IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

The interesting part of the last tune is that it is also recognized "real" by the youtube "copyright sniffer" ;)

But, as soon as I put it to Altirra, it's gone.

I did several mixes... but nothing... hmm. Seems there are still timing differences.

Here is one of those.

Edited by emkay

As far as I know, the YouTube Copyright Sniffer still thinks I'm such a lousy chip musician that none of the existing songs I've tried to cover over the years, sounds close enough to the original for it to detect. I'm not sure if I should feel honoured for avoiding the filter, or disappointed for not being recognized. :)

As far as I know, the YouTube Copyright Sniffer still thinks I'm such a lousy chip musician that none of the existing songs I've tried to cover over the years, sounds close enough to the original for it to detect. I'm not sure if I should feel honoured for avoiding the filter, or disappointed for not being recognized. :)

The reason why I'm doing that is simple.

If the sniffer smells the original, the tune cannot be much off.

If the sniffer recognizes the whole thing as original, this means the real "catching" part is captured.

As POKEY never was changed, such stuff even could have been there in 1979... not out of tune included ;)

Well, that's how times changes....

Back in the 80, this tune would be an "Atari Super Hit" .... today ...well ... just no reaction to it ;)

I'd still consider it a super hit today. More impressive that it's can play in the limited time due to displaying a Rasta Convertor image.

I'd still consider it a super hit today. More impressive that it's can play in the limited time due to displaying a Rasta Convertor image.

The question always is not "If it is possible" . The the question is "How can it be done " :)

Since the new RMT library appeared, the playing with needed and possible volume is rather easy.

Well, that's how times changes....

Back in the 80, this tune would be an "Atari Super Hit" .... today ...well ... just no reaction to it ;)

Maybe because most people tuned out during the first 30 seconds where the arpeggio chords are in a different key compared to the bass... at 15/16 seconds in this is very obvious. Once the drums kick in, it's less obvious because the blips in the background actually are in the same key, but the chords are still unbearable IMHO. At 1:02 when the melody starts, it's a breath of relief when finally everything is in the same key. Until at 2:02 of course ... well, you have to sit that through till the break at 2:35, which is pretty nice again up till the end. In other words, check the key of your chords!

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

How about a short edit of the MOD more exactly the pattern using the arpeggios? You find it in the Modarchive.

It's better to do the tune from scratch, to prevent addition of errors.

At the current state, the tune really breaks, if only one pitch is changed. And there exist tunes on the Atari that do breaks like you drive a car against a concrete .... ;)

I actually would try to add filter sounds for the arpeggios. But those wouldn't work, as the programming of the instrument start has never been built in. Playing those fast Arpeggios needs 100% correctness of the software.

Edited by emkay

For now some bass modulations. the tune itself uses portamentos, and as you might know, the bass generator don't like that. So I added some modulations instead. Plus some nifty changes in the arpeggio.

Edited by emkay

This version is recorded in Altirra directly, to have an impression of the starting bass. It's better for the impression , because there is not that unwanted stereo spread effect when using the windows recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnzhQY03yg8

The start is still some "taste" .... But the tune itself is showing more than clear that 4 channel music is available.

Interesting is the comparision of the start and when the tune loops, beginning at around 5:30 ...

Sorry, I still can't listen to the intro. You sure the bass line and arpeggios are in the same key? (the key of C minor that is, three flats)

The bass line during the intro is: | C | C | Bb | Bb | C | C | Bb | Bb | Ab | Ab | Bb | Bb | Ab | Ab | Bb | Bb ||

There are only three chords, which are Ab, Bb and Cm and various inversions of those three.

Ab == Ab C Eb

Bb == Bb D F

Cm == C Eb G

Be sure that the highest note of the inversions is the first note played by the arpeggio.

HTH

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

Sorry, I still can't listen to the intro. You sure the bass line and arpeggios are in the same key? (the key of C minor that is, three flats)

The bass line during the intro is: | C | C | Bb | Bb | C | C | Bb | Bb | Ab | Ab | Bb | Bb | Ab | Ab | Bb | Bb ||

There are only three chords, which are Ab, Bb and Cm and various inversions of those three.

Ab == Ab C Eb

Bb == Bb D F

Cm == C Eb G

Be sure that the highest note of the inversions is the first note played by the arpeggio.

HTH

You know what makes me really wonder? If people do have that musical advance, why don't they make tunes that other people could listen to?

I'll check it.