 1970NX, and BenQ BL912. The last one probably looks the nicest in Medium resolution and overall has more fine grain controls than the others. All look fine in ST high and Low. Sadly, due to these oddities, I end up using my TT030 and Falcon more often, because they just work over VGA.

Does this mean that there's still no one-cable/adapter fits all solution for the poor ST? I've just got back into it now, and was hoping someone might have stepped up and provided a solution by now :(

Ya that is a good point. I have been wondering about that too from time to time. One would think that the pro guys like Lotherik, exxos, or other great hardware builders would have come up with a solution by now. Occasionally someone will start an adapter of some kind, but they never finish or get it to market. It must be very hard to do or it would have been done by now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The link is dead.

I used the internet archive payback machine and google translate and got this:

The ODIN (Optical Device Interface) graphics card from Marvin AG was simply switched between the Atari ST / Mega ST (also STE) computer and the required VGA monitor. In addition to the well-known ST resolutions, 320x480 256 colors and 640x480 16 colors were also available. In subsequent driver versions, other resolutions should follow. The graphic card did not have its own graphics chip, but received the image data in succession in up to 5 "pseudo-images" which were reassembled into an image in the ODIN graphics card with the help of a (then new) IC of the company Xilinx and output to the monitor. The whole thing was relatively slow in contrast to graphics cards with their own graphics chip. The ODIN hardware was available as a kit and as a ready-made device. The latter cost about 399 DM at the beginning of 1992.

The technical data:
Frequency of 31.5 kHz horizontal / 60 or 70 Hz vertical
-256 kB Video RAM as image memory
-Xilinx Runtime Reprogrammable Gatearray as Controller
-256 colors simultaneously from a pallet of 262144
-13 Italien. ST monitor connection as input
-15 pol. VGA connector RGB analog output
-40 pol. expansion bus
- Power supply: DC 9-12 V, 500 mA, ground outside
Dimensions: 130 x 60 x 30 mm (length x width x height)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Best cable is the one true cable/adapter as it does low/medium color and the hi-res monochrome. I'm not sure which monitor is the best though. I was hoping the NEC EA190M would be it as it has integrated speakers that (while not the best) are decent sounding and take up no additional space.

I'll have to beg to differ. But I'm biased since I've designed these. :)

5920baaa9bb04183c49f6cb878e9fe95.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yeah, been following you on Facebook -- these are awesome, truly nice work. Maybe the Best cable is the best one currently for sale. Let us know when we can buy these so we can change our minds. :)

I'll have to beg to differ. But I'm biased since I've designed these. :)

5920baaa9bb04183c49f6cb878e9fe95.jpg