IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 2 and Schell Electronic

Everett1954

Did he just leave the retro-gaming scene or ??

Yes, he left the retro-gaming scene. One of his posts from last year stated, "Indeed it's been a few years since I've been here. I took the site down. Moving on and all that." Too bad he took the site down, as it would have been a valuable reference to those who own his various products, but he probably wanted a clean break.

Man, looking through my emails I see I did purchase a Cuttle Cart 3 in 2010, but I now have no idea where it is!! I also have the CC1 and CC2, and at least I know where those are. :)

..Al

• Like 1

Yes, he left the retro-gaming scene. One of his posts from last year stated, "Indeed it's been a few years since I've been here. I took the site down. Moving on and all that." Too bad he took the site down, as it would have been a valuable reference to those who own his various products, but he probably wanted a clean break.

Man, looking through my emails I see I did purchase a Cuttle Cart 3 in 2010, but I now have no idea where it is!! I also have the CC1 and CC2, and at least I know where those are. :)

..Al

I have the CC1, too... somewhere... I really hope it's in one my big plastic bins full of carts.

Albert,

Thanks for the incite, sorry that Atari community lost another hardware developer. I agree with eebuckeye that it would have been nice if he shared some of his designs and documentation. If he is completely out of it, which it appears to be as

he sold his stuff in the marketplace last year, I can see not hosting the website, It costs money.

I see he did a Classic Gaming show in 2001 ,looks like he always sold out of his cartridges too. I never got to meet or PM with him and don't own any of his products, but would love to have a CC2 if one shows up reasonable, not likely!

I hope you find your CC3 cart...that's a terrible thing to lose!

Yes, he left the retro-gaming scene. One of his posts from last year stated, "Indeed it's been a few years since I've been here. I took the site down. Moving on and all that." Too bad he took the site down, as it would have been a valuable reference to those who own his various products, but he probably wanted a clean break...

Albert,

Thanks for the incite, sorry that Atari community lost another hardware developer. I agree with eebuckeye that it would have been nice if he shared some of his designs and documentation...

An archive of the website for the CC2 and all related files, plus more, downloadable from this post, if interested.

I think he stopped producing the CC2 due to lack of demand. IIRC he made a second batch of carts only to have to sit on them a long time and eventually sell them for a discount. I picked up a 2nd one at the time I didnt need to help him move them.

Of course once the 2nd batch finally sold out there was plenty of people asking for one - he was done then :)

I think slow sales of the CC3 also hurt things.

Also, Chad mentioned that at least one of the parts that make up the Cuttle Cart 2 is discontinued:

"Well all the CC2s have finally made it to their owners. So I will be selling the spares soon. I'm going to choose names by random from the second run mailing list and offer them to those people first.

If you were hoping to get one of the spares and are not on the list, you need to join now for a chance. See http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml for details.

As for a second run, the waiting list is no where near long enough to do one. And I was just informed today that one of the parts in the CC2 has been discontinued. So I have to say it doesn't look very good."

The above was from over a dozen years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Speaking of the Cuttle Cart 2, just used mine today.... Does anybody still have access to the menu converter utility, and if so could you post it? I'm trying to add some homebrews/protos, and manually changing the cc2 file seems to mess things up.... For that matter does anyone have updated menus to share?

Thank you....

I remember my CC1 died on me fairly early on in its lifetime, and If I recall he basically said there was nothing he could do about it, buy the CC2 :lol: So I did. I think that one is still working but I'm not a huge fan of using the 7800 too much.

I haven't really looked at 2600 Flashcarts since then but maybe I should especially since I went on an Everdrive binge. Is the Kroc cart the de-facto standard today for 2600 consoles?

I remember my CC1 died on me fairly early on in its lifetime, and If I recall he basically said there was nothing he could do about it, buy the CC2 :lol: So I did. I think that one is still working but I'm not a huge fan of using the 7800 too much.

I haven't really looked at 2600 Flashcarts since then but maybe I should especially since I went on an Everdrive binge. Is the Kroc cart the de-facto standard today for 2600 consoles?

No, Harmony Encore is the best, at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still observing this thread, but I do have a CC2 I got off eBay some time ago, second (or possibly third) hand. It's been working great until the MMC socket broke off. I need to solder on a new one, but I don't know what the exact part number is for the socket. Does anyone out there still have the parts list or bill-of-materials for the CC2?

Can someone make it easier for us who want to get a 7800 SD cart, we don't know when Concerto will be available and I got myself a near-mint 7800 in order to use it, can someone at least pirate the Cuttle Cart 2 hardware/software so some developers and 7800 owners who only own all of the ROMs for it (all .a78 files) can use it???

32 minutes ago, XEGS'r said:

Not sure if anyone is still observing this thread, but I do have a CC2 I got off eBay some time ago, second (or possibly third) hand. It's been working great until the MMC socket broke off. I need to solder on a new one, but I don't know what the exact part number is for the socket. Does anyone out there still have the parts list or bill-of-materials for the CC2?

Actually, the MMC cart slot matches to the newer SD standard. I've installed standard SD slots on at least 2 other CC2 carts now so you don't have to limit yourself to the original MMC slot that was on them. Aside from the SD card slot being attached, it also requires that the cart itself be widened on the slot to make room. Also, as the SD slot is taller, it will stick out of the end of the cart a little bit. But for he ease of using an SD over the MMC, most would rather go with the SD cards.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 3:19 AM, Tinman said:

I have the CC1, too... somewhere... I really hope it's in one my big plastic bins full of carts.

If you ever want to trade it.... me! me!

I have a number of "development-type" cartridges; probably the only thing I could class as a '2600 "collection".

I'd like to add the CC to the small grouping.

Edit: Dunce me replied to a necro-post.  Bah.

Edited by Andrew Davie

On 10/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, BIGHMW said:

can someone at least pirate the Cuttle Cart 2 hardware/software

Seriously?

Can't believe I am reading this "F-You" to those who labored over the Cuttle Cart and to those who are working on their own versions of that product.  

Not cool.

• Like 4