Hex disk Holy Grail

13 replies to this topic

#1 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,738 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 AM

Since this thread is to show off what you have and what you are most proud of owning, I thought I would start off small and add more pictures and descriptions along the way!

The real hex disk was found in an Ebay auction where the picture showed it was stuck on the lower left of the switch console under the on/off switch. I have other CX-10 sticks that may have better paint. 

The Paddle is also from the original Heavy Sixer Atari VCS because they changed from the Atari symbol to tennis rackets. 

The boxed Atari SpaceAge Joystick was such an oddity I had to get one. 

med_gallery_29575_733_760848.jpg

#2 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:23 PM

Here's my first entry. I don't have the box, but its in excellent condition. 

Atari Travel Case.jpg

#3 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:04 PM

Since this thread is to show off what you have and what you are most proud of owning, I thought I would start off small and add more pictures and descriptions along the way!

The real hex disk was found in an Ebay auction where the picture showed it was stuck on the lower left of the switch console under the on/off switch. I have other CX-10 sticks that may have better paint. 
The Paddle is also from the original Heavy Sixer Atari VCS because they changed from the Atari symbol to tennis rackets. 

The boxed Atari SpaceAge Joystick was such an oddity I had to get one. 

med_gallery_29575_733_760848.jpg

Ha! That's how I found my hex disk with my Sears heavy sixes. It was stuck to the console.

#4 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,738 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 PM

I have this Travel Case (and possibly a Sears one which is very different).

Anyone know for certain?

An Atari came in it. 

The interior isn't molded plastic, but soft foam which has long since crumbled away so I can't see any impression or how the foam was cut. 

image.jpg

My Atari Travel Case has a broken back hinge, and I haven't figured out a good fix.

Epoxy just seems to break...

Here's my first entry. I don't have the box, but its in excellent condition. 

attachicon.gifAtari Travel Case.jpg

#5 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,472 posts

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:25 PM

I have this Travel Case (and possibly a Sears one which is very different).

Anyone know for certain?

An Atari came in it. 

The interior isn't molded plastic, but soft foam which has long since crumbled away so I can't see any impression or how the foam was cut. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My Atari Travel Case has a broken back hinge, and I haven't figured out a good fix.

Epoxy just seems to break...

Wow , a Sears one ! I have never seen one of those . 

#6 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:52 PM

Never seen a Sears travel case either. 

Thanks for sharing.

#7 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,738 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:53 PM

Wow , a Sears one ! I have never seen one of those . 

Well, even though this case had a Telegames in it, that doesn't mean they were cases for Telegames.
I don't know which is why I asked. :)
It could be just a Sears case used when flying to transport anything.
I think the Atari plastic ones were for rental shops, right?

#8 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:46 AM

I'm not sure if the Atari cases were for rental shops, but they are definitely made to hold a light sixer or 4 switch.  The Heavy fits, but does not sit as well as the others.

#9 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2018 11:04 AM

I forgot to add this pic of my copy of 2600 Boulder Dash.  This is without a doubt a personal holy grail of mine. 

Still chasing hex discs for my CX-10's. :woozy:

2600 Boulder Dash.jpg

#10 Silverfleet OFFLINE  

Silverfleet

Dragonstomper

• 513 posts

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2018 7:34 AM

If we are strictly talking Atari "holy grails", then I have a few to share:

GU7t8hPl.jpg

Here's some 5200 stuff. The track ball was a $2 flea market rescue, and it needs some love. The ball is hard to move, so I need to pull it all apart for a good cleaning. It was literally sitting in a dirty pile of junk! The Wicos were a thrift find by my wife. She scored both, with the Y cables, and 10 games with instruction booklets, for $5!!! When she brought them home, my eyes bugged out of my damn head!  :lol:

cqJFVQul.jpg

qNQ0zUpl.jpg

And since everyone is posting their carry cases, I'll post mine too. Mine was a yard sale find about 10 years ago. I grabbed that with a couple boxes of other stuff, including two Tele-Games light sixer consoles and a pile of boxed (some sealed!) titles. Guy used to collect back in the early 80's but grew out of it, so he was happy to see it go to a good home. I keep my "daily driver" Tele-Games light sixer from that lot (I sold the other one and recouped all my money from the purchase) and I've slowly been filling it with Sears-branded games. Someday, I'd love to get a heavy and get all the launch titles to keep in there.   

#11 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,323 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:46 AM

@Silverfleet - Those are great finds. :thumbsup:   Guess I need to run up to MA and check the flea markets/yard sales. :-D

BTW, if you haven't already done so, please add you Sixer's serial number to "The Light Sixer List": http://atariage.com/...list/?p=4023249

Edited by sramirez2008, Tue Jul 3, 2018 4:38 PM.

#12 80s_Atari_Guy OFFLINE  

80s_Atari_Guy

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:47 AM

Does New old stock, count ?
Here are my few buys from earlier this year.
A NoS Atari 1050, still sealed.
A NoS Atari Tak-Ball.
A NoS Acorn Electron. Only opened to see if it was actually in there.
And what is considered a Holy Grail for ZX Spectrum owners, the Ferguson MA20 RGB Interface.

SyFQZF.jpg
sDgec0.jpg
PqFzke.jpg
6V93To.png
GCv2pS.jpg
kgigeH.jpg
YcsU3C.jpg
2VV6NZ.jpg

#13 NaNoNoiZe OFFLINE  

NaNoNoiZe

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 PM

36935859_2036596066374946_6109831694297071616_n.jpg

#14 Dillweed OFFLINE  

Dillweed

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:17 PM

As far as weird stuff goes, I don't have a whole lot of stuff out of the ordinary. Most of the stuff that I consider "cherished" isn't something very obscure, like my Vectrex or my copy of The Krion Conquest I got for a dollar a garage sale. I've already made a Cassettevision thread, which IS obscure, but by no means a "holy grail." Yet, I do have a few things to show you guys.

First and foremost is a SEGA Space Attack arcade cabinet from '79. It has a slight sound issue I can't work out, but then again- it's probably the caps. The caps inside are still factory. 

DSCN4142.JPG

The only other two oddball objects in my game collection are:

A bizarre copy of Rush N' Attack for the NES, made by Dismac. Dismac is a Brazilian bootlegger company. I picked it up for cheap off Ebay, because I thought it was neat.

By far, the strangest piece on my collection is what you will find next to the Dismac cartridge. A prototype F-1 Race cart, or what appears to be. The story is even more intriguing upon how I got it. A while back, there existed a Mom and Pop game store in our shabby little town. It was a decent store for the time being, it's closed down by now, unfortunately. I went inside to see what inventory they had, and in the cramped supply of NES titles, I found this. It was only eight dollars, too. I'll never know what went inside the store owner's head as he priced this. Maybe he looked up Famicom prices? I really wish I knew. Later, I opened up the cart, despite my better judgement, and found a Famicom/NES converter inside. I have a Hogan's Alley cart with one of these.

DSCN4150.JPG

There is something else I have that I find quite interesting, not a holy grail or anything, but definitely odd. It's a copy of Thunderball! for the Magnavox Odyssey 2. What's so weird about it is there is a label on the back stating it's not to be sold, but to photographed for a Century House catalog. I don't even remember how it wound up in my hands. I can't get a picture of it right now, as my Odyssey 2 games are stored away. I am remodeling my game room, at this time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hex disk, Holy Grail

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users