IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

Kevin did an awesome job updating the graphics in Double Dragon working within the same sprite templates and ROM size constraints of the retail original. The demo with POKEY sound overlay shows how much better the game's graphics and audio could have been even with just 128K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPHU0Bp6DI

If 256K would have been allocated, the originally intended sound chip(s) on carts, and overall better development resources from Atari, Double Dragon under the Atari 7800 could have been pretty incredible.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Phoenix is my favorite Arcade shooter of the Golden Age. A valiant effort was made on the 2600, bit it falls considerably short and Eagle Empire on the C64 just doesn't cut it.

A 7800 port would be fantastic to witness.

Imitating the MN6221AA melody chip sound would be a key aspect of a great port; curious how (well) it would translate to both TIA and POKEY. One great thing about the melody when considering TIA sound, is it initiates playback when there's little to no action on the screen, just a scrolling star field at most for the majority of the melody. Granted, towards the end of its play through the next stage is engaged, but that could be a slight difference/compromise to not have the next stage begin and continue a scrolling star field until the melody completes in having TIA manage the melody adequately.

Hearing game themes such as Man Goes Down for the 2600 and T:ME Salvo on the 7800, leads to believe the TIA could pull off the Phoenix jingle very well.

• Like 1

Running along the older Apogee (Arcade-like) titles in addition to Duke Nukem, Jill of the Jungle and/or Xargon are not too far off when considering the title Get Lost.

Seeing any of the above brought to complete fruition on the 7800 would be sweet.

It just occured to me that Commander Keen would be awesome on the 7800!

• Like 1

How about these:

;)

• Like 2

Hmm...can the Atari 7800 handle a 3/4 isometric perspective? Look at the difficulties that the Atari 2600 had with that view; witness Zaxxon and Congo Bongo.

Atari 7800 is able to handle a 3/4 perspective games. I am going by how the 7800 handled Desert Falcon. The 7800 handled Desert Falcon better than the 2600 was able to. Desert Falcon is Zaxxon-esque shooter. Desert Falcon I believe is the only proof that the 7800 can handle 3/4 prospective games.

Atariprotos.com has information on the two versions of Desert Falcon and has images also.

Here is a link to Atari Protos.com Atari 2600 Desert Falcon page: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/desertfalcon/desertfalcon.htm

Here is a link to the Atari Protos.com Atari 7800 Desert Falcon page : http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/desertfalcon/desertfalcon.htm

Edited by 8th lutz