IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

Pulsar by Sega/Gremlin - it's a really fun game, and I think the 7800 could improve upon the original.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9150

[youtube[

Wow I have never even heard of this one . I love the eerie kind of sounds in it ... I would assume you would need the pokey to pull off all those sounds . Very cool game though !

• Like 1

Errr sorry. Maybe someday you'll return to it? Hope so :P :thumbsup:

Thank you :) I did post the source, so if anyone wanted to take it over RevEng they are welcome to do so :P

We need another Pacman game, Pac Land! The control scheme could be made to be compatible with the 2600 Track and Field controller, like the arcade.

I would think Crystal Quest could be hacked (graphics and layout) to be made into Pac-Land... Is there anything that Pac-Land does that BBCQ does not do?

That being said, once my current project is complete (not a 7800 one), I'd like to get back to this.

• Like 5

You've given the community some great games. I remember buying Space Duel,PacMan Collection, and all the variations of Asteroids you made years ago. Some of my most favorites games on the system dude,well done.

Nothing wrong with stepping away though,sometimes life just takes us to new phases is all.

Hope someday you make a return to programming,but if not you've made your mark in this community with all the cherished games we have to enjoy from it.

Thank you :) I did post the source, so if anyone wanted to take it over RevEng they are welcome to do so :P

I would think Crystal Quest could be hacked (graphics and layout) to be made into Pac-Land... Is there anything that Pac-Land does that BBCQ does not do?

That being said, once my current project is complete (not a 7800 one), I'd like to get back to this.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 5

You've given the community some great games. I remember buying Space Duel,PacMan Collection, and all the variations of Asteroids you made years ago. Some of my most favorites games on the system dude,well done.

Nothing wrong with stepping away though,sometimes life just takes us to new phases is all.

Hope someday you make a return to programming,but if not you've made your mark in this community with all the cherished games we have to enjoy from it.

Thank you :)

...but I'm not done yet :evil:

:D

• Like 8

AtariBrian, on 21 Nov 2016 - 5:59 PM, said:

Wow I have never even heard of this one . I love the eerie kind of sounds in it ... I would assume you would need the pokey to pull off all those sounds . Very cool game though !

Yeah part of what I really liked about Pulsar was the sinister sounds going on, If it wasn't the scary sound FX of the maze moving around, there was that creepy heartbeat sound underneath it all...I could honestly picture it as a soundtrack to a horror/sci-fi movie...

Kosmic Stardust, on 22 Nov 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

Aw3some PMP, can't wait to see what you have in store later. Any updates on Baby Pac? Someone in this thread did mention a distinct lack of pinball games, hint, hint! :grin:

As if the spooky sounds of Pulsar aren't bad enough, now Kosmic Stardust is reading my mind again... :P

• Like 1

A few modifications necessary besides graphics and layout, but nothing too much (I don't think):

:ponder:

-Floating/Moving bonus items: Fruit, 1Ups.

-Logs/platform moving vertically.

-Shooting (Water) items: Fire hydrants, water geysers.

-Spring/Diving board: Super Long (Float) Jumps.

-Magic Shoes (Return Trips): Double, Triple mid-air jumps.

-Push/Move Items: Tree stump warp, Fire hydrant hard hat.

Stuff would be stripped from BBCQ such as boss battles, greatly reduced number of different enemy, less parallax scrolling, no shooting, etc., that should hopefully accommodate or 'wash-out' the necessary resources for additions.

We need another Pacman game, Pac Land! The control scheme could be made to be compatible with the 2600 Track and Field controller, like the arcade.

Track and Field controller simulates tapping joystick left (Run - left button), tapping joystick right (Run - right button), and the pressing the fire button (Action button). It would indeed work (ideal) for Pac-Land too. :)

Not really Arcade games but would like to see and play games like Castlevania, Super Mario Bros., Contra, and The Legend of Zelda, maybe a Pitfall 7800, Zaxxon, Robocop, 1942,1943, Hang-on, Air Wolf ,

Enduro racer, Dragons Lair,Spy Hunter, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Pengo (pengo is on the 2600 but not the 7800) Road Blasters,Battle Zone,Duck Hunt, Thunder Blade, Some sort of Light gun games, But only if done right and the 7800 is used to its full potential graphics wise,

On a side note.

I'd like to see a good football & baseball game for the 7800!

The 7800 hangs its head in shame because of the ones it has!

I'm not a Sports Game fan at all, so it never bothered me. but yeah - arguably the weakest genre on the system.

Only one I enjoyed was Basketbrawl, and that's not reaaaly a sports title in the traditional sense.

• Like 1

On a side note.

I'd like to see a good football & baseball game for the 7800!

The 7800 hangs its head in shame because of the ones it has!

If we're going to talk sports game, lets get a good hockey game out there. Hat Trick is a sorry port.

And pinball. For the love of god, we need a good pinball game on the 7800. If the 2600 can do Midnight Magic, the 7800 should be able to handle a great pinball game.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Elevator Action as well.

There's one I hadn't thought of,

But Elevator Action would be cool!

I actually used to own the coin op of it...I say used to because I put it in this apartment building I lived in when I was in college. It was on the first floor by some vending machines (this was in the mid 90's)...And one day I went down there and it was just gone!

• Like 1

There's one I hadn't thought of,

But Elevator Action would be cool!

I actually used to own the coin op of it...I say used to because I put it in this apartment building I lived in when I was in college. It was on the first floor by some vending machines (this was in the mid 90's)...And one day I went down there and it was just gone!

I remember going to some week-long computer camp at a college when I was about 13 and they had an Elevator Action machine in the arcade outside the cafeteria. I played it quite a bit that week. I always liked Infiltrate on the 2600 because it had a similar vibe, although obviously quite a different game.

• Like 1

BydoEmpire, on 23 Nov 2016 - 3:17 PM, said:BydoEmpire, on 23 Nov 2016 - 3:17 PM, said:

I remember going to some week-long computer camp at a college when I was about 13 and they had an Elevator Action machine in the arcade outside the cafeteria. I played it quite a bit that week. I always liked Infiltrate on the 2600 because it had a similar vibe, although obviously quite a different game.

Yeah no doubt!

I like Infiltrate...But my cartridge of it was so quirky and flaky...I cleaned it greatly, but still it would only work if ya put it in and began pulling it back out, on one side or the other, in small increments until it worked again...Also the moon had to be in waning gibbous, it had to be nightfall on an odd numbered day, certain celestial events unknown to most men had to be occurring, there needed to be a seventh son within a quarter mile, you had to speak the words "nindinugga nimshimshargall" 5 times in rapid succession without missing a syllable...And then of course, begin chanting, "Klaatuu, veraata, nikto..." right as you turned on your Atari ... :skull:

It was a hard game to get to work, was my point.

:-o

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was pondering the other day what popular genres of games from the 8-bit era the Atari 7800 is missing, and there's really not much. In spite of the limited size of the 7800's library it still has tons of great arcade games, a few platformers (Scrapyard Dog and soon Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest), a couple action adventure games with puzzle solving elements (Midnight Mutants and Impossible Mission), some light gun games, and a handful of good racing and sports titles as well.

The only popular game genre from the 8-bit days that's really missing on the Atari 7800 is RPGs. The NES had Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior series and the Master System had Phantasy Star, Ultima IV, Ys, and a few others; but there's nothing like that on the Atari 7800. A roleplaying game that can keep you sitting with a controller in your hands for hours on end engaging in random battles, customizing and leveling up your characters, and enjoying a long drawn out story.

It's probably a long shot, but I'd sure love it if one day someone managed to port some of those classic NES or Master Sysrem RPGs to the Atari 7800. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...