IGNORED

X'eye audio

haightc

I was wondering what audio chip the x'eye uses for cartridge games. The Genesis I had was an early model 1.

From what I have heard online this model had much better sound quality then future units. My question is what sound chip did the x'eye have and how doe it compare to other Genesis models. I have read the the CD portion has better audio chips but there is no mention about cart portion. Based on online audio clips, each version of the genesis sounds progressively worse to my ears.

Far as I know the X'eye uses the same ASIC for the FM found in the model 2 units. However, the CD and perhaps most of the X'eye uses a different audio amp circuit designed by JVC if memory serves. I misplaced my X'eye in the move to the new house 4 years ago... so I can't confirm by cracking one open.

• 5 weeks later...

I did find a clip on YouTube comparing Sonic 1 that include X'EYE. Will the Genesis 1 non TMSS immediately like the genesis from my childhood. The X'eye does sound different, audio seems a little cleaner. I wonder how does the X'Eye compare to the Wondermega 1 and 2? I can probably pick up a wondermega for about the same price as an x'eye. The wondermega has some nifty features, but lacks built in RGB and might have some compatibility issues. Does the the wondermega have better audio than the x'eye?

Wondermega and X'eye should have the same audio chips and amps since they are both JVC. I really need to locate my x'eye...sigh. I have an AV modded Genesis 1 and AV modded 32x, but I really enjoyed my x'eye when it was hooked up.

• 4 weeks later...

The audio comparison I was referring to was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-KsaGBUVz4

They all sound pretty different to me. The first one sounds exactly like how I remember, however of those options listening more critically the x'eye sounds that best.

I've listened to several comparisons between model 1,2,3 and CDX. In those comparisons original hi-def genesis and 3 seem to sound the best.

In theory there shouldn't be as much difference in audio, so it does make me curious in a side by side comparison if the wondermega version and x'eye.

I like the audio more on my X'Eye than on my model one. It outputs stereo through the hd retro vision cables without having to use the extra stereo out function on the cable. I can distinctly here two different channels when I use my headphones as well.

Edited by adamchevy

Wondermega and X'eye should have the same audio chips and amps since they are both JVC.

Depends on which version of the Wondermega you're talking about though. The original Wondermega is totally different and even includes a DSP for audio enhancement. The Wondermega M2 is what the X'Eye is based on and largely has the same circuitry.