IGNORED

32k sideport expansion

jedimatt42

Discontinuing a product doesn't make it open. The fact that TI issues licenses to the people who ask strongly suggests they are not releasing it to the wild, even if they aren't chasing after actively right now. ;)

I have to be more careful with the word open... And by no means should the phrase "open-source" be confused with granting copyright. There is plenty of open source out there for which you are not allowed to copy or use. Many licenses allow you to use, but not copy. And no statement of license means in the US, that you are not allowed to copy it even stuff posted on github.

When I suggested the 4A was open, I had in mind the use of the term open as in the OOP, open-closed principle... But in the English sense, it has all been dissected, and diagrammed, and disassembled, and functionally reproduced in emulators and FPGAs. I meant no legal condition.

-M@

The way I see it, there has been call for a "mini PEB" and Matt's 32k cart presents a vehicle to that end. Including building a PEB-compatible back-plane to hold a couple of real PEB cards, if desired. The nanoPEB/CF7+ is a great all-in-one device replacing the standard functions of a PEB, but with Matt's Jedi Port we could even go so far as to create a mini SAMS or mini FDC, and much more.

jediSAMS

jediFDC

(jedi232, jediPIO, jediUSB, etcetera ad naseum.)

Obviously if a parallel port is created it has to break the pattern and be c3PIO.

-M@

• Like 3

The way I see it, there has been call for a "mini PEB" and Matt's 32k cart presents a vehicle to that end. Including building a PEB-compatible back-plane to hold a couple of real PEB cards, if desired. The nanoPEB/CF7+ is a great all-in-one device replacing the standard functions of a PEB, but with Matt's Jedi Port we could even go so far as to create a mini SAMS or mini FDC, and much more.

jediSAMS

jediFDC

(jedi232, jediPIO, jediUSB, etcetera ad naseum.)

Mini-JediPEB like a Corcomp, only 'mini'er' :grin:

By the way, I'll never label anything 'Jedi' anything - 'cause Disney owns trademarks, and control over merchandising. And naming it JediPEB would be a wilful violation. I don't think they would mind my fan-boy avatar name. But making star wars themed toys ( cause TI stuff is toys ) is something they sell licenses for.

Of course, I cannot control what you all want to call it :)

-M@

• Like 1

I don't like the disc emu in the nano/cf7 it's clunky and user unfriendly. Would much prefer a flat fs like hdx or a hard disk. Then u can catalog in dm2k instead of having a printout of all your disk images to remember number 43 is rasmus games.. Etc

Greg, we are in 100% agreement! The thing also drove me nuts trying to keep track of everything. I also had problems on my first two units as the files kept getting corrupted every time I tried saving. Then there was the RS-232 issue on the second one. I was pulling my hair out. I also purchased my mine before Stuarts browser came out, and was really dis-heartened to learn that I could not use it to call Heatwave BBS because the RS-232 is not 100% compatible, so it will not run programs like TIMXT or Telco.

My third unit WAS flaky as well, but actually seems to work properly now. I removed the socketed chips cleaned the contacts and re-inserted them.

The design of the thing also limits a guys ability to expand. It has it's uses, but if I were just starting out all over again knowing what I know now...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The 44pin right angle female header came from china/ebay as an 80 pin that I cut down.

-M@

I know this is a couple months old, but I did find you a reasonably priced source to save cutting down 80-pin sockets.

$1.75 each w/ S&H - they combined shipping for the 10 I ordered ;-] http://www.ebay.com/itm/130970275089

While I'm at it. For those needing the 36-pin GROM port ones too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140888511055