Only a few years late to this party, I finally got around to buying Byte Knight's board and actually using it! He's been super patient and put up with many silly stories about my effort on this project as well as sometimes inane questions. Thanks again, Byte Knight!
Maybe some pictures later but here's what I've managed so far:
- Finally putting the Raspberry Pi B+ purchased in 2014 to its intended use!
- Powered via a 5V, 3A supply (gotta be generous just in case) via the Fashback's power button assembly
- Reset header installed on the Pi, Flashback button connected to it
- Repaired and modded the original Flashback motherboard so it has its own headers for power and A/V. If for some bizarre reason it ever gets used again, it can easily be swapped back in.
- Modded case for access to the AutoSense button on Byte Knight's board
- If you want to stop yourself from going crazy, remember to disable the joystick option in some random config file that I can't remember the name and location of any more -- though Emulation Station does have a UI someplace for doing it. This was something that manifested itself in truly bizarre ways while playing games. More below on that fun.
- Latest RetroPie 4.4 w/ Emulation Station installed and running
- Very latest jzintv built on this Pi, working like a champ
Now the TODOs:
- Still need to work out the theme
- Game metadata and box artwork, etc.
- Figure out elegant HDMI panel mount
- USB panel mount
- Possibly expose the composite jack as a panel mount
The game metadata / artwork process is a bit of a sore spot, as the built-in scraper doesn't play nice with my ROM file names. Tried the Sselph scraper (no custom arguments) also without success. Haven't delved into how that one identifies games.
That leads me to potential rabbit hole of a project, which may or may not be of interest to anyone else. Since many of the images over at thegamesdb.net for Intellivision are from INTV Funhouse already anyway, I'm tempted to create a "scraper" specifically for Intellivision games that would harvest the images from my site. It's already got a game database with just about all the same data in it that Emulation Station exposes via its built-in metadata editor. A half-dozen different ways to approach this problem come to mind, but ultimately, aside from my own personal edification in doing it, would anyone else find such a thing useful?
After copying jzintv onto the system, I tested it from the command line with the hackfile and it worked like a dream. But launching from Emulation Station, truly strange behavior with the controller would happen. The disc worked fine, but the keypad and action keys were another matter. In the MTE-201 test, I observed that if you did nothing with the controllers until you got to the controller part of the test, you could get one good keypad input. Then things went loopy. For example, pressing the  key worked. But if you pressed  again, you got . Depending on what you did thereafter, you may have been able to get the keypad working again in your game, but it was bizarre. Ultimately Byte Knight put me onto the right trail by wondering if maybe two programs were trying to use the controller input at the same time. That proved to be the situation. In fact, that just made me realize that it's time to go read up on how exactly those hotkey settings work...
Thanks again to Byte Knight for making these boards, intvdave for those "reference" RetroPie images to look at over at his site, mthompson for digging into the themes and creating artwork, and so many more of the trailblazers that made this path easier.
Oh - and this is post #3000!