IGNORED

dye - 2nd place ASC 2016

Irgendwer

I like to thank everybody who voted for "dye". (My subliminal message in the passwords worked quite well. ;) )

It's a pleasure to see that an unconventional game can also be rated that high.

Thanks to all competitors to make this contest that exciting!

Like promised, here the updated "post contest version":

Changes:
* added a new level
* number of step fixes for two levels
* improved keyboard handling
* all buttons are supported now for CX77/CMI08
* ATRACT mode deactivated

* PMG area should be cleared now

Please note:
Level passwords have changed and are different to contest version.

This version has still issues on NTSC machines. If I find the time, I'll produce an update.

dye.xex

• Like 19

I would love to see an update for NTSC machines. Right now, I have to play all of my PAL games in Altirra since I have not found a monitor that supports 50Hz. I have a PAL ANTIC chip, but it does not help without an appropriate monitor which is not as easy to find in the US.

Bob C

• Like 3

I would love to see an update for NTSC machines. Right now, I have to play all of my PAL games in Altirra since I have not found a monitor that supports 50Hz. I have a PAL ANTIC chip, but it does not help without an appropriate monitor which is not as easy to find in the US.

Bob C

Get an old school Commodore 1702!

Have you considered adding acceleration to the cursor? It would speed it up without making it too difficult to precisely hit a location.

It is already on my 2 do for improvements (someone else suggested it already). Honestly I find it not that important, since when using 1-5 for the colour selection you rarely move the cursor big distances around. Another reason could be that I use the CX77 input... ;)

Congratulations to the 2nd place. A reason why dye collected so many points maybe that it's also a game for occasional players, since the first levels are easy enough and a tutorial is included in the game. And I suppose a quite large part of the voters are occasional players.

And thanks for the new version of this fantastic game - I already played it and found the new level. The keyboard handling is now perfect. And since I know the password scheme, I was able to guess most of the new passwords. And I found the new "subliminal" message ;-)

I already played it and found the new level. The keyboard handling is now perfect. And since I know the password scheme, I was able to guess most of the new passwords. And I found the new "subliminal" message ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. 'WASD' or cursor keys work now satisfactory too. Why do I not wonder, that you are already through with the new version... ;)

Regarding a further version I'll start a poll soon.

tried every setting and the game still does not run on my Altirra with "The emulated system has stopped due to a program error" msg.

it means I haven't tried every setting, obviously.

what should I look at?

Try mine:

View -> Vertical Sync

System -> Hardware-> 600XL/800XL

System -> Memory Config -> 1088K

System -> Video -> PAL / NO Artifacting / Standard video

- Y -

what should I look at?

Hmmm - nothing special. It runs in atari800 straight from the start without arguments.

I had some issues with Altirra 2.81 too, but other versions just do fine (64k, PAL, XL).

Since phaeron suggested the joystick improvement here, I guess the game itself runs also with his settings...

Reset settings & start over?

i've run the "First Time Setup" and it works now!

maybe it was something with BASIC settings, cause what else?. Cannot recreate.

btw - played already on atari800 and it bloody roxxxx. we did not deserve this gem.

would only add sth like faster cursor move with shift pressed.

Edited by pirx
  • Like 1

Tell you what adam242,

How about you find us all 50 hz PAL CRT monitors and ship them to all of us :) then travel around setting everyone up with pal chip mods for their Atari's and install them.... I wouldn't mind that all.... A nice energetic younger person such as yourself can step up to the plate and start donating and doctoring up machines for the 10's of thousands of people whom really could use the complete Atari 60/50 library experience.. Heck I'll even toss you one of my older soldering stations, as you travel about the country your sure to come by my house at some point! :)

• Like 2

Most people are not like us, they may still enjoy retro machines/games but are now being shut out from the fun and after that happens enough times they simply despair and toss the computer in the trash, donate it to the goodwill or ebay it out... slowly killing our base and costing us precious hardware.

To me, a CRT display is a huge part of enjoying said retro games and machines. It's an integral piece of the system. A real 800 or XE with an HDMI upscaler and flat panel display? Might as well be an emulator.

Tell you what adam242,

How about you find us all 50 hz PAL CRT monitors and ship them to all of us :) then travel around setting everyone up with pal chip mods for their Atari's and install them.... I wouldn't mind that all.... A nice energetic younger person such as yourself can step up to the plate and start donating and doctoring up machines for the 10's of thousands of people whom really could use the complete Atari 60/50 library experience.. Heck I'll even toss you one of my older soldering stations, as you travel about the country your sure to come by my house at some point! :)

Wish I could, Doc.. :) It's a relatively easy, relatively inexpensive solution to the problem.

Sorry if I've become something of a broken record evangelist on this point. Whiskey was involved last night.... :-D

• Like 2

I can easily see why this game is a winner - Congratulations! It's a really interesting and unique game. This type of game would be great for use with a touch screen on a smartphone or tablet. You most likely are already aware of the Colleen Atari emulator for Android. It has built-in touchscreen support. I would love to see a touchscreen option for this game.

Thanks,

Hayden

• Like 2

Real Atari always plays best and is a must! CRT with good dot pitch and moderate phosphor duration is a beautiful thing and I do love me some gun games and playing about with the light pen... but a great LCD will get you by without light gun or pen use. But 50 hz does not happen on either here in the states unless you get lucky... In fact same model early production vs later production crt's or lcd's one might the other doesn't.... grrrr.