IGNORED

Pioneer LaserActive Buying Guide - What IS this thing!?

Here's something you don't see everyday: My buddy Crazy Joe & I dive deep into the unique world of Pioneer LaserActive collecting. What IS this thing? How are the games? This is everything you need to know when collecting for one of the more obscure game consoles out there!

Games shown:
Triad Stone
Angel Mate <--Giggity
Manhattan Requiem
Rocket Coaster
Hi-Roller Battle
Vajra
Maze Mania
There is not many people who collect for the LaserActive specifically, but does anybody here collect laserdisc movies?! I would, but I already committed a section of my game room to music vinyl instead.
  • Like 4

I collect laserdiscs. From a moviephile standpoint there isn't any real reason to do so. In some specific cases laserdiscs could be (and were) better than DVD's, but all those reasons are trumped by HD video and Blu-ray.

But from a nostalgia standpoint, and also for the sake of preserving those few movies that still haven't been released in proper form on any other optical media (looking at you, Star Wars), they're great, even if they do take up an ungodly amount of room. I tell myself repeatedly I'm crazy for hanging onto these things, but I just can't bring myself to give them up (yet?). Especially when talking about Criterion Collection editions and the 2-disc gatefold releases of the '90s, you just won't find any snazzier home video packaging anywhere else.

• Like 4

I started buying laserdiscs so I had one more way to watch movies and take advantage of good deals.

Since then, the price of DVDs have come down (now to the point I get a huge stack every weekend at the fleamarket for less than $1 each) and I don't watch LDs much anymore.

I do have the Star Wars Trilogy Definitive Collection, which is still my favorite version. I've even been thinking about getting whatever I need to copy it to DVD, (or just keep it digital on my computer) and get rid of all my LD stuff, but haven't of course, because its one more project I'll think about and probably never actually implement.

Blerf. Like I need more digital crap around the house. It's not a very BIG house, you know! I've got to carefully choose what I want and what I don't really need, and believe me, I don't really need a big-ass laserdisc player with media the size of dinner plates.

It's weird, though. My aunt brought over some capacitance discs, which immediately went into the shed behind the house. They're about the size of laser discs, but brother, they ain't laser discs. Quite inferior to them, actually. They're basically high-tech LPs that play videos, and they work about as well as that description suggests.

There is not many people who collect for the LaserActive specifically, but does anybody here collect laserdisc movies?! I would, but I already committed a section of my game room to music vinyl instead.

Yes, the white boxes are each full of laserdiscs, also have a ton of C.E.D. movies

post-21805-0-54228100-1477834981_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The removable drives cost almost as much as the laseractive. This system is way too expensive for me.

Agreed. This video got me interested in the system but when I checked out ebay it was a huge turn off. I'd rather put the money towards games that I would enjoy. It's still a really cool system though and I'd love to get one for a decent price.

Another uninformed video. Here's a summary for those who haven't watched it, "That's crazy!"

Also the US Turbo Duo used the smaller controller connector, it wasn't just for the PC-Engine. But hey, facts never got in the way of your videos in the past, why start now?

And the Chameleon was first called out as a fraud on here.

That's crazy!

• Like 2

But hey, facts never got in the way of your videos in the past, why start now?

I do the best job I can and we try to get facts right...but I always own up to mistakes when pointed out. They are going to happen in videos where it's more of a conversation than just reading a scripted wikipedia article in video. The comment sections is where follow-ups occurs because it's impossible to edit a video once uploaded.

As for calling out the Chameleon, I didn't say Joe did it first... but Sean got him banned from FB...so theres a bit of history between them.

Edited by Metal Jesus
  • Like 1

Well, I enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting it up!

I need to stop watching your stuff, though. Every time I see all of those big box PC games sitting in the background, I get tempted to accumulate more of them. LOL.

Thanks! I plan on covering more big box PC stuff in the future. I just completed my SSI Gold Box collection and I'm excited to share that. Neverwinter Night AOL was a very tough game to get for a reasonable price!

Awesome! I'm not really a "completist" collector and generally stick to picking up the games I remember having back in the day, or picking up ones I rented/borrowed or simply always wanted. But it's always cool to see the collections people can put together and learning about games I never heard of.

During the 90s, I rocked a SNES and a Pentium powered PC running Win95. Lasted me all the way till well into the PS2 era.

Anyway, looking forward to see if you ever do a review of Interplay games. They had a lot of good titles, Descent being EASILY my favorite, and one I still play all the time today.

Anyway, looking forward to see if you ever do a review of Interplay games. They had a lot of good titles, Descent being EASILY my favorite, and one I still play all the time today.

Descent 1 & 2 were AMAZING when the first came out!! I saw the reboot at PAX a few months ago and it looks like it's going to be a worthy successor.

Well, I enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting it up!

I need to stop watching your stuff, though. Every time I see all of those big box PC games sitting in the background, I get tempted to accumulate more of them. LOL.

I actually have started sending some of my new/sealed PC big box games over to The Strong in Rochester, NY for future gens to look at and possibly interact with. The Strong is a museum of epic proportions and they take video game preservation dead seriously. PC big box art is a dying area of game art that I will sorely miss. One of my favorite big box games and my sealed mint copy, Terminator: Future Shock from Bethesda, just made its way there among others. If you ever have the time and money to visit, it is very well worth the trip.

http://www.museumofplay.org/

• Like 1

The Strong is a museum of epic proportions and they take video game preservation dead seriously. PC big box art is a dying area of game art that I will sorely miss.

Paul Allen (of Microsoft) started the Living Computer Museum here in Seattle and it has a section dedicated to big box PC games... pretty cool... but it's no where near what I have or LazyGameReviews or some of the other big collectors out there. It's tough, because there are literally 10s of thousands of vintage PC games...and they are getting harder and harder to find. It's cool you are making sure yours ends up some where others can appreciate them too.

Paul Allen (of Microsoft) started the Living Computer Museum here in Seattle and it has a section dedicated to big box PC games... pretty cool... but it's no where near what I have or LazyGameReviews or some of the other big collectors out there. It's tough, because there are literally 10s of thousands of vintage PC games...and they are getting harder and harder to find. It's cool you are making sure yours ends up some where others can appreciate them too.

I love the Living Computer Museum and it is one of the more interactive museums out there. I also love the fact that they have old timers still coming in and keeping the old mainframes in their mock data center operating. The Strong is a completely different beast. The upstairs area is more of a glass case display area and a few consoles to interact with, but they have a research center where you can schedule time with any of their collection which is out of public view for the most part. So if you are writing a book or research paper on the subject you can get personal time with parts of the collection from what I understand.

I currently am in the Seattle area for the winter and will be visiting the Living Computer Museum again. It's been a few years and I am looking forward to see what has changed. I also like another Paul Allen venture and it's called Cinerama. My favorite theater in the USA. Chocolate popcorn baby!

• 6 months later...

Any time I'm in a Goodwill, I always double check the electronics area hoping to find a $10 LaserActive that someone thought was an old CD or LD player. I've been looking for years with no luck, but I can still dream.

I would certainly never pay market price for something like that.

***Edit*** I didn't realize how old this thread was. I thought something seemed odd since I hadn't seen a Metal Jesus video on the LaserActive recently. :P

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2